Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New hubs?

Lays

I just bought a set of extended wheel studs for the dragstrip so I can run slicks, and was wondering if I should replace my hubs and wheel bearings while I'm at it.

Then I can just press the new studs into the new hubs, and slap them on. The car gets beat to hell all the time, so I'm sure the hubs definitely have some wear and tear on them.

Should I just buy new OEM hubs & bearings off rockauto, or a different brand?

It's not necessary, but it's probably a good idea. At the very least I'd do a close inspection of where hub meets the bearing surface, behind the face of the hub, before putting in the new studs.

For context, I did extended studs on my original hubs and didn't have issues for a couple years doing road course track stuff. But after enough abuse I broke a front hub. And I wasn't the only Fiesta who did, so I learned I should think of hubs as periodic consumables for track cars. There was no upgrade when I did this at the end of 2019, and I haven't looked since. I got new Dorman hubs and bearings to replace the original ones.

This post has the pictures of how my hubs broke, and I may not have caught it if I was looking.

CSM

1000 Post Club
It's not necessary, but it's probably a good idea. At the very least I'd do a close inspection of where hub meets the bearing surface, behind the face of the hub, before putting in the new studs.

For context, I did extended studs on my original hubs and didn't have issues for a couple years doing road course track stuff. But after enough abuse I broke a front hub. And I wasn't the only Fiesta who did, so I learned I should think of hubs as periodic consumables for track cars. There was no upgrade when I did this at the end of 2019, and I haven't looked since. I got new Dorman hubs and bearings to replace the original ones.

This post has the pictures of how my hubs broke, and I may not have caught it if I was looking.
Any reason why you went Dorman over Motorcraft? Are there known issues w/ Motorcraft hubs/bearings when tracking?

My car is approaching 100k miles, thinking about doing all 4 hubs, bearings, and APR studs as a refresh. I did it on my Scion recently and it was surprisingly easy (though I'll need someone to press in the bearings on the Fiesta hubs)

Any reason why you went Dorman over Motorcraft? Are there known issues w/ Motorcraft hubs/bearings when tracking?
Dorman was available locally/faster than Motorcraft, and came with bearings and clips along with the hubs. I only had the Fiesta at the time (no other car) and wanted to replace the hubs ASAP.

Next time I do hubs it will be scheduled and I'll get Motorcraft parts.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk