Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Colorado Member W/o Fiesta, Let's Convince me!

Hey all! Been really interested in the FiST, but am just a bit unsure of the car versus a couple other competitors. Just a Couple things I'm really wondering about-
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE vs 2014 WRX, 2015 WRX and 2017 GTI. Really not looking for flamers, and for people who aren't willing to add to the topic- if you have something to complain about, please be objective and have data to back yourself up with.
MAINTENANCE- This is honestly the big elephant in the room for me. I've had a few friends who've been seriously burned by Ford warranties, and lack of customer service. Have you had to use your warranty for any problems? Any issues with the claim?
Likes- Anything you really enjoy?
Dislikes?

Any of you guys in Colorado have one that's been tuned, maybe big turbo e30 mix?
Trav

Fiesta ST can't be beat for the money. I think many people are pushed to the FiST because of this... it's relatively inexpensive, it's cheap to insure, it's relatively cheap to repair, etc. WRX was out of my budget range so I went with a CPO '14 FiST. I don't regret it, but my next vehicle will be a new WRX. It's more of what I'm looking for out of the box - my biggest gripe about the FiST is traction in 1st and 2nd gears especially in wet climates. I currently work somewhere where it rains pretty much year-long now.

I haven't had any issues with warranty work. I think as long as you find a good dealer, then it should be OK. Service from one dealer to the next can vary a lot. FiST is quite small so be warned about that. Not an issue for daily driving until you need to haul something (or people comfortably). Suspension is more on the firm side. GTI is a more grown-up type of vehicle but comes with the price tag for that luxury. Just my 2c.

Flaco

2000 Post Club
Welcome, can't really complain about Ford's Warranty service. I've only needed to use it two times in 37 years ! And no problem with my local dealerships service departments.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Dealer service tips......stay away from "volume" dealers service. They go through Techs like water, work is shoddy because service is also a "volume" business. Look for an older established dealer, they are still in business because they have repeat customers. Ford Customer Care had been outstanding for me for issues other than Service as my '16 has not required any. Ford has bet the house on Ecoboost Engines and Sync 3. Saw a big news article on the Ford WiFi updates being the first car maker to use it. The Ecoboost family is proving themselves to be rugged and reliable. Only Ford had the balls to put a V6 Ecoboost in a $400,000 GT and win LeMans. The point is Ford wants you to be happy, that seldom filters down to the Tech or Service people. Ford even has employees on our Forum to assist ST owners with issues. My ST is the first new Ford since 1979, and the car and attitude of Ford is so much better. Do not judge Ford by the dealer's actions. The dealership in an independant business that agrees to Ford's terms to sell and maintain your car. But dealers are not Ford employees, Techs' are not Ford employees.

In a nutshell if you enjoy driving you will love the ST, mine has the Mountune MP215 installed for a warranty covered mild tune (215 Hp now). Only Ford offers you a tune with your factory warranty. If you want to go with a whole hog performance build it is not for you. There are better options for all out performance if keeping a warranty is not a concern.

The car is light and with 197-215 HP, locomotive like torque and handling that is outstanding the FiST is a smile generating machine. Add in the $20-24K prices and it is a winner and has been declare top in class all over the world. As an OP stated it is a small car as a people carrier, but as a DD for most people that do not haul more than 2 adults and a kid or two and it is perfect. Gas mileage is excellent to me, 36-38 on the hwy and 30-32 in town. Make sure you do an Oil Catch Can for the DI engine's valves. You will find Sync3 is a very good interface, Audio is good and performance parts are numerous but stick to major companies and check the posts to weed out the not so good vendors. I have 12K on my '16 and never any hint of a problem other than a junk aftermarket intake hose and adapter that I finally got my money back on. I should have done some checking on the company before sending money. Also tons of mod advice on the Forum. I am 65 and have owned and modified some awesome cars in my life........but none delivered the smiles per gallon the Fist does. This is the car you take the long way home in!

Dislikes..... I did not like the leather shift knob, changed to a smooth ball type. Nor the red ST badges, changed mine to Yellow on my white car. Did not like the Recaros', I have had them before but they were real Recaros' not these that are made for the ST, they are tiny and lack the adjustability of a real Recaro. Neither myself nor my wife with liked them in the FiST or FoST's. Had them in my Mustang and BMW but they were nothing like the ones in the FiST. Wheel bolt circle is rather unique as are tire sizes and limits options to change the wheels or get a wide variety of stock size tires. Exhaust is much too quiet for me but lots of options out there.

Likes....love the car, OTD TT&L was $20K w/paint and Moonroof only options. Add $2K for Mountune MP215, new exhaust and an under seat sub woofer and my car is perfect for me. I don't autoX it nor track it. Its performance is utilized in straightening out curvy mountain roads.....often. E. TN and W. NC have some of the absolute best FiST roads in the country and I wear them out when I can. Wonderful road car, did 4500 mile camping trip and love the car. Back seats down it swallowed 2 weeks worth of food and drinks and all the camping gear and clothes. It returned me a trip average MPG of 35.7 MPG and many miles were cruising at a legal 80 MPH and the rest was mainly small two lane backroads.

The only thing keeping me from calling the car perfect is the fact Ford wants me to actually pay for it, what nerve!

Obviously the difference is in quality of parts...
Ford has made an awesome drivetrain and stuck it in the tiniest car, then tried to add creature comforts
The wrx and gti have much greater finish, especially the gti.

If you are older and can't handle the stuff suspension, then maybe one of those other cars would suit you better.

But if you are still full of piss and vinegar I'd get the fist lol

I'm in Denver and have an E30 tuned 14 Fiesta. Love the car, haven't had any issues with it. We have a great service tech here in Denver if you need warranty work. Look up the colorado rs/st club on facebook, there are some great local resources there. I was debating between all the cars you mentioned and i went with the Fiesta because it was more fun than a GTI or WRX, and i could get one way cheaper and have money for mods still. Its been really good in the snow with snow tires too.

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
Fiesta ST can't be beat for the money. I think many people are pushed to the FiST because of this... it's relatively inexpensive, it's cheap to insure, it's relatively cheap to repair, etc. WRX was out of my budget range so I went with a CPO '14 FiST. I don't regret it, but my next vehicle will be a new WRX. It's more of what I'm looking for out of the box - my biggest gripe about the FiST is traction in 1st and 2nd gears especially in wet climates. I currently work somewhere where it rains pretty much year-long now.

I haven't had any issues with warranty work. I think as long as you find a good dealer, then it should be OK. Service from one dealer to the next can vary a lot. FiST is quite small so be warned about that. Not an issue for daily driving until you need to haul something (or people comfortably). Suspension is more on the firm side. GTI is a more grown-up type of vehicle but comes with the price tag for that luxury. Just my 2c.
You make a good point about the dealers, I'll have to start looking into them more. Do you have new tires on the FiST, or just the stockers, and would you ever consider a Quaife LSD? Any experiences with snow? I was quite happy with the size and the suspension feel, but the interior quality definitely feels much more put together on the GTI.

What are the couple other competitors?
GTI is the main competitor right now, being that I've absolutely loved the Mk5 Jetta I've come from. I've slammed miles on that car relentlessly and it always turned on, even in terrible winters. The others are a WRX- looking less likely by the day because of insurance cost, having to buy a used one (that's been clutchdumped more times than I've blinked), or a Hyundai Veloster Turbo or Veloster Rally if I can find one. I haven't driven the Veloster, but I really enjoy the styling, and the powertrain has serious potential.

Dealer service tips......stay away from "volume" dealers service. They go through Techs like water, work is shoddy because service is also a "volume" business. Look for an older established dealer, they are still in business because they have repeat customers. Ford Customer Care had been outstanding for me for issues other than Service as my '16 has not required any. Ford has bet the house on Ecoboost Engines and Sync 3. Saw a big news article on the Ford WiFi updates being the first car maker to use it. The Ecoboost family is proving themselves to be rugged and reliable. Only Ford had the balls to put a V6 Ecoboost in a $400,000 GT and win LeMans. The point is Ford wants you to be happy, that seldom filters down to the Tech or Service people. Ford even has employees on our Forum to assist ST owners with issues. My ST is the first new Ford since 1979, and the car and attitude of Ford is so much better. Do not judge Ford by the dealer's actions. The dealership in an independant business that agrees to Ford's terms to sell and maintain your car. But dealers are not Ford employees, Techs' are not Ford employees.

In a nutshell if you enjoy driving you will love the ST, mine has the Mountune MP215 installed for a warranty covered mild tune (215 Hp now). Only Ford offers you a tune with your factory warranty. If you want to go with a whole hog performance build it is not for you. There are better options for all out performance if keeping a warranty is not a concern.

The car is light and with 197-215 HP, locomotive like torque and handling that is outstanding the FiST is a smile generating machine. Add in the $20-24K prices and it is a winner and has been declare top in class all over the world. As an OP stated it is a small car as a people carrier, but as a DD for most people that do not haul more than 2 adults and a kid or two and it is perfect. Gas mileage is excellent to me, 36-38 on the hwy and 30-32 in town. Make sure you do an Oil Catch Can for the DI engine's valves. You will find Sync3 is a very good interface, Audio is good and performance parts are numerous but stick to major companies and check the posts to weed out the not so good vendors. I have 12K on my '16 and never any hint of a problem other than a junk aftermarket intake hose and adapter that I finally got my money back on. I should have done some checking on the company before sending money. Also tons of mod advice on the Forum. I am 65 and have owned and modified some awesome cars in my life........but none delivered the smiles per gallon the Fist does. This is the car you take the long way home in!

Dislikes..... I did not like the leather shift knob, changed to a smooth ball type. Nor the red ST badges, changed mine to Yellow on my white car. Did not like the Recaros', I have had them before but they were real Recaros' not these that are made for the ST, they are tiny and lack the adjustability of a real Recaro. Neither myself nor my wife with liked them in the FiST or FoST's. Had them in my Mustang and BMW but they were nothing like the ones in the FiST. Wheel bolt circle is rather unique as are tire sizes and limits options to change the wheels or get a wide variety of stock size tires. Exhaust is much too quiet for me but lots of options out there.

Likes....love the car, OTD TT&L was $20K w/paint and Moonroof only options. Add $2K for Mountune MP215, new exhaust and an under seat sub woofer and my car is perfect for me. I don't autoX it nor track it. Its performance is utilized in straightening out curvy mountain roads.....often. E. TN and W. NC have some of the absolute best FiST roads in the country and I wear them out when I can. Wonderful road car, did 4500 mile camping trip and love the car. Back seats down it swallowed 2 weeks worth of food and drinks and all the camping gear and clothes. It returned me a trip average MPG of 35.7 MPG and many miles were cruising at a legal 80 MPH and the rest was mainly small two lane backroads.

The only thing keeping me from calling the car perfect is the fact Ford wants me to actually pay for it, what nerve!
That makes a lot of sense again about the way dealers run. They're basically given the privileged to touch or sell a product, no different than the bike shop I worked at which sold Trek, but wasn't a "Factory" store. I had no idea about the factory tune, which is definitely something that piques my interest. I did really enjoy the handling, and felt like the car was exceptionally precise on turn in and out. Did you actually wish you'd bought the regular ST seats, and swapped in FoST seats, or aftermarket buckets? I haven't been able to sit in the Recaros even, they're really rare around here. You were able to get yours with Recaros for 20k$??????? What dealer, I might be doing a roadtrip and buying you beers.

Obviously the difference is in quality of parts...
Ford has made an awesome drivetrain and stuck it in the tiniest car, then tried to add creature comforts
The wrx and gti have much greater finish, especially the gti.

If you are older and can't handle the stuff suspension, then maybe one of those other cars would suit you better.

But if you are still full of piss and vinegar I'd get the fist lol
So to give you an idea the last car before the Jetta was a 91 Miata that I turbocharged and was making nearly 240whp. I think I'm ready for the Vinegar and fire- tunnel through the alps cause I'm motherfucking Hannibal - but I would also like to be able to take a date in my car and for her not to be rolling her eyes. The other thing that I'm wondering about is the interior feels cheaper like the Jetta, which is okay, but has it held up well with time?

OP
T
Thread Starter #11
I'm in Denver and have an E30 tuned 14 Fiesta. Love the car, haven't had any issues with it. We have a great service tech here in Denver if you need warranty work. Look up the colorado rs/st club on facebook, there are some great local resources there. I was debating between all the cars you mentioned and i went with the Fiesta because it was more fun than a GTI or WRX, and i could get one way cheaper and have money for mods still. Its been really good in the snow with snow tires too.
Which dealer do you like going to for your work? Also what sort of numbers are you putting down? Only fuel system stuff to get it ready for E30, or did you do anything else? Any chance I could twist your arm into taking me for a ride? I've driven a couple, but I'm interested in feeling more powahhh.

OP
T
Thread Starter #13
Bitches love the recaros
Lmao. Do you have proven data? I dunno man, that GTI plaid is CLEAN and crazy comfortable. But again, if you do have statistical data I'm intrigued. Seriously though, do women not hate the car?

My ass is comfy driving the car for long periods of time, and I get complemented on the front seats A LOT.
How's that for data

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
My ass is comfy driving the car for long periods of time, and I get complemented on the front seats A LOT.
How's that for data
The metrics are real. Hah I appreciate it though. With any seat I guess it's all personal preference, reason why I gotta get myself in those to try em out. Can I ask how much you got yours for with Recaro Pckg? Every place I go to is trying to get high 25's low 26's for one cause they don't have one on the lot.

Which dealer do you like going to for your work? Also what sort of numbers are you putting down? Only fuel system stuff to get it ready for E30, or did you do anything else? Any chance I could twist your arm into taking me for a ride? I've driven a couple, but I'm interested in feeling more powahhh.
Larry H Miller Ford and most of the ST guys go there. I haven't put it on a dyno yet but tuner estimates around 50 HP over stock. The only things done to mine are intercooler, panel filter/ induction hose, RMM, oil catch can, muffler delete, and a pro E30 tune from Deadhook. You dont need to modify the fuel system for E30 at all. I have a completely different set of wheels and tires for winter. A ride could definitely be arranged.

You make a good point about the dealers, I'll have to start looking into them more. Do you have new tires on the FiST, or just the stockers, and would you ever consider a Quaife LSD? Any experiences with snow? I was quite happy with the size and the suspension feel, but the interior quality definitely feels much more put together on the GTI.

So to give you an idea the last car before the Jetta was a 91 Miata that I turbocharged and was making nearly 240whp. I think I'm ready for the Vinegar and fire- tunnel through the alps cause I'm motherfucking Hannibal - but I would also like to be able to take a date in my car and for her not to be rolling her eyes. The other thing that I'm wondering about is the interior feels cheaper like the Jetta, which is okay, but has it held up well with time?
I have summer tires on - michelin pilot super sport 3. Have not tested in snow yet but I'd have to get snow tires b/c we can't fit chains on our FiST unfortunately. I have seen videos of people driving their FiST in snow with snow tires and it doesn't seem to be a problem (just like pretty much any other car in the snow with snow tires -- the tires are the important component). The pilot super sport 3s are probably the best thing I can get for wet-traction (softer compound in the summer tires v.s. all season). My biggest hesitation with putting more money into the car is that I'm just going to have more traction issues and that doesn't really sound fun to me. However, you don't have much issue with traction once you get >40mph and if you adjust your modulate your throttle, but this kind of car isn't like a muscle car... you kind of need to ring it out to get all the ponies.

I did consider a few LSDs but they're kind of a pain to install on this car. At the end of the day, all the things I 'want' are going to be easily had packaged together in the WRX and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (at least for me) to pour lots of money into the FiST and never get it back. Plan for now is enjoy the FiST. I'm not in a place in life where I'm ready for something more extravagant/expensive/nicer. So quite honestly, it's a good fit for me at the moment.

Recaros are nice. I have them, but they're a pain to get in and out of because the side bolsters are high. This annoys some passengers (annoys me on occasion too). I think they're a tad too aggressive for daily driving, but they do their job well. I thought the suspension was fine at first but boy it's actually pretty stiff for comfortable street riding. When the rode is imperfect I know it.

Not sure if your date would necessarily think you're the shit for having an econobox hot-hatch. Really depends I guess? I think the GTI would garner more appreciation from a normal everyday person, but this is the last thing I'd be worried about honestly.

P.S. I think everyone's comments so far are great.

Lmao. Do you have proven data? I dunno man, that GTI plaid is CLEAN and crazy comfortable. But again, if you do have statistical data I'm intrigued. Seriously though, do women not hate the car?
Yes, GTI is more comfortable all-around.

OP
T
Thread Starter #20
Since the main competitor is the GTI, I'll make it cut-n-dry: luxury vs. sport.... Pick the one that's more important to you.

I'm sure everyone has seen this video, but I'll post it anyway...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ShewsWHzE
Yeah I saw that a while ago, but that's for bringing it to my attention again! Yeah it definitely seems like the big factor in the end. While not being luxurious, do you think that the interior is built cheap? Have there been any issues with rattling, or stuff just not being built up to par? I know about the gas pedal spacing.

Larry H Miller Ford and most of the ST guys go there. I haven't put it on a dyno yet but tuner estimates around 50 HP over stock. The only things done to mine are intercooler, panel filter/ induction hose, RMM, oil catch can, muffler delete, and a pro E30 tune from Deadhook. You dont need to modify the fuel system for E30 at all. I have a completely different set of wheels and tires for winter. A ride could definitely be arranged.
Very nice! Yeah man I'd definitely be down to take a ride with ya! Pm'd!

I have summer tires on - michelin pilot super sport 3. Have not tested in snow yet but I'd have to get snow tires b/c we can't fit chains on our FiST unfortunately. I have seen videos of people driving their FiST in snow with snow tires and it doesn't seem to be a problem (just like pretty much any other car in the snow with snow tires -- the tires are the important component). The pilot super sport 3s are probably the best thing I can get for wet-traction (softer compound in the summer tires v.s. all season). My biggest hesitation with putting more money into the car is that I'm just going to have more traction issues and that doesn't really sound fun to me. However, you don't have much issue with traction once you get >40mph and if you adjust your modulate your throttle, but this kind of car isn't like a muscle car... you kind of need to ring it out to get all the ponies.

I did consider a few LSDs but they're kind of a pain to install on this car. At the end of the day, all the things I 'want' are going to be easily had packaged together in the WRX and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (at least for me) to pour lots of money into the FiST and never get it back. Plan for now is enjoy the FiST. I'm not in a place in life where I'm ready for something more extravagant/expensive/nicer. So quite honestly, it's a good fit for me at the moment.

Recaros are nice. I have them, but they're a pain to get in and out of because the side bolsters are high. This annoys some passengers (annoys me on occasion too). I think they're a tad too aggressive for daily driving, but they do their job well. I thought the suspension was fine at first but boy it's actually pretty stiff for comfortable street riding. When the rode is imperfect I know it.

Not sure if your date would necessarily think you're the shit for having an econobox hot-hatch. Really depends I guess? I think the GTI would garner more appreciation from a normal everyday person, but this is the last thing I'd be worried about honestly.

P.S. I think everyone's comments so far are great.
You can't put chains on the FiST AT ALL? Not even Low Profile solutions like the Thule Chains? Hm, that's a pretty big thing for me. I've been in situations where I've had to have Chains AND Snow tires before I could go through road checks with FWD. Yeah, I totally feel ya- part of the reason I'm doing some big research before buying. Knowing all these things helps with the decision to do it or not. The only thing I'm still not sure of is the Recaros, I just need seat time in them. For those who have them, how close are they to the FoST seats? I got to sit in those, and I even thought about doing a junkyard swap of those seats into the FiST. I think the date thing is the last of my concerns too, just thinking of peoples reactions to the car more than anything.
And ya, the comments are spot on- no psycho haters, so far no ones called me an idiot. Good times