Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New annoying noise!!! (while steering)

alB5

Well after 26k trouble free miles, my fiST has now decided to make an annoying noise while turning. Sometimes I also hear it when just going in a straight line, but definitely hear it more during moderate speed turns.

It sounds like a passive "pssshh-psssh-psssh" and is speed dependent (as I go faster the noise is made more frequently) and I have a strong feeling its the caliper dragging on the rotor. Is it safe to assume this? Because the noise being made sorta sounds like the noise the pads make when lightly touching the brake pedal to get to a stop. I hear it when making left turns but don't hear it making right turns. (Could be because of driver position)

I'm on my second set of front pads, they have plenty of life. But my front tires (potenza) are nearly gone though. (Just shy of being bald.

Does anyone have a similar situation? Or should I just run to the dealer? I have yet to visit a dealer and have had my car for over a year now.

Thanks guys,

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Im guessing here as i don't have my car yet but on my aveo i had a similar issue and it was the brake shield rubbing. It some how got bent. Not sure the FiST has them or not. If you suspect the pads does the sound go away when you press the brakes a little?

Yeah I would check the shield, I had that issue myself and just bent it back into shape. Sounded exactly how you're describing.

Well after 26k trouble free miles, my fiST has now decided to make an annoying noise while turning. Sometimes I also hear it when just going in a straight line, but definitely hear it more during moderate speed turns.

It sounds like a passive "pssshh-psssh-psssh" and is speed dependent (as I go faster the noise is made more frequently) and I have a strong feeling its the caliper dragging on the rotor. Is it safe to assume this? Because the noise being made sorta sounds like the noise the pads make when lightly touching the brake pedal to get to a stop. I hear it when making left turns but don't hear it making right turns. (Could be because of driver position)

I'm on my second set of front pads, they have plenty of life. But my front tires (potenza) are nearly gone though. (Just shy of being bald.

Does anyone have a similar situation? Or should I just run to the dealer? I have yet to visit a dealer and have had my car for over a year now.

Thanks guys,
Heading to your dealer is always a great step towards figuring out what's going on. I can also check into some additional assistance; just PM me your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. :)

Meagan

OP
alB5

alB5

Thread Starter #5
Heading to your dealer is always a great step towards figuring out what's going on. I can also check into some additional assistance; just PM me your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. :)

Meagan
Well after pushing the bottom end of the brake shield away from the rotor (and making sure the other side has the same distance between the rotor and the shield) i think my problem may be resolved. It's strange because at first it continued, but after some spirited driving all i heard was my tires in the turns.
anyways f it continues I'll be sending you that pm! Thanks everyone!

Well after pushing the bottom end of the brake shield away from the rotor (and making sure the other side has the same distance between the rotor and the shield) i think my problem may be resolved. It's strange because at first it continued, but after some spirited driving all i heard was my tires in the turns.
anyways f it continues I'll be sending you that pm! Thanks everyone!
Thanks! I'll be here if you need me. :)

Meagan

OP
alB5

alB5

Thread Starter #8
Great to hear. Maybe it was a peice of debris stuck by the sheild as well.
Do you remember if it was the bottom end of the brake dust shield that came into contact with the rotor? The noise came back and no matter how far i try and push anywhere on the rotor the thing still makes noise in the turns. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

OP
alB5

alB5

Thread Starter #10
Oh my mistake, meant to direct that towards @Hypntik

OP
alB5

alB5

Thread Starter #11
Yeah I would check the shield, I had that issue myself and just bent it back into shape. Sounded exactly how you're describing.
Do you remember if it was the bottom end of the brake dust shield that came into contact with the rotor? The noise came back and no matter how far i try and push anywhere on the rotor the thing still makes noise in the turns. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mine was about the 10 o'clock spot on the front passenger side. As for the distance, I just gave it a good shove and made sure there was no other close contact near there.