Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New member from North Dakota

OP
O
Thread Starter #4
There is actually a recall for that issue contact Ford and Welcome!
There is actually a recall for that issue contact Ford and Welcome!
Yes, I had the recall done a year ago. The problem only occurs in the mountains and I live in North Dakota. I can drive 24/7 here in 90 heat and the car is fine. In August I was headed west out of Denver and after five miles going up the mountain the heat gauge pegged, which I didn't notice and the car went into the limp home mode. Temp was about 70 and I'm not lugging the engine. This is the fourth or fifth time this has happened, but only in the mountains. The mechanic drove it with a scanner attached and said the engine is not actually overheating, but the heat gauge pegs. Is there an altitude sensor that could be faulty??? This is a condensed version of my issues.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yes, I had the recall done a year ago. The problem only occurs in the mountains and I live in North Dakota. I can drive 24/7 here in 90 heat and the car is fine. In August I was headed west out of Denver and after five miles going up the mountain the heat gauge pegged, which I didn't notice and the car went into the limp home mode. Temp was about 70 and I'm not lugging the engine. This is the fourth or fifth time this has happened, but only in the mountains. The mechanic drove it with a scanner attached and said the engine is not actually overheating, but the heat gauge pegs. Is there an altitude sensor that could be faulty??? This is a condensed version of my issues.
Hmm once in the canyons I overheated in 85 degree weather when I had my air on lol. I forgot to turn it off. I turned it off and the heat came down.
One thing to check for is too see if your fan is coming on. That could be a problem the other I do suggest is getting a Mountune or Mishimoto rad. Its a known fact the cooling system in our cars is on the wimpy side.

Last edited:
OP
O
Thread Starter #7
According to the mechanic who drove it in the mountains with a scan tool attached, said the engine is not actually getting hot, but the gauge does peg out. I've been around overheated engines and when I lifted the hood after it went into the limp home mode the engine did not seem abnormally hot. I wouldn't mind trying the aftermarket radiator, but if the engine is not getting hot, I'm not so sure that's going to fix my problem. To me it seems like an altitude change issue. Is there a sensor on this engine which measures altitude? Can that be faulty?
I normally drive at 1000 to 1500' altitude all day long with zero issues. Problem is only in the mountains.