Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Yaris hot hatch?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
yea i saw that too. If it were coming to the states I'd be selling my FiST. Pricey but it's truly a lil monster. Sounds like a shit ton of fun!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It won't happen though. It would probably be 40K if it was.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The article i read at motor1.com said it would be $36k for the "First Edition" and 41k for a higher performance variant with forged wheels and more options. Worth it in my book for an AWD go-kart with a 0-60 of 5 seconds backed by a factory Toyota warranty.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Here is the Jalopnik article: https://jalopnik.com/the-268-hp-2020-toyota-gr-yaris-is-the-wildest-rally-sp-1840924138

No USA or Canada at this time. If it was coming to the USA, I would be on my way to a Toyota Dealership for the first time ever to put a deposit down. I'd be willing to pay up to $50K for that thing. I actually feel a bit depressed today after finding out we wouldn't be getting it. It is literally an AWD Fiesta ST MK8 with a glorious sounding 3-cylinder engine.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
WHY would they bring it here when all the denizens of this land want to buy are huge SUVs and trucks??

Even the so-called 'good' car manufacturers (all of the Korean and all of the Nippon companies' products) are now having a hard time selling any actual cars here, whether they be sedans, hatches, or coupes. [:(]

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
WHY would they bring it here when all the denizens of this land want to buy are huge SUVs and trucks??

Even the so-called 'good' car manufacturers (all of the Korean and all of the Nippon companies' products) are now having a hard time selling any actual cars here, whether they be sedans, hatches, or coupes. [:(]
You know WHYYYY? Cuz we're all gonna sign a gosh darn petition and offer 10k over sticker dang nab it!!!

I've always had one problem or another with how this country is run but the absolute worst is the idiotic bigger is better mantra being applied to cars. All the really good pocket pavement rippers are overseas where people understand it's all about how it feels and looks from the drivers seat. Nothing else matters...Google Opel Astra OPC for another prime example *droool*

OP
FistToFast
Thread Starter #8
The article i read at motor1.com said it would be $36k for the "First Edition" and 41k for a higher performance variant with forged wheels and more options. Worth it in my book for an AWD go-kart with a 0-60 of 5 seconds backed by a factory Toyota warranty.
Even 36k feels a bit too high for a hatchback Corolla. Unless the interior is much nice than the FiST which I assume it would be and they didn't cheap out on all the little things. I don't know Toyotas reputation, but 30k would be an instant buy for me. Unfortunately the USA never getting cool cars saga continues.

OP
FistToFast
Thread Starter #9
I really like the look of this car too, the profile reminds me a bit of a 2010 Subaru STi hatchback.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm not crazy about the straight-on front view/profile, but this thing DOES check ALL of the most perfect boxes for me otherwise, and looks downright EVIL in all other views. [wink] [driving]

Ironically, the Toy badge on it is the biggest drawback for me [doorpeek] <-(take this as a hide emoticon, LOL), unlike everyone else on here.
It is a crime that Ford could not have made a 2 door/turbo/AWD version of the Fiesta available, even in Europe, if not here. [mad]

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
That car looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Toyota makes very reliable cars which I generally think of as quite boring. This one looks like a great step in the right direction.
It would be nice if we got it. Of course, it would also be nice if we got the new 3-cylinder Fiesta ST.

I just don't see a viable case for bringing this over. We lost the choices we had because so many prospective buyers demanded huge rebates or slashed margins. So, it makes me laugh out loud when I hear people say that they would agree to pay 30 plus grand per copy!
The future is bright for analog cars, if you are willing to do the assembly of it yourself. But, I increasingly believe that even that possibility will be too much for many people. The digital simulation is cheaper. And most potential buyer/builders simply lack the ambition, drive, determination and tools to ever again own and drive a true, analog enthusiast vehicle.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just don't see a viable case for bringing this over. We lost the choices we had because so many prospective buyers demanded huge rebates or slashed margins. So, it makes me laugh out loud when I hear people say that they would agree to pay 30 plus grand per copy!
The future is bright for analog cars, if you are willing to do the assembly of it yourself. But, I increasingly believe that even that possibility will be too much for many people. The digital simulation is cheaper. And most potential buyer/builders simply lack the ambition, drive, determination and tools to ever again own and drive a true, analog enthusiast vehicle.
I don't believe we have seen a car like this hit US soil in over 30 years. Hence why I would be willing to pay such a high premium to get it.

I don't believe we have seen a car like this hit US soil in over 30 years. Hence why I would be willing to pay such a high premium to get it.
Our cars aren't analog, they mimic some analog characteristics. I can guarantee you that breathed on Yaris is not a bit less digital than what we have now.
I am not knocking digital. It's the future of street cars. But, it will be increasingly difficult and expensive to get a trackable car that can also be used for at least light street use. I would say that a good example of what I am talking about ( that is also a digital car) is the recently released Mustang GT, performance pack level 2. Minus a differential oil cooler, that one is pretty much good to go.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Our cars aren't analog, they mimic some analog characteristics. I can guarantee you that breathed on Yaris is not a bit less digital than what we have now.
I am not knocking digital. It's the future of street cars. But, it will be increasingly difficult and expensive to get a trackable car that can also be used for at least light street use. I would say that a good example of what I am talking about ( that is also a digital car) is the recently released Mustang GT, performance pack level 2. Minus a differential oil cooler, that one is pretty much good to go.
This is nothing like the Yaris we have now. The platform isn’t even the same.

And I think you are misunderstanding this car entirely. My comment has nothing to do with analog versus digital. The fiesta st has the perfect blend of analog and digital for me.

This is a wrc homologation car. Comparing it to a mustang gt is like comparing an apple to a bridge. If you show me a car like this Yaris GR that is like anything else we have been able to buy in the last 30 years I’ll shut up. The evo comes close but I think the technology here is on a whole ‘bother level with 2 lsd’s and a proper 3 cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Actually, it is what Toy would forced to build IF it currently had to make an actual 'homologation model' in a certain number of builds like they had to BEFORE the WRC 'kit car' classes (the team factories/shops are able to integrate a WRC 'kit' to base, naturally aspirated, FWD econoboxes in order to build them into the WRC supercars) became the standard, last during the Group A era, when they had to build 5000 versions to qualify for FIA Group A competiton.

They do NOT have to build any actual homologation models in any number in order to compete in the WRC currently.[wink]

Also, we have NEVER had a WRC-like (AWD/turbo/diffs/flares) ride available here in this size/type class/category, EVER, let alone 30 years ago (the GT-4 Celica does not 'qualify' in my book, given how much larger/more mass it was than this little monster).

Last edited:
oooooooooooooh, it’s so ugly it hurts my feelings

Toyotas as of lately look like a bad piece of origami. Otherwise they look like they’ve been in a collision with all those folds and angles.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
oooooooooooooh, it’s so ugly it hurts my feelings

Toyotas as of lately look like a bad piece of origami. Otherwise they look like they’ve been in a collision with all those folds and angles.
All the cars these days are taking aesthetics to an extreme. Ricers are now bought not built.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk