Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New member!! With a blown up Fiesta from MI

Hello my name is Chris I think it's time I join the forum! I am in the process of installing new Pistons in my fi at 9885 miles! So I am hoping to show the process and let everyone see what it's like to tear this thing apart!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The warranty would not cover anything? Please, show all the pictures you can. If you don't want to post them all, Email them directly to me !! I'm very interested :)

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Sorry for your misfortune.
However Welcome Aboard.

Dave

OP
C
Thread Starter #6
Well I bought my fiesta with 2500 miles on it. It's been an amazing car. One day on my way home from work I pulled up to a stop sign and noticed my tach was bouncing a little at idle and it was missing. It felt just like a misfire caused from a coil pack. It was raining pretty hard and when I got home I thought maybe a coil got wet. It sounded like a Subaru with a cam! Then as I glanced up from looking under the hood I noticed smoke from the exhaust [ohcrap] so I shut her down and decided to pull the plugs. They were all good except #2 fouled full of oil. Then I did a compression test all had 185-190 except #2 it had 65lbs. So I added a ounce of oil to the cyl and my compression jumped to 190! So knew I must have cracked a ring. So I just pulled it all apart and somehow the bottom o the piston broke apart and I cracked all the rings on number 2. But I couldn't tell you what caused it. All the other pistons are fine. The only conclusion I have is it must have been a bad cast or just a faulty piston. It's broke in an area that j have never really seen before. I was wondering if there are any other cases of this.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I think is this def the first time we've heard of something like this. Its fairly common of Focus ST's. But the fiesta's have a really low rate of random engine parts breaking.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
I need to figure out how to post pics so you guys can take a look and let me know you think.

me32

1000 Post Club
I think is this def the first time we've heard of something like this. Its fairly common of Focus ST's. But the fiesta's have a really low rate of random engine parts breaking.
What causes them on the focus st

dyn085

2000 Post Club
What causes them on the focus st
The majority of failures are on cylinder 4, which is the hottest due to being the furthest from the water pump. There's also a pretty poor timing transition that is noticed in low-moderate load transition that typically occurs in high gear when on cruise (like going over an overpass on the interstate). Finally, it's believed that the ring-gap is too tight from the factory.

Basically, many failures add up to LSPI. There are plenty of instances of abuse and a few from reaching stock component limits as well. When time-equalized, the FiST is showing significantly fewer failures as I've only seen a handful of them so far.

OP
C
Thread Starter #19
My car is all original except k&n intake and exhaust. I definitely don't baby the car but I don't abuse it. I'm just hoping when I put it all back together it doesn't happen again [driving]

dyn085

2000 Post Club
It's entirely possible to just have had a bad part. Why didn't you try and get it fixed under warranty?