Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New User With Lofty Aspirations

Pineptos

Hi folks! I'm new from Alberta, Canada. I've got a 2014 Fiesta, SE trim. I've really liked the car aside from the bunk transmission. Which got me thinking about conversions. I'm a few years away from even being able to start getting parts for this ridiculous idea but I was thinking of essentially doing a swap from the SE badge to the ST badge (internals wise). My end goal is to make an amateur rally car for our local scene. Nothing super competitive but fun to bomb around the bush in.

You can find both the 1.6T engines and manual transmissions for cheap on eBay and at local wreckers so I was thinking of doing a "cheap" power-train swap. Does this sound like a viable idea? I haven't spent enough time in the engine bay to know whether the mounts differ from trim to trim. Obviously I'll need to mess with the suspension, wheels, etc but I'd be doing that to a stock ST anyway so I've taken that out of the equation.

I understand I can get an ST for pretty cheap now-a-days too so that's something I'm thinking of trading up to with this idea, but I also have reservations about buying a more expensive car to throw around the bush. Plus this is half rally project and half excuse to do some major mechanical over-haul work for educational purposes.

Anyway, thanks for reading this patently ridiculous scheme. Hope you guys are having an awesome day.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think you'd do better if you can find a cheap used ST. The engine and powertrain are matched with the other bits (steering, brakes, suspension, etc.) and it would be a lot of work to ST-ize an SE.

My 2 cents.

OP
Pineptos

Pineptos

Thread Starter #6
I think you'd do better if you can find a cheap used ST. The engine and powertrain are matched with the other bits (steering, brakes, suspension, etc.) and it would be a lot of work to ST-ize an SE.

My 2 cents.
Do you mean that those parts would need to be swapped with better bolt-ons to match performance or that there would need to be some major cut-and-weld mods to make those parts work? I was planning on doing a swap on most of the usual suspects for performance (suspension, brakes, wheels, etc) as this was going to be a scholastic project.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
If you already own your SE outright and plan to keep it for a bit, I think the power train swap is a good idea. I’m sure most of the after market ST parts would bolt up to the SE anyways.

I’d be looking for a wrecked ST on an auction site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk