Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Not sure about my winter setup (springs and wheels)

Hello,

I bought a Fist this summer and it is currently equipped with Vogtland springs (1,4 inch drop front and rear) and stock rims. I find the height a bit too low, especially for winter here in Canada. I also bought another set of stock rims (wanted the black one) few weeks ago. So...

1- I'm looking to change the springs (mainly to get a bigger gap , but a smoother ride would be welcome as well). Not sure what to choose between Mountune, eibach or even the OEM one (simply because it is the one with the highest ride, therefore better for winter?)... I know Mountune would just bring up the front by 0,3 inch, is the ride quality really better to justify this small change over eibach?

2- Depending on which springs I end up with, should I stay with one of my 2 sets of stock rims or go with steel wheels (if so, 15 or 16 inches?)

Hope I was clear and thanks :)

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I loved Mountune over stock springs, it seemed like it improved ride quality. I think you'd be better off with smaller wheels for winter tires - it would soften up the impact of bumps/etc.

OP
Gabou44
Thread Starter #3
I loved Mountune over stock springs, it seemed like it improved ride quality. I think you'd be better off with smaller wheels for winter tires - it would soften up the impact of bumps/etc.
Ok, thanks for sharing :)

I swap from my FA 500s for summer autocross to stock springs/Bilstein B6s for winter. The Bilsteins are valved better than the stock units, and the stock springs are 1)free and 2) taller for a little more clearance. +1 on Steve S's tire size- there is plenty of sidewall there. Bonus: it feels like going from a truck to a Ferrari when moving back to the summer setup.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I swap from my FA 500s for summer autocross to stock springs/Bilstein B6s for winter. The Bilsteins are valved better than the stock units, and the stock springs are 1)free and 2) taller for a little more clearance. +1 on Steve S's tire size- there is plenty of sidewall there. Bonus: it feels like going from a truck to a Ferrari when moving back to the summer setup.
I wish that I could do an every year swap like this, but it is a logistical impossibility for me, and I am guessing, most others on here.

I am jealous that you are able to do this though, as it is ideal.

IF I could, I would have 2 sets of Rieger R2 rally coil overs, (at $8K EACH set [crazyeye]LOL!) with a gravel setup for winter and rally working, and a tarmac setup for warm summer use in between those events. [driving]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You could also use a 195/55-15, or even a 195/60-15 (for more of that crater cushioning, and survival of hitting them, but yes, a wider tire is not better for [deep] snow), depending on the width of the 15" wheel you choose.

IF you are worried about ground clearance, I would just pair factory springs (try to find earlier, pre-2016 versions as they are a slightly higher [linear] spring rate) with Bilstein B6es. [wink]

I purchased my FiST new and the first thing I did with the car was to remove the 17 inch rims and change to 16 inch rims. Those 17 inch rims still reside in my basement and the improvement in the ride was very distinct. When the first winter was approaching I purchased some 15 X 6 rims and 185-60 R15 Blizzakz. Note, having learned winter driving with a 1970 VW Beetle I came to appreciate the benefit of skinny tires on snow covered roads. If I could get the Blizzaks in a 160 width to fit my rims I would have got those but 185 is as narrow as is available.

BTW, as someone old enough to have started driving in 1971 I've seen a lot of fashions come and go. One of the absolute STUPIDEST fashions I have ever witnessed is the ongoing craze for 40 and lower profile tires. IMO anything shorter than a 50 profile is just a good way to join the Busted Wheel a Month Club and the performance benefit of super low profile tires is darned near zero. Actually on rougher road surfaces a super low profile is a disadvantage because they don't have good rebound adhesion.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^MANY of the winter/snow tire manufacturers do make a 175/65-15 size, which could be put on a 15x6.

Yes, not that much narrower than the 185/60, but a bit more sidewall cushioning. [wink]