Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Negative Corrections When Gas Tank is Low?? (Stratified 91)

I'm currently running Stratified's 91 flash tune, using 93, and I noticed a few times when my tank gets a little below quarter tank, I get some negative corrections. Now normally the corrections don't go lower than -1.0, but today I saw an instance of -4.75 and it spooked me a bit. I figured using 93 on a 91 tune would have no negative corrections at all, and I was just wondering if this is normal and if so what exactly could cause it?

Thanks,
-Ryan B.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You saw this during a full throttle pull or just cruising? If just cruising and something that only occurred once, I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens repeatedly under load I would post up a log.

Also, what does the "Octane Adjustment Ratio" (or OAR) value read on your Cobb Accessport? I had something similar happen once when my tank was low and the car went into limp mode. When I got the car restarted, I noticed my OAR was back up above 0 when it typically stays at -1.0. This indicated bad fuel and I came to conclusion that there was some water in the bottom of my fuel tank that I sucked up. Everything was fixed after filling the tank full with high-quality 93 octane.

OP
The_Ryan
Thread Starter #3
Yeah just happened while cruising on my way to work. No real load

Edit: Octane Adjustment Ratio was at -1, and hasn't moved

Last edited:
I've gotten -3/-4 corrections while shifting on my big turbo...or over a big bump at part throttle. On my stratified tune, the knock sensors are a bit sensitive...which is a good thing. If you get a huge correcting like that, usually it is the ECU seeing two knock events in a row, so it pulls a lot of timing. No big deal unless you see that under boost in the middle of a pull. This is almost always environmental noise that trips the knock sensors.

I bet if you log whenever this happens, you'll see like 6 knock events all at once (like, one or two per cylinder)...then absolutely nothing after.

The knock you want to watch out for is getting constant corrections like that in a pull...where it starts off at zero then starts pulling timing when under boost because it keeps seeing knock events. That usually means something is wrong.

If you haven't yet, it would be a good time to swap plugs just for shits and giggles. Grab pre-gapped step-colder iridium plugs, or gap them yourself to .026". Very quick to do, just x8 of 10mm bolts, unplug the coil packs, then you need a magnetic spark plug socket and an extension. Takes 10 minutes if you are quick. Torque on the plugs is like 10 ft*lbs or something low like that. Just make them snug, not tight.

OP
The_Ryan
Thread Starter #5
I've gotten -3/-4 corrections while shifting on my big turbo...or over a big bump at part throttle. On my stratified tune, the knock sensors are a bit sensitive...which is a good thing. If you get a huge correcting like that, usually it is the ECU seeing two knock events in a row, so it pulls a lot of timing. No big deal unless you see that under boost in the middle of a pull. This is almost always environmental noise that trips the knock sensors.

I bet if you log whenever this happens, you'll see like 6 knock events all at once (like, one or two per cylinder)...then absolutely nothing after.

The knock you want to watch out for is getting constant corrections like that in a pull...where it starts off at zero then starts pulling timing when under boost because it keeps seeing knock events. That usually means something is wrong.

If you haven't yet, it would be a good time to swap plugs just for shits and giggles. Grab pre-gapped step-colder iridium plugs, or gap them yourself to .026". Very quick to do, just x8 of 10mm bolts, unplug the coil packs, then you need a magnetic spark plug socket and an extension. Takes 10 minutes if you are quick. Torque on the plugs is like 10 ft*lbs or something low like that. Just make them snug, not tight.
This makes me feel a bit better. I did install new iridium 1 step colder plugs gapped to 0.026" this past sunday which was part of the reason why I was a bit concerned. The thing that throws me for a loop is that the negatives only occur when I'm low on gas

thanks for the input!

A7xogg

Does this have something to do with the evap? Thought I saw something about this on the forum a while ago.