Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New here - tell me I’m crazy

Should he buy the FiST?

• Run away & forget it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spend 2x as much & buy a low mile car

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I’m a detailer in northern UT, currently daily a V8 T4R, have never owned a ford product but always wanted an ST. Recently one of my dealer customers took on trade a 2016 FiST. 163k mi [yikes] with 2 owners both in central ID, but exceptionally clean. Pearl white with very few blemishes, recaros, nav, sunroof, non-smoker, only 1 lightly curbed wheel but intact oem powdercoat.

I've been detailing for about 10yrs & have seen a few dozen ST’s up close & this one appears to be about as nice as I could imagine given the miles. Interior is nearly perfect, no rattles or loose panels, both keys, both mat sets, nice tint. No clue on mod specifics but there is a mountune plaque on the sill, stock air box & a modest exhaust setup from what I can tell. The biggest mystery is a small indicator light near the gauges & a small unlabeled button mounted in the drivers footwell. (more pics on the way but feel free to shout out ideas)

I took a 20 minute test drive & the car rode very nice, but close to oem spec from what I assume. (the car appears to ride at stock height & the suspension is all boring black) The clutch engagement was nice & clean and every gear change felt smooth. The car pulls well but not much more aggressive that what I remember having test driven a new one in ‘17.

Dealer buddy says he’ll give me a deal at about $2k below retail. I have the parking & I haven’t had a fun car since I sold my VR6 GTI in 2020. I’d like to know the major service intervals for the FiST to see if I can tell what’s been done but any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! I’ve only dealt with $hitty VW’s/Audis & my trusty Yota in the past so I’m all new to this Ford stuff.
C3288E9A-B894-4BC7-AC03-223B896D311C.jpeg 2FDB3318-30F8-4418-9F58-081DBBF0DF5B.jpeg 8640F958-F260-4755-95E5-DD1ED6BC0D73.jpeg 228BAA0F-6B3C-4730-A375-89F7D258CDA7.jpeg
Also please do tell if this whole venture is ridiculously stupid because who in their right mind would go after a freshly traded fiesta with 160k?!

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Idk what a T4R is but buy the car if it's going to be a 2nd vehicle. Put some cash aside for a new engine/tran and enjoy the Fiesta.

Crappy Audis? :D I've had two: a B8.5 S4 and B8.5 S5. Both modded to about 500whp and high 10's low 11's 1/4 mile. Both were very reliable. That being said, I absolutely love my FiST and it's the most fun I've had in an everyday car in a while. The Audi's were a bit much to take to the limits and drive like a hooligan on public roads. Take the plunge, It can last another miles 150K will proper care.

I've had my Tacoma for 15 years and am fairly immersed in the Toyota scene and I didn't know that's what T4R meant.

To the OP, if the price is good, and the rest of the car checks out, no accidents, straight frame, no or little rust, then yeah. As Jabbit said maybe budget for an engine and trans just in case, but it seems like a nice car that you'll enjoy

Looks very clean - frankly cleaner than mine with under 40k on it. That said, would want a VERY good deal at that mileage, in order to set aside cash for a short block, suspension bushings, etc. in the future.

There are others available on here that are great deals too - low mileage with nice mods.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
T4R is such a dumb abbreviation for that. Glad you could decipher it. Maybe I'm just getting old.
I'm older than you, but HardlyClean did drop some hints that his current ride was a Toy, so I just figured from there.

But yeah, I did not 'get it' right away either. [wink]

Recently one of my dealer customers took on trade a 2016 FiST. 163k mi [yikes] with 2 owners both in central ID, but exceptionally clean...Dealer buddy says he’ll give me a deal at about $2k below retail...Also please do tell if this whole venture is ridiculously stupid because who in their right mind would go after a freshly traded fiesta with 160k?!
You didn't say what the "retail price" of a 2016 Fiesta ST with 160,000 miles in Idaho would go for but in today's market I'm guessing $6K-8K? if i'm close let's say you're getting offered the car for $5000. i'd take that deal knowing what i know after owning it for 3+ years.

even if you wanted to be extra cautious and get a rebuilt transmission and motor, you're still getting a fun (and now dependable) weekend ride for $10-12K. aside from the blend door actuaors and slave and master clutch cylinders, most Fiestas are pretty bulletproof (at least compared to VWs and all their gremlins)

dhminer

2000 Post Club
If not abused and maintenance done at the correct intervals, do it. Check hose clamps to make sure they're still the stock ones. Most people if they return to stock and sell/trade it have lost a few of them and you'll find some aftermarket ones in there.

OP
H
Thread Starter #14
Thanks for the info & quick response guys! An extra big shiny thanks for the opinions of my abbreviations! I have the weekend to make a hard decision, so I’ll update here if I move forward.

For those wondering about sale price, the car retail books near $9.7k & the dealer is planning to list it at $8995. My deal would put the out-the-door price around $7k.

Whats a rough cost of having a spare motor & trans to sit in my garage?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just get it and drive it. If it was properly maintained (looks like it), it should last you quite a while. I'd change the timing belt and just enjoy it as is. If you need a new engine or tranny in the future, you'll be able to find them.

Dialcaliper

Thanks for the info & quick response guys! An extra big shiny thanks for the opinions of my abbreviations! I have the weekend to make a hard decision, so I’ll update here if I move forward.

For those wondering about sale price, the car retail books near $9.7k & the dealer is planning to list it at $8995. My deal would put the out-the-door price around $7k.

Whats a rough cost of having a spare motor & trans to sit in my garage?
It looks like it’s in good shape. Does your friend’s dealership have a certified Ford repair service center, or an alternate dealer? If it’s a Ford dealer, you might ask if they’ll throw in a free or heavily discounted timing belt job/coolant change, but other than that there’s not a lot of other major stuff you can’t do just do yourself. If it’s it’s been pretty stock the whole time, it should have some life left.