Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Negative corrections on pre-installed maps that come with AP, youre thoughts?

as stated above, I thought it would be fun to see if anyone could identify why I'm having such wonky numbers pop up. I'm running the cobb ots stage 1 map but I most deffinately have more then just a drop in air filter.

Mods in clude an MBRP 3" Catback
2J RACING full race 3" dp ( catless )
Injen CAI

I have spoken to nick at cobb and I gotta admit, dude has a sense of humor hahah he essentially told me user error is why I'm getting the results I am ( -2° of timing ), so yeah, what do you guys think i did wrong and what potential damage do you think I could of caused?

Edit: I know people like seeing logs, but use been expressly told to NEVER go wot untill the situation is rectified. Like i said, great sense of humor, our conversation concluded with nick saying happy boosting ( later on) 😂

Attachments

Se7eN

Get a Custom Tune, them OTS tunes aren't that good. Also might try to get new plugs NGK 6510 one step colder. Don't think you've done nothing wrong really.

Put the OEM Downpipe back in the car. It's been tuned for the OEM Turbo and will yield MORE power with the stock turbo than an aftermarket DP.

In addition it's illegal to run on the street with a catless DP and right now the EPA is going after suppliers of these items but the handwriting is on the wall that they will start going after the car owners some day. BTW, the EPA has mobile units that do testing of vehicles while they are moving down the road. When they do start going after owners then you'll start seeing these "mobile survey units" equipped to pull people over and impound vehicles on the spot.

Note, just did a quick google search and it seems the fine for REMOVING a Cat is 10,000 dollars but the fine for driving a vehicle without the mandated Cat is only 2500 dollars. BTW, this is the Federal law, states such as California have their own set of laws.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Although I agree with you on the factory catcon/downpipe thing 200%, Thecanadianst is in the country of his username, and in a province which is very sparsely populated, most likely without any inspections at all. [wink]

I am not even sure if his country has a strong EPA-like federal organization, which has the same strict rules/laws as ours. [dunno]

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
Get a Custom Tune, them OTS tunes aren't that good. Also might try to get new plugs NGK 6510 one step colder. Don't think you've done nothing wrong really.
My bad i meant to mention I run ngk one step colders from napa gapped to .25 or .025, im iffy on the gap tho, I feel like it might be too little by a point or so

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
Put the OEM Downpipe back in the car. It's been tuned for the OEM Turbo and will yield MORE power with the stock turbo than an aftermarket DP.

In addition it's illegal to run on the street with a catless DP and right now the EPA is going after suppliers of these items but the handwriting is on the wall that they will start going after the car owners some day. BTW, the EPA has mobile units that do testing of vehicles while they are moving down the road. When they do start going after owners then you'll start seeing these "mobile survey units" equipped to pull people over and impound vehicles on the spot.

Note, just did a quick google search and it seems the fine for REMOVING a Cat is 10,000 dollars but the fine for driving a vehicle without the mandated Cat is only 2500 dollars. BTW, this is the Federal law, states such as California have their own set of laws.

The catless hate is real, good thing I live in canada where no one gives two shits about emissions. Sorry brotha, I like my pops and bangs, ive been pulled over multiple times and none has once mentioned my catless system. Only place I cant go is quebec, but then again who really wants to in the first place?

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
^^^Although I agree with you on the factory catcon/downpipe thing 200%, Thecanadianst is in the country of his username, and in a province which is very sparsely populated, most likely without any inspections at all. [wink]

I am not even sure if his country has a strong EPA-like federal organization, which has the same strict rules/laws as ours. [dunno]
We do, if youre an ass DOT will catch you for anything, and I mean anything. But as you stated we are the second most sparsely populated landmass on earth next to Siberia, the only place they really care about that stuff is quebec, but they are just a******* in general

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
Currently waited on my stratified tune and IC from whoosh as well just figured id try out and ots map for the heck of it

PunkST

2000 Post Club
What fuel are you using? Ive had no issues running the ots 91 octane maps on 93 octane fuel. I only see minor corrections on 91 fuel. How many miles in the coils? One may be getting weak on you.

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
What fuel are you using? Ive had no issues running the ots 91 octane maps on 93 octane fuel. I only see minor corrections on 91 fuel. How many miles in the coils? One may be getting weak on you.
I'm at 110k km on factory coils, never been replaced ( or atleast not mentioned in service reports ) car has only ever seen 91 octane or higher, however cobb said canadian fuel isn't the greatest in general. I monitored oar when I first got the accesport ( 3 days ago ) but it never moved from zero so assumed I was good

OP
T
Thread Starter #11
I should mention spark plugs only have roughly 10k km on them, i pulled the two closest to the drivers side two days ago and didn't notice any fouling ( just a habit of mine )

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
We do, if you're an ass DOT will catch you for anything, and I mean anything. But as you stated we are the second most sparsely populated landmass on earth next to Siberia, the only place they really care about that stuff is quebec, but they are just a******* in general
Hey now, let's stop with the Franco separatist hate. LOL [wink]

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
Data logging will help figure out what’s happening. Your negative correction may be perfectly normal, however.

https://stratifiedauto.com/blog/und...ons-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/
I did read that blog, thats why when I saw -2 I was like o.0 uh oh. Ive been monitoring boost and ive not gone above 19psi. But like I said after speaking with cobb im paranoid to even try wot as I got -2 on partial throttle in second mid rpm band.

I did read the fuel tables learn best on WOT, i just dont wanna throw a rod in the attempt to balance my fuel tables. But im also paranoid lol

OP
T
Thread Starter #17
Data logging will help figure out what’s happening. Your negative correction may be perfectly normal, however.

https://stratifiedauto.com/blog/und...ons-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/
And see this is where I get confused. Are my ignition timings wonky because I back out as soon as I see -2° correction instead of powering through the pull to allow the fuel trim table to learn properly. Or do I listen to cobb and NEVER go WOT to prevent overboosting and damage? I'm going to try to snag a log ive never done it before but I did set the parameters stratified recommends for data log refinement. I'll see if I can post some later.

I'm almost wondering if I should just say f it and go WOT to allow the fuel tables to learn properly. I only have like 50km on this ots map so the car might not of learned its fuel trims yet

OP
T
Thread Starter #19
Maybe just log under light load, to see if the knock is sustained or fairly infrequent.

The more I read into it the more it seems either my fuel is sub par or I just having given the OAR time to adjust properly, im gonna give a semi go, like half throttle see if it happens again. Weird thing is its not ALWAYS under half throttle, for example I did a pull earlier in 2nd and had .8° correction so I almost feel like its a fuel / not giving it enough time to learn the fuel trims correctly

OP
T
Thread Starter #20
Maybe just log under light load, to see if the knock is sustained or fairly infrequent.

Update, went and did some driving ( 50km ) various gears and loads, i did notice a -2 fuel correction when i downshifted from 6 to 4th to take an exit ( i was just cruising ) and ive noticed -2° timing however it never happens at the same rpm or under the same load. It seems to at the most random of time during a pull. Could be right at the start could be when I get higher up in the rpm band. I DID however notice that cylinder 1,2 added 6 and 5° timing while cylinder 3 and 4 could only add 4°.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the gentleman who mentioned coilpacks may be right and it may be time to replace them