Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need some help

My FiST is used only for Rallycross and has suffered internal engine damage. Major blow-by, most likely broken rings in multiple cylinders. Happily it only affects idle (misfire codes) as the turbo seems to make up all the loss under power. I consider the block scrap so I'm continuing to race it until I can't. Seem to be getting full power for now.

Issue is dealing with the blow-by gasses. Last race it pushed the dipstick off the seal and dumped a quart of oil over the engine. I'd like some recommendations of how to deal with that blow-by. If I just vent it to the ground (okay...just dirt) I'll likely lose too much oil. Are there any fittings low enough on the motor that I can ventilate the valve cover to a ventilated can but have the can drain back into the sump? I'd guess some of you modified guys have played around with this stuff. Seems like I ought to do something besides just securing the dip stick. I must have a lot of crap flowing into the intake/turbo systems. The blow-by gasses have to go somewhere. Again...this is a trailer queen. Not a street car...no smog testing etc. I'll have to put an engine in it and all the required stock stuff when it's time to sell it. Or sell it to another racer.

My Ecoboost is also a track only car.
I was losing 4 oz of motor oil per 1/4 mile run.
The problem turned out to be positive crankcase pressure.
It's important for my car to have a working PCV system, even though it isn't required.
At idle, I use the vacuum within my motors intake manifold to pull out positive crankcase pressure.
At wide open thottle, I relay on the negative air flow created by the turbo's compressor, to pull out positive crankcase pressure.
I have also added check valves and a vent at the oil fill tube.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am guessing that a CFM oil filler cap ball check type breather will quickly over-saturate it's filter element, and then dump the oil all over the under hood, and whole engine bay? [dunno]

Is there currently a PCV system oil catch can on this car??

Last edited:
I am guessing that a CFM oil filler cap ball check type breather will quickly over-saturate it's filter element, and then dump the oil all over the under hood, and whole engine bay? [dunno]

Is there currently a PCV system oil catch can on this car??
Your right, I do get a little oil on top of the motor, and it collects in my spark plug wells.

PS: I also have a catch can.

Dialcaliper

My FiST is used only for Rallycross and has suffered internal engine damage. Major blow-by, most likely broken rings in multiple cylinders. Happily it only affects idle (misfire codes) as the turbo seems to make up all the loss under power. I consider the block scrap so I'm continuing to race it until I can't. Seem to be getting full power for now.

Issue is dealing with the blow-by gasses. Last race it pushed the dipstick off the seal and dumped a quart of oil over the engine. I'd like some recommendations of how to deal with that blow-by. If I just vent it to the ground (okay...just dirt) I'll likely lose too much oil. Are there any fittings low enough on the motor that I can ventilate the valve cover to a ventilated can but have the can drain back into the sump? I'd guess some of you modified guys have played around with this stuff. Seems like I ought to do something besides just securing the dip stick. I must have a lot of crap flowing into the intake/turbo systems. The blow-by gasses have to go somewhere. Again...this is a trailer queen. Not a street car...no smog testing etc. I'll have to put an engine in it and all the required stock stuff when it's time to sell it. Or sell it to another racer.
If you vent the catch can, you probably won’t have enough pressure to get the oil back into the sump, if you’re getting that much blow-by that it’s popping the dipstick. Modern PCV systems are way better at removing blow-by as they use intake vacuum instead of venting to ambient pressure. If you currently have a functional PCV system, a vented can will have less suction and probably make the problem worse.

Do you still have EVAP hooked up? The only jury-rigged thing I can think of to pull more blow-by out (short of a scavenge pump) is to set up a Venturi kind of like the 2017-2019 intake/induction hose uses, with positive boost pressure blowing from the cold-pipe to the intake, and then hook that to the outlet of a crankcase catch can to get more suction under boost. It will send more crap through the turbo, but it sounds like you’re not as concerned with that. If you’re not using it, you could cap off the EVAP system at the solenoid and repurpose it with either a stock 2017-2019 induction hose, or a Mountune replacement.

Alternately, just rig up your own Venturi on the existing crankcase PCV with catch can and any convenient boost pressure source using a cheap off-the shelf piece like this (not 100% sure this is the right size - might be too big):

Pvdf Venturi Injector 3/4” Inch Gas-Liquid Mixing Venturi Injection for Ozone Generator, Agriculture Fertilizer Irrigation, Sewage Treatment, Dosing Device, Jet Device https://a.co/d/7ihF6nL

I don’t think there’s a good way to get oil back in the sump, but if you can pull the blow-by out and depressurize the crankcase, you’ll have less oil foaming and trying to escape.

Just to be clear, the Venturi thing is a band-aid, and not something I’d recommend setting up on an good engine that’s not already experiencing excessive blow by

Last edited: