Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Tire Rack Extreme Performance Summer Tires , FALKEN,Yokohama,Continental,Kumho

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Cool info, thanks. Anything similar for sub-200tw class tires? Mainly R888R and competitors (if there are any).

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I had continental DW's on my MS3 and loved them. I might get these extreme contacts after my pilot sports wear out.

OP
Dpro

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Cool info, thanks. Anything similar for sub-200tw class tires? Mainly R888R and competitors (if there are any).
Well thing is the RE71 was in this same class and considered one of the best tires overall in fact besting the 888R. I have a friend that ran 888r‘s is currently on A052’s and I am on RT660’s. At this point in time the 888r is getting long in the tooth so to speak. I guess you would be thinking about AR1’s as an alternative . While tire rack sells 888r’s they list them as racetrack and autocross. I do not see any tests currently for that. I know Grassroots motorsports did a test about 10 months back.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Well thing is the RE71 was in this same class and considered one of the best tires overall in fact besting the 888R. I have a friend that ran 888r‘s is currently on A052’s and I am on RT660’s. At this point in time the 888r is getting long in the tooth so to speak. I guess you would be thinking about AR1’s as an alternative . While tire rack sells 888r’s they list them as racetrack and autocross. I do not see any tests currently for that. I know Grassroots motorsports did a test about 10 months back.
I'm currently on RE71R now and they are impressive. Might have to move up to a 17" next year for better sizes.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm currently on RE71R now and they are impressive. Might have to move up to a 17" next year for better sizes.
^^Nankang makes a bunch of very gummy tires in 16" sizes we can use, but you may not 'trust' them not being a major name brand (IF that matters to you??).

In any/every given size, they have THE widest tread widths of any brand's 100/200 tread wear stickies, including ALL of the 'majors'. [wink] [thumb]

But, they are a Phil's Tire exclusive right now, and Tire Rack, and DTD cannot sell them.

Magnetic

^^Nankang makes a bunch of very gummy tires in 16" sizes we can use, but you may not 'trust' them not being a major name brand (IF that matters to you??).

In any/every given size, they have THE widest tread widths of any brand's 100/200 tread wear stickies, including ALL of the 'majors'. [wink] [thumb]

But, they are a Phil's Tire exclusive right now, and Tire Rack, and DTD cannot sell them.
Have you ran them? How's the turn in?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club

Thanks for the pro-tip! I don't care about the name at all. If I don't like them, I'll chuck them and try something else. Looking into them now.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Have you ran them? How's the turn in?
I do not have them currently, but I AM considering selling my brand new, unmounted 225/45-16 A052s, and getting a set of their 215/45-16 NS-2Rs (to put on my other set of Dekagrams), instead.

They are just as wide in tread width (actually, 0.1" wider! LOL) as the taller, should be wider treaded, 225/45 A052s.

Since this is going to be daily SUMMER setup, and not see any autocross or open tracking, the NS-2Rs do seem to be a better overall tire for WET weather use in standing water scenarios (going by the land/sea ratio of the tread pattern vs. the semi-slick of the Yoks), even given as much as everyone rants and raves about how great the A052s are on just merely damp surfaces.

Magnetic

I do not have them currently, but I AM considering selling my brand new, unmounted 225/45-16 A052s, and getting a set of their 215/45-16 NS-2Rs (to put on my other set of Dekagrams), instead.

They are just as wide in tread width (actually, 0.1" wider! LOL) as the taller, should be wider treaded, 225/45 A052s.

Since this is going to be daily SUMMER setup, and not see any autocross or open tracking, the NS-2Rs do seem to be a better overall tire for WET weather use in standing water scenarios (going by the land/sea ratio of the tread pattern vs. the semi-slick of the Yoks), even given as much as everyone rants and raves about how great the A052s are on just merely damp surfaces.
Once you get em fitted and have some miles on them let us know how you like em.

ronmcdon

I think the Kumho V730 is the most interesting of all.

For autoX and fun daily driving as well as good price, 660s can't be beat.

Price wise, V730 it's the best value. Really hope its comparable to the Z3s, RS4 and 615+ in being a tire that copes well with heat for extended hpde. It's just that right now their sizes suck terribly. For the fiesta, outside of 15" tire sizes everything else too tall and beyond worthless (cannot fit anything they have on my other cars either).

However it is a newer tire so trying to be optimistic they will begin to roll out more choices. Will be happy if they come out with 225/45/16, 235/40/17 maybe even 245/40/17 if not too tall.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
The Force seems to hold its own against the sprint tires. Should be great for long DE sessions.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I think the Kumho V730 is the most interesting of all.

For autoX and fun daily driving as well as good price, 660s can't be beat.

Price wise, V730 it's the best value. Really hope its comparable to the Z3s, RS4 and 615+ in being a tire that copes well with heat for extended hpde. It's just that right now their sizes suck terribly. For the fiesta, outside of 15" tire sizes everything else too tall and beyond worthless (cannot fit anything they have on my other cars either).

However it is a newer tire so trying to be optimistic they will begin to roll out more choices. Will be happy if they come out with 225/45/16, 235/40/17 maybe even 245/40/17 if not too tall.
H Street winner at Solo Nationals was on the V730. They are definitely a very capable autocross tire

CSM

1000 Post Club
I'm on my 4th set of RT660s on my Scion and I am a huge fan. They don't heat cycle out like the RE71R. Predictable at the limit. Good turn in and max grip. I really dont think there's another autocross tire out there that is so good at doing it all IMO

Magnetic

I'm on my 4th set of RT660s on my Scion and I am a huge fan. They don't heat cycle out like the RE71R. Predictable at the limit. Good turn in and max grip. I really dont think there's another autocross tire out there that is so good at doing it all IMO
Good to know, Thanks!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I like that tire as well, and I am hoping for the ONLY other (to go with the Conti Extreme Force) 225/40-17 in existence, but with more tread width than the Conti's narrow deal.

A 215/45-16 would also be sweet. [wink]