Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Version of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Coming in OEM Size

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
According to a Tire Rack rep I spoke to. This is of course the OEM tire for our car (along with an all-season Michelin option.) It has not been shown for sale on Tire Rack for many months now. I am currently using Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, which I like, but they give up some of the crispness and responsiveness of the OEM Potenzas, so I have been wanting to go back to them.
The person at Tire Rack didn't have any other information about the new version other than that it would have the same model number. He estimated it might be available around May. I wanted to let people would know there is hopefully going to be another option in the OEM size coming.
Having another tire choice is always good news to me, because when I go to Tire Rack now and search for OEM size summer tires in their top three performance categories, Extreme, Max, and Ultra High Performance, there are only six tires available. Only one of the six is in the Max Performance category (the same category as the OEM Potenza,) and that is the Pirelli P Zero Nero, which some people on here have said is pretty crappy.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I really wish that B-stone would bring back something in a street tire (or even a 'streetable' 200 tread wear) with the old, ORIGINAL RE-71's 'sine wave' tread pattern, which was from back before many on here were even born. [wink]

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I really wish that B-stone would bring back something in a street tire (or even a 'streetable' 200 tread wear) with the old, ORIGINAL RE-71's 'sine wave' tread pattern, which was from back before many on here were even born. [wink]
I liked the old Bridgestone RE-11, which I think was the predecessor to the RE-71. I had those on my other car, and they performed great and were also surprisingly quiet and comfortable for an Extreme Performance tire.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I'm totally with you, the OEM bridgestones are amazing. I bought a low mileage set that are going on, come spring.

My originals barely made it to 12k. Still had meat on them but the rubber itself cracked from being parked outside in a previous life.

Good to hear Bridgestone is finally coming out with a new updated tire. I hope they don't lose that crispness of The originals.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Please keep us updated. I'm planning on buying new tires in April but I would prefer to get these.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I will, I'm going to ask Tire Rack if they have some way of notifying me when they're available in our size, if not I'm going to keep checking from time to time. I'm also going to need new tires before too long, probably around May or June, so if they come out before then that would be perfect.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
I have about 15,000 miles on the OEM set.

I only got 8800 miles out of my OEM Potenzas. They were rotated once or twice and the pressure checked regularly with a quality gauge. I didn't think I was driving that hard, but maybe I was.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I only got 8800 miles out of my OEM Potenzas. They were rotated once or twice and the pressure checked regularly with a quality gauge. I didn't think I was driving that hard, but maybe I was.
How far did you take them? I'm probably at the point they wouldn't pass inspection.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
How far did you take them? I'm probably at the point they wouldn't pass inspection.

I took them pretty far, they were probably down to 3/32 or so. You couldn't see the wear bars, but I don't think they were that far away. Mine probably wouldn't have passed inspection either.

Mikey456

That’s good to hear. I’m pretty close to needing new tires. I don’t know if I can hold out to May though. I’ve heard mixed opinions about Pirelli Nero. Maybe I will just get them and add another opinion to the opinion list [emoji38] . They are OEM tires for the Abarth so they can’t be that bad. And people who review those cars are not complaining about the tires.

ronmcdon

I liked the old Bridgestone RE-11, which I think was the predecessor to the RE-71. I had those on my other car, and they performed great and were also surprisingly quiet and comfortable for an Extreme Performance tire.
loved the RE-11's. never got greasy on those tires with extended hdpe runs and they lasted quite a lot of track days. that's where im not so sure the RE-71s can measure up and switched to dunlops instead.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I still have my oe tires. They are on the wear bars in a big way. That said my new summer set of wheels is going to be on neogens instead of the 615k i was on last year ( which is a good tire, but way too racecar for street use, especially when it gets wet)

Mikey456

Another thing that bothered me about the OEM Bridgestone tires was the price keep going up at Tire Rack. Whereas other brands had a more stable price. I get that it’s and supply and demand issue but I still need to rationalize spending the extra for a good tire.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Tire Rack ALWAYS r***s you on the exact OEM fitment factory tires, regardless of; the brand, original manufacturer model they came on, or even if they have a 40,000 unit supply of them sitting in their warehouses! [mad] [:(]

In the past, I've seen them ask for almost $200.00 EACH for the small size, all season, B-Stone RE-92s solely because they were mounted at the factory on some 'duhs and Tegs. [nono]

In any case; does anyone have an actual pic of these 'new' RE050s, or is the tread pattern identical to our originals? [dunno]

Last edited:
OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Another thing that bothered me about the OEM Bridgestone tires was the price keep going up at Tire Rack. Whereas other brands had a more stable price. I get that it’s and supply and demand issue but I still need to rationalize spending the extra for a good tire.
I remember seeing them fluctuate between about $170 and $220 each, with the trend going up, so that was definitely an issue.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
In any case; does anyone have an actual pic of these 'new' RE050s, or is the tread pattern identical to our originals? [dunno]
The Tire Rack rep described the new ones to me as a "close copy," I haven't been able to find a picture online, that would be helpful if someone turned one up.

According to a Tire Rack rep I spoke to. This is of course the OEM tire for our car (along with an all-season Michelin option.) It has not been shown for sale on Tire Rack for many months now. I am currently using Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, which I like, but they give up some of the crispness and responsiveness of the OEM Potenzas, so I have been wanting to go back to them.
The person at Tire Rack didn't have any other information about the new version other than that it would have the same model number. He estimated it might be available around May. I wanted to let people would know there is hopefully going to be another option in the OEM size coming.
Having another tire choice is always good news to me, because when I go to Tire Rack now and search for OEM size summer tires in their top three performance categories, Extreme, Max, and Ultra High Performance, there are only six tires available. Only one of the six is in the Max Performance category (the same category as the OEM Potenza,) and that is the Pirelli P Zero Nero, which some people on here have said is pretty crappy.
That's great news! I also run the Indy 500 and you're right, a little less crispy but still a very good tire and does pretty good on track. On my 2nd set of them now.

Pzero neros sucks ass. From a 32 gtr to a fiST, we hate em lol. The bridgestones are good, if found on discount. Indy 500’s for the win if your looking for a appropriately-priced low treadwear tire. I personally like the gsport comp2’s at 90$ a tire 320utqg