Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New brake discs and pads, what to choose?

Im in the search for new brake discs and pads as my OEM are in need of a change soon.

What i would like:

Black discs (to match my Sparco Asetto Gara wheels)
Pads that lasts and produce minimal brake dust.

What i would not want:

Overkill setup (big brakes etc, im sticking with the stock calipers)
Fully drilled, can cause cracks and much noise i heard?

Currently on a Stage +1 Tune from Pumaspeed and the car has around 235 +- BHP.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Fiest...ont-Rear-Brake-Discs-Mintex-Pads/254429125988 - The dealer said its the Mintex Red box pads, are these any good? The price made me interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323935469914?ul_noapp=true (they are drilled and grooved i know)

Also considering EBC brakes with Yellowstuff pads. (The most expensive of the 3)
I have yellowstuff pads currently, they are just as dusty or more so than the factory pads so if your trying to avoid dust I would skip them.

I have heard good things about the Hawk HPS and HPS 5.0 pads as far as decent street/autocross/light track use, and low dust.

From a black rotor standpoint, they will only be black in the braking surface until you hit the pedal the first time while moving, this will scrub the braking area clean right away. The paint will stay in the areas that are outside the braking surface and prevent rust, however if you do track your car and get the brakes hot, the rest of the paint will get burned off and they look like traditional rotors.

For light track use I had EBC Yellowstuff pads, they were no better than the higher temp Ford/Motorcraft pads and still got extremely spongy after about 10 minutes of heavy use. they never completely faded to not functioning, but I was no longer able to get the ABS to activate. If you only plan to street drive/go fast on twisty roads I think they would be just fine.

OP
F
Thread Starter #4
I have yellowstuff pads currently, they are just as dusty or more so than the factory pads so if your trying to avoid dust I would skip them.

I have heard good things about the Hawk HPS and HPS 5.0 pads as far as decent street/autocross/light track use, and low dust.

From a black rotor standpoint, they will only be black in the braking surface until you hit the pedal the first time while moving, this will scrub the braking area clean right away. The paint will stay in the areas that are outside the braking surface and prevent rust, however if you do track your car and get the brakes hot, the rest of the paint will get burned off and they look like traditional rotors.

For light track use I had EBC Yellowstuff pads, they were no better than the higher temp Ford/Motorcraft pads and still got extremely spongy after about 10 minutes of heavy use. they never completely faded to not functioning, but I was no longer able to get the ABS to activate. If you only plan to street drive/go fast on twisty roads I think they would be just fine.
Good point about that black will be scratched. Its prolly the area around that i want to stay black and hopefully rust free as long as possible.

I do not intent to track the car, its only for street drive/go fast.

Having a realy hard time to decide on this one.

I would look into reviews of the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads if you can get them in Norway, they seem to be a good option for decent heat/low dust for a street car.

BTW, I am envious of your roads (at least in the area near Bergen) I was there last summer for a week in a rental Citroen, alright standard commuter car, but it would have been way more fun in the FiST! Winding along the water in the fjords is beautiful and fantastic road conditions really helped the fun.

The thing I noticed was the large amount of speed cameras, I guess that's where the motorcyclists have it good with no front plate.

How are the roads near Olso?

Edit for formatting

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I went with Carbotechs 1521s and cryoed powerstop slotted rotors first time around. Now I'm going with EBC Slotted rotors and Yellow EBCs. So we will see how they do!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
F
Thread Starter #8
I would look into reviews of the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads if you can get them in Norway, they seem to be a good option for decent heat/low dust for a street car.

BTW, I am envious of your roads (at least in the area near Bergen) I was there last summer for a week in a rental Citroen, alright standard commuter car, but it would have been way more fun in the FiST! Winding along the water in the fjords is beautiful and fantastic road conditions really helped the fun.

The thing I noticed was the large amount of speed cameras, I guess that's where the motorcyclists have it good with no front plate.

How are the roads near Olso?

Edit for formatting
Il have a look on the HAWKS pads, thanks :)

Yeah or "vestlandet" as we call it in Norway. The west side of Norway do have some realy great roads with stunning view! I went on a cartrip with my dad some years ago, he was driving a RUF tuned Porsche 911 and alot of other Porches from the club wich arranged the whole tour. I mean driving with a group or so over so many days with clear sky and sun. Prolly no other place in the world that can compare to the fjords of Norway then, will always remember that trip as pure joy!

There are a fewspeed cameras yeah, but mostly around the big citys and around also some around the countryside here and there. Luckely i got some sort of box in my car, that makes high sound whenever im aproching one :) Motorcyclist can just ignore them since the licence plate is rear mounted.

The roads near Oslo are not so good, there is a climate speed limit inside the city during the winter, and generaly the politicans want to get the cars away from the city center. If you drive an electric, they like you more. Also alot of road taxes so it can get pretty expensive driving around or in/out of Oslo.

Il have a look on the HAWKS pads, thanks :)

Yeah or "vestlandet" as we call it in Norway. The west side of Norway do have some realy great roads with stunning view! I went on a cartrip with my dad some years ago, he was driving a RUF tuned Porsche 911 and alot of other Porches from the club wich arranged the whole tour. I mean driving with a group or so over so many days with clear sky and sun. Prolly no other place in the world that can compare to the fjords of Norway then, will always remember that trip as pure joy!

There are a fewspeed cameras yeah, but mostly around the big citys and around also some around the countryside here and there. Luckely i got some sort of box in my car, that makes high sound whenever im aproching one :) Motorcyclist can just ignore them since the licence plate is rear mounted.

The roads near Oslo are not so good, there is a climate speed limit inside the city during the winter, and generaly the politicans want to get the cars away from the city center. If you drive an electric, they like you more. Also alot of road taxes so it can get pretty expensive driving around or in/out of Oslo.
That sounds like an awesome trip with a Porsche group! Also a bummer on the driving near Oslo, hopefully you can make a trip back over to vestlandet to get some more fun driving in.

Good luck shopping for brakes!

PunkST

2000 Post Club
My next plan is factory high temp pads. Dunno what rotors yet. I want the high factory bite back.

the duke

According to their reps on the phone, that is EXACTLY what they are. [wink]

(No more Winmax contract, I guess. [:(])
I liked their previous WINMAX track pads.

Mountune seems to switch suppliers for brakes every year or two. Initially they had HAWKs, then WINMAX, now EBC.