Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New coilovers and excessive tire squeal

So I just got around putting some miles on my new KSport coilovers after installing them. The car sat for a while before I got to drive it around and I still haven’t gotten an alignment yet. It’s lowered about 3/4” from stock and I set the adjustable end links to the stock length when I installed them. The car rides ok but I feel like it is crashing over the bumps on the road.

I am not sure if it’s the characteristics of a lowered car or not but I noticed that there’s some excessive tire squeals when I am turning on a on ramp. I’m taking the same sweeping turns around 35-40mph as I did with stock suspension and the tires are squealing loud and it never did this before. I am still on stock Bridgestone re050. Would an alignment fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing is an alignment, you should've gotten it done right after. Do that and then see if you still have the same issue.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

OP
L
Thread Starter #4
Will get it done first thing when the businesses open back up. I had it sitting for a few weeks after installing and I didn’t get a chance to drive until now.

OP
L
Thread Starter #6
Got alignment done and all is good!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The camber is not adjustable without modification. Not sure if the coilovers that he installed have adjustable top mounts.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
L
Thread Starter #10
Have the camber bolts on order. Do I need to have it aligned again or can I adjust the .6 degree myself?

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Have the camber bolts on order. Do I need to have it aligned again or can I adjust the .6 degree myself?

You won't need it aligned as it won't affect side to side alignment. Just pop the top bolt on the coil out and put the camber bolt in and there will be instructions on how to adjust them. Since it's not adjustable anyways, there will be no point going back to have an alignment done again. Just adjust it by sight. I literally just look for the farthest out I can get the bottom tire and send it. I've had it aligned after this and I'm around 1.5 with white line bolts.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

You won't need it aligned as it won't affect side to side alignment. Just pop the top bolt on the coil out and put the camber bolt in and there will be instructions on how to adjust them. Since it's not adjustable anyways, there will be no point going back to have an alignment done again. Just adjust it by sight. I literally just look for the farthest out I can get the bottom tire and send it. I've had it aligned after this and I'm around 1.5 with white line bolts.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk
I thought changing camber also changed toe. Bad toe was his original issue.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It does that is why toe is always your last adjustment.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
There is quite a bit of slop in the bolt holes at the top and bottom of coilover. There is no reason your shop cant get it within spec. If they don't want to do the hard work, I would loosen the top 3 bolts and push them as far toward the engine as possible and tighten them. Do the same with the bottom 2 bolts. Then take it back to the alignment shop. Hopefully they have something like this Airbag that makes getting the bottom adjustment perfect. My shop got about 0.5 degrees of extra camber out of the bottom of mine by using this method and fine tuning it with the tool.

Edit: your thrust angle is within spec, but too can be zeroed out (or probably at least made better) by loosening bolts for the rear torsion beam and moving it around with a hammer before torqueing back down.

Last edited: