Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New FiST owner LA area! Wierd problems.

Hi everyone! I just bought a 2015 Fiesta ST tuxedo black. The is a very cool little car! BUT! I have an issued or 2 with the car. So here we go....

3 Days ago CARVANA delivered my car. I noticed something off with the rear lower bumper fascia, so we marked it down. Took it for a test drive around the block. Car felt nice and was what I wanted/expected. The acceleration wasn't very impressive but I didn't care about the doors flying off because I was just coming from a Prius C (had it for 3 years and was the only automatic car I have ever owned/drove for the past 20yrs). So, we do the delivery and make note of the rear bumper. I take it for a couple joy rides to get used to the clutch and to test the acceleration. Last trip throws a check engine light. I park it for the night and decide to deal with it tomorrow.

So on the 2nd day I decide to hit an Autozone before I hit the hwy for work. They say the computer is saying "underboost." I think to myself, "oh no biggie...probably some pipes I have to tighten." So I get to work and I work at a shop that rebuilds and sells older/vintage cars. I get the mechanic to clear the code and ! find a small hose completely detached. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it's the end of the DV that connects to the tube next to the throttle body. It's missing a clamp but I press it back on to the corresponding connecting pipe. I drive to another parts store to get a clamp. Look under the hood after buying the clamp and it's disconnected again. So I use the clamp and secure the hose very well. I start the car up and get on the road ....decide to try a 1st gear pull out of the parking lot.....................................it fucking LIGHTS UP! It's like a slingshot and I can only barely keep the steering straight through 2nd gear. Check engine light comes back on and...limp mode. I pull over to make sure the pipe is still connected and it is. I start the car again...pulls fantastic again. Hit the hwy and hit limp mode and still have a check engine. I get home and decide to deal with it tomorrow.

Today I take it to Autozone again and the reader says both OVERBOOST and UNDERBOOST. I suspect the underboost is still there from when the pipe came undone on my way to get the clamp.

Now...Car will pull hard still with check engine light. BUT it will hit limp around 4-5k rpms depending on gear. Right before it hits limp it will give me a little warning of dumping the boost with little skips...I can hear the DV while at WOT and feel the power cuts.

This car has got to have a tune, right? This thing makes lots of turbo/intake/dv sounds...could something else be loose or is this normal? or only normal for a tuned car? It appears to be all stock under the hood.

Also, I took the car to my local Ford certified body shop and they said, the only way to fix the rear bumper is to put a new one on.

I also have an appointment at the Ford service department tuesday at 10am. Should I tell them what i suspect and maybe reflash it back to factory. I want a tune, eventually, but I don't want one that will cause limp mode. I just want a fun daily driver that isn't going have problems.

So, I have 7 days to return the car to Carvana if I'm not happy. I suspect waiting til the appointment at Ford might put me out of the return period. Also, each repair is a $50 dollar deductible from the 100 day guarantee/warranty. Which is putting me out of pocket $50(tune,engine light, plumbing fix)+$50(rear bumper replacement)=$100

And here's the small issues, I understand that these are noisy cars but this one has a very audible clunk/clang coming from the rear drive side area on slow left turns (pulling into parking spots). Front suspension/(dare I say)engine bay sounds clack-y often. These have a very stiff suspension, yea? At idle the car is pretty noisy. There's one bit of chatter that will go away every time it press the clutch while parked. I can do it over and over, press clutch no chatter...release clutch and chatter is back. Could it just be flywheel? I have had plenty of manual transmissions and this one is the most noticeable when doing this.

So, even with all of this, I still like the car. What do you guys think? Keep it and deal with issues or send back and try for a different one?

The carfax says the car came from Maryland and it's a 2015 tuxedo black 27k (probably had in the mid 26k when carvana got it) w/sunroof no recaros and I don't think it has nav. I think is saw "Miguel" in the stored phones when I first bought it. Maybe someone knows this guy and I can find out a little more about this car.

Thanks! Sorry for the novel! lol

Welcome to the forum!

That's a really hard one to answer... It sounds like you might have some serious issues, and I know the earlier models suffered issues that they fixed on the 17+.

The cat should be that loud at idle and clunks while turning are odd... Unless you got a hell of a deal and the 100 day warranty will cover all repairs with a $50 deductible... I might consider returning it and finding another ST in better condition, just my 2 cents from 2,400 miles away.

Best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Welcome! My guess is that Miguel probably did put a tune on it, along with some other parts, but he sold those parts when he sold the car, and now it's not tuned right for what it has now. All the clunking weird noises would have me leery, too. That car probably got beat on. Not good.

I'd return the car. Look around for another one. There are plenty of FiSTs in SoCal, and you might find one that's either stock, or has a proper tune on it that won't give you any trouble.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Welcome and I tend to agree with XBR650 , lots of cars to be had here on the used market. Carvana would be a last resort situation to me.

Hit me up I am Los Feliz ( 5 minutes from Glendale lol ) and can definitely help you out on finding a better and whatnot.

Mikey456

I would return it and find a better example. There are a lot of modification possibilities with these cars which is one of the reasons I bought a new one to control for that factor. I prefer to start with a stock car. Maybe u can find a certified one at the dealer with a warranty.

OP
FruitBat
Thread Starter #8
Hey guys! Thanks for all of the input! It seems to be unanimous that I should exchange it. They have more so I've started the exchange process. I should have a 2016 Kona Blue next week to replace it. I'll keep you guys posted!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
FruitBat
Thread Starter #9
Welcome and I tend to agree with XBR650 , lots of cars to be had here on the used market. Carvana would be a last resort situation to me.

Hit me up I am Los Feliz ( 5 minutes from Glendale lol ) and can definitely help you out on finding a better and whatnot.
Hi! I'm actually in Glendale lol. Thanks for the offer! I'm just gonna trade with Carvana for another. They are kind of are a last resort.

Hey guys! Thanks for all of the input! It seems to be unanimous that I should exchange it. They have more so I've started the exchange process. I should have a 2016 Kona Blue next week to replace it. I'll keep you guys posted!

Definitely made the best decision!

dmb

Dpro is a good guy and knows what he is doing, don't let this pass or you could be sorry.

OP
FruitBat
Thread Starter #14
Haha cool. Yea I was forced onto the market by a fender bender that weirdly totaled my last car. I wasn't ready to buy a car. I needed a co-signer and both my fiancee and I are self employed with not-so-great-credit. Still I wanted to get back into something I actually wanted. They're pretty chill with requirements, so Carvana it was the way to go. I'm begging and choosing at the same time lol.

OP
FruitBat
Thread Starter #15
Well, here's a photo for photos sake. The damage to the old car and the arrival of the FiST. I'll be sure to grab a better photo of replacement FiST when it comes in. 58461539_10216867640897590_6386717245048881152_o.jpg

OP
FruitBat
Thread Starter #16

Also, I just realized that hovering over the avatar shows you our location. And for sure know that I had a derp moment when you said you were close to Glendale and I thought that was a coincidence. lol

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Some people don't like Kona blue, because it's a little purple. I think it looks boss.

Mikey456

Yes, I think Kona blue looks great too. I remember looking for a ‘16 with the right options. No luck though. Ended up with black... which matches the wheels. LOL

OP
FruitBat
Thread Starter #19
Some people don't like Kona blue, because it's a little purple. I think it looks boss.
Yea it wasn't my first pick but after looking at it for a min it's growing on me. Kind of loving the combo more than black/silver rims.

OP
FruitBat
Thread Starter #20
Yes, I think Kona blue looks great too. I remember looking for a ‘16 with the right options. No luck though. Ended up with black... which matches the wheels. LOL

I'm losing a sunroof and tinted windows but I'm starting to really dig the kona/black rim combo. Does the '16 come with sync3? I would love android auto.