Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New shift boot = reverse issue

Asking if anyone has a work around? Installed a Napa leather shift boot today. Since it is thicker than the OEM vinyl I’m having an issue coming out of reverse. I go into reverse fine but need to physically push the silver reverse ring back down as the spring is now not strong enough. Any ideas? Thanks

Ok after a few minutes of working it in and out of reverse it is better but still not 100%

Leather changes a lot with working and time. It's possible that the problem will solve itself over time. If it doesn't, you can shave leather thinner with a tool called a [skiver](https://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-Super-Skiver-3025-00/dp/B0036KZ9KC). If the shape of area is a little weird for a tool like that, you can literally just use sandpaper.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I had a similar issue with an aftermarket shifter. One thing to check: push up against the reverse "wall" and slowly lift up the lockout ring until the lever will let you shift. Now, how much higher can you lift the ring? In my case, I could lift the ring way too much. What I ended up doing (when I still had the stock knob) is I took a silicone/plastic kitchen cutting board, less than 1 mm thick, and cut washers out of it. I placed these inside the knob so that the reverse lockout would bottom out sooner. Each ring was about 1" outside diameter, 1/2" inside diameter. I also cut a split in them to make them easy to remove. Ended up using 2 washers to make it thick enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Plastic-Cutting-Colorful-Kitchen/dp/B01HN7ZGUQ

I can take some photos tonight if you need further help.