Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New potential owner from Houston, Texas

Hey everyone I am from Houston and have been looking for a fiesta st for quite some time now. I really want a 2019 as it is the last model year. There are really good rebates right now but I already have two other vehicles! I currently have a hellcat that’s my garage queen and a Toyota Tundra which is my daily driver. I would like to drive a more fuel efficient vehicle that’s fun at the same time (the hellcat gets about 11-12mpg premium and tundra gets 15 mpg :eek::eek:). At this point I’m not sure what to do. I do not want to get rid of any of my current cars but did test drive a fiesta and loved it so I want one.

Anyway, what kind of mpg are y’all seeing?

Attachments

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I drive in mostly stop and go and hut WOT as often as possible and still get like 28mpg mixed. All I run is 91 octane.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
FWIW- the FiST is my 5th car, but I like it the most, and DD it -despite the kidney punishing ride, as I have had it extensively modded. So, in Houston, mostly on BW8, I69, and I10 I used to get 30-33 mpg (on 93), depending on how heavy my foot was. With the latest round of modifications, which included aero "enhancements" and much wider tires (245s vs. stock 205), the economy dropped to about 27-28. If you want high mpg, get an electric car! :)

I'm averaging 35 mpg and that 's with the St 200 airbox , whoosh intake hose and K&N drop in filter , I think what's hurting me on the mileage are the 17"s . Before my wreck I had a 2013 Fiesta basic with a Steeda cai and was averaging 42, 43 mpg but it just had 15"s on it .

My last tank was 37mpgs. You all drive em too hard. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is premium fuel a requirement for the ST?

I asked the same thing at the dealer when I picked mine up and they told me that's not a requirement . But I was also told by the service manager that if you use the low grade it's best to put a full take of premium in about every 3rd fill up to help keep the injections clean . But I've been running premium in mine since the 2nd fill up . The 1st fill up was the dealership and I didn't ask what they used.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I'm averaging 35 mpg and that 's with the St 200 airbox , whoosh intake hose and K&N drop in filter , I think what's hurting me on the mileage are the 17"s . Before my wreck I had a 2013 Fiesta basic with a Steeda cai and was averaging 42, 43 mpg but it just had 15"s on it .
Impressive. Even when mine was all stock, I never got over 34. And that with extreme self control, keeping in 6th @70 mph. But, that's no way to live. FiSTs need to be *driven*...

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I asked the same thing at the dealer when I picked mine up and they told me that's not a requirement . But I was also told by the service manager that if you use the low grade it's best to put a full take of premium in about every 3rd fill up to help keep the injections clean . But I've been running premium in mine since the 2nd fill up . The 1st fill up was the dealership and I didn't ask what they used.
This is interesting. The cleanliness of injectors is not dependent on the octane rating of the gas. What the dealer seems to be implying is that premium gas also has other additives, such as detergents, which the "regular" gas doesn't have. This is simply not true - not anymore - or, at least not true when it comes to the most branded gasoline.

There are differences between brands, e.g., Shell vs Exxon, which use their proprietary additives, but other than the octane rating, there is no *meaningful* difference in the gas grades for the same manufacturer.

In fact, this very question was asked on the CarTalk radio show and was tagged as a myth... And, they ended up recommending the same thing, however. [emoji846]

I would file this under the "old wive's tales"...

Last edited:
OP
P
Thread Starter #12
This is interesting. The cleanliness of injectors is not dependent on the octane rating of the gas. What the dealer seems to be implying is that premium gas also has other additives, such as detergents, which the "regular" gas doesn't have. This is simply not true - or, at least not true when it comes to the most branded gasoline.

There are differences between brands, e.g., Shell vs Exxon, which use their proprietary additives, but other than the octane rating, there is no *meaningful* difference in the gas grades for the same manufacturer.

In fact, this very question was asked on the CarTalk radio show and was tagged as a myth... And, they ended up recommending the same thing, however. [emoji846]

I would file this under the "old wive's tales"...
I agree. Probably old school thinking there when it comes to premium fuel. I read through the owners manual and it says to use minimum 87 octane and more when using it for "severe duty" such as towing. Who is going to tow with a fiesta?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I agree. Probably old school thinking there when it comes to premium fuel. I read through the owners manual and it says to use minimum 87 octane and more when using it for "severe duty" such as towing. Who is going to tow with a fiesta?
Exactly. This used to be the case - but no longer, and for a long time at that. The argument for the super is purely around power, not cleanliness. So, for me that's the reason why I feed it 93.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
High compression + high boost = high octane for best results.

I'm sure you can run low octane and the computer will compensate but you'll lose power.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

It might be in my head, but I feel like the car started performing better when I made the switch to Shell V-Power Nitro+. It’s definitely not as cheap as filling up my Sentra on Regular, but I want to take care of this car the best a I can, and why restrict its true colors?

I’m in Houston myself btw, so hit me up after you sign those papers so we can go for a cruise. I’d love to join or start an ST Club in Houston.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It will cut power on 87. To get the factory rated power it takes 93.
Shell V-Power Nitro+. Is a great fuel they do put extra stuff in for sure. Exxon advertises they put 60% more additives in their premium. More is better. You can believe it or not, but I don't see why they would lie about the additional additives.
Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk