Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

No garage, do you cover your car?

Just got my 2016 FiST today an I'm in love. The previous owner took superb care of it and the paint and wheels look brand new. I would like to keep it looking this way as long as possible, but I dont have a garage. Any recs?

jeff

2000 Post Club
Just got my 2016 FiST today an I'm in love. The previous owner took superb care of it and the paint and wheels look brand new. I would like to keep it looking this way as long as possible, but I dont have a garage. Any recs?
Hey again.

My Fiesta stays in the garage but I had the same question for an old Honda I recently acquired. After doing about 30 hours of paint correction on the car (it had been in a sandstorm out west) I wanted to preserve the beautiful paint/clear coat as much as possible. I did a good bit of research and have had it covered for 6 months between use with zero issues. Here's a sum-up of what I've learned:

1 - get a decent car cover with three straps with buckles...make sure you get the 3 buckle kind, it's super easy...I'd spend the money and make sure you get one that's the right size for the Fiesta...they make custom ones for it...just make sure you have buckles, don't get the grommet/rope kind, they're crap and take too long to put on the car...no buckle and it will blow off
2 - make sure the car is relatively clean before covering it...I use a California car duster (Walmart, $20) which works great...any significant dirt/mud should be washed off before covering
3 - any decals on the car need to be covered (I use a piece of paper with painter's tape) before the cover is put on so that the cover doesn't scrape on the decals and slowly pull the edges up
4 - probably most important is a good quality wax at least every three months, that will go a long way toward protecting it and is especially important since it lives outside
5 - I would not let anyone touch your car, no washes (even touchless), only do it yourself or your clear coat is going to suffer because nobody cares about your car like you do...nobody touches my car but me...

My cover is holding up well and doing a great job protecting the car. I drive the car weekly and the uncovering process takes about 2 minutes, the covering process takes about 4 minutes, not bad at all, that's including dusting, covering decals, covering and tightening straps.

Check her out...these recent pics are after about 6 months of using the cover...

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/actuator-and-maf-mod/1577917144899.html]

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/icabod/1574828328711.html]
[/URL][/URL]

Here's some more info for a thread I started on this not long ago:

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/car-cover-411.21769/

OP
N
Thread Starter #5
Jeff coming through with the super detalied breakdown again, you da man dude! And daaaamn, that's a clean Lude man, nice!

jeff

2000 Post Club
Jeff coming through with the super detalied breakdown again, you da man dude! And daaaamn, that's a clean Lude man, nice!
Errhhhh....I design spaceships for a living so I’m over technical about everything...I have issues...but thanks!