Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New to car maintenance and alike

Koohii

Can someone recommend tools/toolsets that i might need to work on the FiST. I'm looking to learn how to do maintenance on my car. Also, any tips and tricks for the fiesta would be nice. Links would be appreciated.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Become really familiar with taking the Cowl...wiper arms and front bumper off. Buy a good $200-400 low profile Hydraulic jack and some Jack stands with jack stand pads. Quality ratchets in 3/8 and 1/4 in size along with standard and metric sockets and Extensions. A 5/8 or 16mm spark plug socket that is thin walled* Screw drivers in Philips and flathead. Get a Plastic push pin remover tool also. Also will need Torx bit sockets for certain bolts on the FiST.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Welcome!
What he said. ^
The FiST isn't hard to work on, generally. Changing oil, etc., is pretty easy. Some things are hard to do simply because there isn't a lot of room.
There are lots of videos on Youtube for most of the jobs you'll do.

Become really familiar with taking the Cowl...wiper arms and front bumper off. Buy a good $200-400 low profile Hydraulic jack and some Jack stands with jack stand pads. Quality ratchets in 3/8 and 1/4 in size along with standard and metric sockets and Extensions. A 5/8 or 16mm spark plug socket that is thin walled* Screw drivers in Philips and flathead. Get a Plastic push pin remover tool also. Also will need Torx bit sockets for certain bolts on the FiST.
Welcome and pretty much erthing he listed will help.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
This is a really nice socket set for a reasonable price. It's not the cheapest, but if you buy really crappy tools you may just end up replacing them and paying twice. These are good enough that you'll probably never feel like you need to replace them, the quality is not far off the high-end tools like Snap-on.
It has a very complete selection of sockets in both standard and deep lengths. The sockets are 6 point which grip better than 12-point ones. The company has good customer service and stands behind their products-
https://www.lowes.com/pd/TEKTON-3-8...Piece-5-16-3-4-in-8-19-mm-SKT15301/1001871620

Last edited:

Sael

While others may disagree with me you can start your tool collection at Harbor Freight and get usable tools with a no hassle warranty. Their low profile jack works great, there was a recall on their jackstands last year so you might want to shop elsewhere for those but regardless of where you get them do use them. You can start for not much money and gradually buy the pricy name brand tools as you need them, but you might find that as a casual user they will be all you need. Even my nephew who is a CAT tech has some HF tools that occupy space in his box next to all of his Snap-On and Mac tools.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
This is a really nice socket set for a reasonable price. It's not the cheapest, but if you buy really crappy tools you may just end up replacing them and paying twice. These are good enough that you'll probably never feel like you need to replace them, the quality is not far off the high-end tools like Snap-on.
It has a very complete selection of sockets in both standard and deep lengths. The sockets are 6 point which grip better than 12-point ones. The company has good customer service and stands behind their products-
https://www.lowes.com/pd/TEKTON-3-8...Piece-5-16-3-4-in-8-19-mm-SKT15301/1001871620
I agree they do make good tools for the price. Cheap socket sets sometimes are full of 12-point sockets they suck.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Seconding what Sael said. It's especially important if you've never worked on a car before because what if you find out you absolutely hate it and don't want to do it yourself? You don't want to be SoL on a bunch of expensive tools that will rarely get used. If you end up liking it, then you can upgrade as the cheaper stuff breaks. I have an $80 HF jack that's been going strong 5 years now with lots of use. Only stuff I wouldn't buy from harbor freight would be safety related or things the require precision. So no HF jack stands, spring compressors or torque wrenches.

With that said, TyphoonFist has a good starting list: Jack, jackstands, socket set (6 point, not 12 point), open end wrench set and maybe a torque wrench.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Floor Jack
Jack Stands
Jack Stand Pads
Kit of sockets & stuff
Ratcheting Wrenches
Torque Wench
4-way Lug Wrench
Thin walled spark plug socket
Oil Filter Wrench
Funnels
Oil Pan

The above would cover 99% of the normal projects one would have. Getting a second set of metric wenches can come in handy (standard open/box combo), A Dremel with various bits, a very thin 17 mm open end wrench (for if you do your own front brakes) Torx bits, Trim removal kit, Brake piston compressor and other odds and ends can come in handy for more specialized tasks but those are the kinds of tools one gets when you need them. I am probably missing some more obvious tools but I am certain others will fill in the blanks.

Edit: A shop manual helps as well

Other more consumable things to have:
Small wire brush
Tooth brush
Penetrant fluid (Like PB Blaster)
Shop Towels
Carb/Brake cleaner
Anti-Seize Lubricant
Brake Parts Lubricant

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^ I would add some dielectric silicone grease to that list above as well. [thumb]

(But some consider that brake parts lube, or at least slider pin lube, if you still have the factory floating calipers.)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I would add a set of Torx bits as our cars have quite a few Torx bolts. oh oops I see someone got that covered. I personally like ratcheting box ends and even better ones with flex heads.
Oh and a extender magnet for when you drop bolts as you invariably will from time to time.
You can get them pretty for pretty cheap at harbor freight. They also have great affordable LED shop lights and flashlights all different sizes to for lighting things up under the hood.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Well it seems like a lot of good information has already been posted. I will share a few tools that I believe are good to have.

By far my favorite oil filter tool.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR4Q8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_K6BJA5EJ264H7E13VGQY

Rounded off bolts and nuts happen, and having a tool that can help you out can be a lifesaver. The rocket socket is by far the best. Made in the USA reasonably priced to be made in the USA and are phenomenal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R7HR63...abc_H77PGT5BPXNTTGQBPWTZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

One of the torque wrenches I have. For the price this is a great tool. You should have one if you're going to rotate your tires.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5ZL1N...abc_35MS3Z731AYD5601DDW2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

A good website for tools, but they sell so much it can be overwhelming.
https://www.tooltopia.com/?gclid=Cj...t75ubO8KAH7uH1SqoyhQU0Hx91O7-h38aAq4YEALw_wcB

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
A lot of people, especially younger ones, will get a car, change a bunch of stuff, then get rid of it; citing reliability issues.
Their having to work on it, is getting in the way of life. People in their life start to notice and comment.
I can and do, do things on my own; and I enjoy doing it right. But I don't enjoy having to do it.
What you may find is, the more you do, the more you *have* to do.
Simply put, unless you truly enjoy the inconveniences and consider the "work", play, stick to necessary maintenance; and handle it all during the warmer months.
Prior car, (because I can be a little hard-headed at times,) it took several times for that to finally sink in.
The aftermarket parts were junk, and I regretted every OEM part replaced, that wasn't actually bad.
Well, almost sank in. Still had to bite me in the ass one more time...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...-part-numbers-video-install.22458/post-444439

All these tools mentioned are amazing. if you can stomach it, Milwaukee impact wrench has saved my arms and time more than enough. I have an m12 3/8” drive I got on eBay for $120 or so. You don’t NEED an impact wrench but they’re SUPER nice, Milwaukee makes wrenches as well as electric ratchets for between $139-$180 or so. I wouldn’t buy any of this until you’re committed to do most of your own work though

also should you be interested, and you don’t already know. An impact wrench is made for automotive purposes and will have the 3/8”, or 1/2” drive as a part of the tool, that you cannot readily remove. An impact driver is a traditional woodworking tool used primarily for driving screws which you can change the head out on. They’re kind of easy to mix up if you aren’t aware.

then there’s the beauty of air tools which we probably won’t need to talk about 😂😂

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
My first purchase with any vehicle is a manual.

Car is five years old with just over 50k now.
Bought this beginning of 2019 and will attempt to use for fist time to do coolant maintenance.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW39HJS/

View attachment 41001

View attachment 40999
View attachment 41000
That works fine for a stock engine.
Don't wait for the wrench light. Change your oil. This car has a turbo.
Clean oil is good.