Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need help! Dealership broke my fiesta then claims the stock pedals are "aftermarket"

tl;dr - Mitchell Selig Ford in New London, CT says my stainless steel brake line collapsed and needed to be replaced to finish a simple brake job. Then they claim my "aftermarket pedals" are causing the caliper to stick. My car has stock pedals. So they basically charged me an additional 250$ to fix something that wasn't a problem and blame the stock Ford parts for being "aftermarket".

Well, I didn't want this to be my first post on a forum but I am running out of options and I'm trying to be polite about this. This is a bit of a long read but I'm trying to be thorough. Maybe someone on here can help? And if this isn't acceptable or if there's a specific person on here to contact, please message me.

Some backstory to this - I have a 2014 Fiesta ST with 58,000 miles on it at time of service (now at 59,000). I went on a road trip and didn't check my brakes before I left. Big mistake, I'll admit. I drove from Grand Rapids, MI to New London, CT. About 2/3 the way there, I hear a grinding noise from my brakes when I'm coming to a stop. Sure enough, my brake pads are toast. I check google and there's a Ford dealership near where I'm staying (Mitchell Selig Ford). So I limp it along and make it to my destination. Come morning, I drop my car off at the dealership and prepare to bite the bullet. 350ish estimate for discs, pads, and labor. Discs don't appear to be too scarred but I agree to play it safe and just pay the idiot tax for not checking on it. So, here's where the issue begins...

The dealership calls me up the same day and says that I have a collapsed brake line that caused my caliper to stick. I didn't agree with this at the time but I also just wanted my car back...So I reluctantly resigned myself to this new fate. Before I move on, I want to repeat the dealership claim because it is relevant later - The dealership said my caliper will not release properly and a kinked brake line is to blame. So they quote me for new front lines and a brake bleed. They don't have the lines in stock so they need to be ordered and sent in. But this also means I won't get it until the last day of my 4 day trip and I'll be late getting back on the road. It is what it is, so I agree and move on.

Fast forward to the afternoon that I was supposed to pick up my car. I was told it would be "just an hour - the lines are off, just need to put on new ones and bleed the system". 2 hours later, I pick up my car and the offending brake lines. Sure enough, there is a dent of sorts in one of my brake lines. But it didn't seem severe enough to cause the issues they were talking about. And again, I never noticed anything even with all of my track and autocross days. They then changed their earlier claim. The dealership now said that the brake bleed took a while because my caliper would not release and "aftermarket pedals" are to blame And sure enough, they even put it down on my write up (see pictures below). They also mentioned that they had to adjust my brake switch, and "Someone really did a number on your pedals!" and other stuff. They're not really consistent on what they did but at this point, I'm tired, I have a lot of driving to do, and I also have a work trip to attend to on the way home that I can't be late for. So I sign and 600$ later, I'm off.....kind of.

About 5 minutes down the road, it is obvious things are wrong. My cruise control won't disengage when I press the brakes. It actually makes my engine surge to try and overpower the brakes until I really slam on them, at which point the cruise disengages and my car nose dives under the heavy braking. I also notice that the brake light doesn't turn on until the pedal is halfway to the floor. Oh and my car is way down on power - like there's a severe boost leak. I took some video of my issues and continued on. I was late enough and I had zero faith in the dealership as I left. I did not attempt to do any repairs or diagnosis on the side of the road both due to lack of time and because I wanted an independent inspection

I called up the service advisor for Mitchell Selig a few days later and we agreed I would take it into my local shop for an official diagnosis before we do any mitigation.

Brought it to my local dealership a few days later for an inspection. They said the loss of power was because my "new" air filter had too much oil on it but since the air filter had been on for a while, I'm suspecting a boost leak. They confirmed that yes, my pedals are stock and no, the pedals were not malfunctioning or somehow causing issues. They did say that the brake *switch* was acting up so they took it apart and cleaned it to restore functionality. Unfortunately, the shop did not want to get involved. They said they couldn't be more than 50% sure that Mitchell Selig was "at fault" but they did give me a report that said the pedals were stock and they had to clean and adjust the brake switch. They also said off the record that it was very strange how they came to the cnclusion that the pedals were the cause for concern. Of course, I paid for an hour of labor out of my own pocket.

I call Mitchell Selig again afterwards and they refused to speak with me. They only wanted to speak to the other dealership. After the two dealerships talked, they (Mitchell Selig) determined that the matter was closed. I have brought this up with Ford customer service and gotten nothing. I have an outstanding complaint against them with the BBB. I'm out 750$ and then some to have my car be only slightly worse than it was when I dropped it off at a dealership that thinks stock parts on a Fiesta ST are aftermarket. It isn't the end of the world for me financially but it has really soured me on Ford dealerships and the Fiesta ST as a whole. A huge part of the appeal to me is that it's such a simple car to get serviced and get parts for.

Attached are some pictures of the end result. I cropped out my personal info and the service writer's info. If nothing else, let this be a warning to all of you - Don't go to Mitchell Selig Ford for service.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would've stopped payment on the service if you used a credit card and told them to eat a bowl of dicks for the service that wasn't rendered and I'll be getting a lawyer to talk with the stealership.....sounds like they used no lube and took you to town.....its hard to find good dealers who have techs that know what is their own a-hole from a hole in the ground. I would've thoroughly searched reviews on that dealer before going....but you as the consumer shouldn't have to. They are the ones that give good dealers a bad rap....its not fair or right. Best of luck....this is why I'll work on my own stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
The thing is, I *did* look up the reviews and it seemed pretty highly reviewed. The place has over 170 reviews and a 4.9/5 overall on google. Oh, and there was a magnetic gray Fiesta ST right in front of the service area, brand new, for sale. I joked with my friend afterwards I should've taken a picture of it because it was proof they were idiots. They could've just opened the driver's door and looked down to see that the pedals weren't stock.

But yes, lesson learned, never let the stealership know you're a traveler. Times like this make me wish I was more active on twitter. I'd love to see Ford's reaction to one of their dealerships not knowing what the silly little "FoMoCo" stamp means on the parts. Clearly Fomoco is the newest aftermarket shop in town....

zanethan

The thing is, I *did* look up the reviews and it seemed pretty highly reviewed. The place has over 170 reviews and a 4.9/5 overall on google. Oh, and there was a magnetic gray Fiesta ST right in front of the service area, brand new, for sale. I joked with my friend afterwards I should've taken a picture of it because it was proof they were idiots. They could've just opened the driver's door and looked down to see that the pedals weren't stock.

But yes, lesson learned, never let the stealership know you're a traveler. Times like this make me wish I was more active on twitter. I'd love to see Ford's reaction to one of their dealerships not knowing what the silly little "FoMoCo" stamp means on the parts. Clearly Fomoco is the newest aftermarket shop in town....
It's hard to trust online reviews these days. Many dealerships will make up fake ones to compensate for the bad ones. I always look at the bad ones first and then the good ones. Chances are if the bad ones are really bad and specific but the good ones are all generic then it's a shady place.

I always tend to trust the dealer I bought from more than another because I've already started a relationship with them. Obviously, in this case that wasn't possible.

As others have stated social media is a great way to draw attention to your issues so are bad reviews for the dealers. I've had dealers bend over backwards to get me to remove a negative review. If the say they're going to reach out to amend a issue but never follow up then update your review. They'll eventually see the light.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You can tell real reviews from fakes...same day reviews with same wording or minimal wording usually are fake. If a place I got service from did a good job I put time and thought into the review not just a two word review.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Call Ford Customer service, and put in a claim. Call Crystal Weaver at: (866) 631-3788 ext. 77767. At minimum it puts a claim in that you can refer to later. They also utilize emailing well, so you have a paper trail!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Usually the reviews at a dealer are for the buying experience. Very different from service. Look for quick lanes atthe same dealer and see reviews there. Try yelp/foursquare and look at reviews specific to repair and maintenance.

I don't let them do any work that sounds fishy. The problem is that you are traveling and if they know it they are taking advantage of the fact that you are not likely to try to have your car towed somewhere else.

My take-away is not to say anything about traveling but your license plates probably gave that away. As someone who does road trips I can sure relate and understand that you were just tired and wanted to keep moving as soon as possible and didn't realize what was happening until it was too late, but that sucks going through all of that.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
Call Ford Customer service, and put in a claim. Call Crystal Weaver at: (866) 631-3788 ext. 77767. At minimum it puts a claim in that you can refer to later. They also utilize emailing well, so you have a paper trail!

Thank you so much! I will call today. I did email them but it went nowhere. In fact, I did that before I went to BBB or anything else thinking Ford would be interested in hearing this.

OP
T
Thread Starter #12

So it turns out that this is the number for LINDA Weaver and she only handles cases with case numbers. But she did transfer me to someone and I got my case number. Hopefully it wasn't hollow sentiments but when I explained the part about the pedals, the CSR seemed to perk up a bit and started asking more questions for the case file.

And in a mean bit of irony, the hold music was a PSA to remind me to check my brakes and go to an official Ford Service Center for brake repairs...

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Many dealers have never seen a Fiesta ST, My wife and I were looking at a Fusion Sport AWD outside of Knoxville TN 2 months ago and the sales guy said other than literature he had not seen a FiST at that dealership. He said they had a few Focus ST's but no FiST's. I cringe at the thought of a Dealer touching mine. Half the "Techs" got their first not made in China or purchased at Harbor Freight tools last week.

True dealer experiences

Saab dealer sent me to BMW dealer to get an alignment under warranty. They also had to call NAPA for an oil filter for my Saab 99. The only model made by Saab at the time.

Mazda Dealer "forgot" to put oil drain plug back on, engine survived.

Mercury Dealer found nut and bolt on floor of my new RS but just picked it up while doing the pre-delivery prep. Clutch pedal fell on the floor 15 miles later.

Buick dealer had my Regal turbo that was 3 weeks old for 7 weeks because it needed a wiring harness along with over 3000 others. GM, after a month offered to rent me a car! Was traded for the above Capri RS Turbo within days of getting it back. Terminated my buying anything GM for life.

Nissan dealer told me my rear drums needed shoes but the fronts were fine, with 47K on the car I told them to replace all. They turned the front rotors that were "fine" so thin they grabbed every time you used them. Made them replace the rotors. Tried to charge $35 EACH for 2 rubber donuts for radiator support that parts dept sold for $3.50 each.

Dodge dealer replace clutch master cylinder in Stealth R/T three times before finding out they were using incorrect part.

Mazda dealer replaced cracked heater core under warranty. But "forgot" to fill with coolant, I made it about a mile before all hell broke loose with a cracked head.
And Mazda's "forgetful" techs worries me.

OP
T
Thread Starter #14
What. The. Fuck. Aftermarket pedals. Pedals, dude. Fucking pedals?!?!?! *spontaneously combusts*
Yep. I felt like I had to upload the pics for proof. It seems too stupid to be true AND YET.......There it is......complete with my comment on the test drive happening.

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
Well, I got a response from Mitchell Selig. They defend their work because I took it to a second dealership who said that the brakes "function correctly" so they defend their work. Their response didn't address the fact that the second dealership had to adjust one of their repairs and that the cause of my sticking brake lines is nebulous, at best. Oh, and of course they don't say anything about the aftermarket pedals excuse...

OP
T
Thread Starter #16
A resolution of sorts was agreed to.

I originally asked for half the repair cost back to cover their fuck ups. THey said they would do that and no more. Over 3 months have passed since the incident and that was all they would give. I have taken it because I am tired of fighting. They still insist they did "What was needed to get the car on the road safely" I maintain it would be 100x safer had they not touched the car at all and maybe their techs could peek in the cars in the showroom to learn the difference between what is stock and what is aftermarket.

I also did some further investigative digging into my issues.

1) THe brake switch is fucked. I replaced it.
2) At least two boost hoses were damaged from very sloppy techs. I have less than 5 psi of boost under load. I tightened a few connectors that I could quickly reach and only reached a max of 6 psi. Great work guys, you fucked my engine while fucing over my brakes....very efficient.
3) Brake feel is gone. THey fucked the line bleeding. Oh and they ditched my steel lines so that doesn't help
4) Rear brakes are shot and they said they were very good. No observational skills.

I don't know if there is a place to put dealers on the shit list on this forum but I will say it as loudly as I can here:

FUCK MITCHELL SELIG FORD WITH A RUSTY PITCHFORK! DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, SUPPORT THE MITCHELL AUTOMOTIVE GROUP IN THE NEW ENGLAND AREA! THEY ARE IGNORANT ASSHOLES WHO WILL FUCK UP YOUR CAR AND DEMAND THAT YOU PAY FOR THEIR FUCK UPS!

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I hope your lack of language skills are not representative of how you deal with dealers. That could be your whole problem! You think enough foul language will somehow make you look intelligent? It just make you seem out of control. Your post is both childish and dumb as dirt!

OP
T
Thread Starter #18
I hope your lack of language skills are not representative of how you deal with dealers. That could be your whole problem! You think enough foul language will somehow make you look intelligent? It just make you seem out of control. Your post is both childish and dumb as dirt!
Oh no, this isn't an intelligent post. It's pure frustration at having to drive around in a busted car for three months due to incompetence from one dealer. Oh and being out over a grand of my own money in these repair costs and diagnostic charges. But if you had bothered to read the first post and the follow up over the past few months, you could've gathered that. Instead you read the aftermath of holding everything in for three months and the only outcome was a slap in the face and a pittiance back for my troubles. And again, read back through the posts and you'll see I have been respectful and courteous to them during this process. I gave them ample opportunity to make this right. It has been almost 4 months actually since this whole thing began. I've never had any company take this long to do so little about such a bad mistake. And that's where this frustration came from. So if that's all you bothered to read then I guess I don't know what to say other than I'll make sure to be extra polite to dealerships while getting a bad deal. I'm sure that will solve everything!

I hope your lack of language skills are not representative of how you deal with dealers. That could be your whole problem! You think enough foul language will somehow make you look intelligent?
He is right, you know...

I had to bring my 2016 into Ciocca Ford of Quakertown three times before anything was done about my whiney transmission bearing; being that I was only 20 at the time and this was my first *Big financial move*, my parents had an absolute shit-fit and on multiple occasions tried to take it into their own hands. My mother can be an absolute tornado in situations like this, and her mouth isn't any kinder than a sailor's, so I shut that down quickly...

Long story short; with patience, understanding, proper expression of concern, these dealers are usually more than likely alright to work with you through these things. I got a brand new transmission and a warranty to cover wearable items like breaks, rotors, clutch, etc... Regardless, I'm in no disagreement that this whole situation is stupid as hell... The sole fact they blamed your "aftermarket pedals" still really hurts my brain to think about... [screwy]

Patience is a virtue my friend! Good luck with anything and everything related to all of this.