Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Occasional trouble getting into first gear...

Hey all,

I have had my manual 2014 FiST since 25k and have a total of 65k on it now. Occasionally, I can't get it to go into first gear from a stop, like when I am sitting at a light. I have to either move the shifter from first, to neutral, then try again or cycle the clutch pedal to get it to drop in. It's actually been this way basically since I have owned it for two years, but only happens about once or twice per day.

Does anyone else ever have this happen?

-Steve

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is a common issue for a lot of vehicles. Aside from checking there's nothing in the way of your shift linkage, try shifting down into second, and then back into first.

A7xogg

After my rmm, powerflex engine and transmission insert, and a shift linkage adjustment that fixed my issue of occasionally having an issue with first gear and 3rd. These mounts are a joke to the car

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I have the same issue with 1st gear about once a week. I have more trouble with 2nd actually, it feels rough going in (especially when cold) and have had it pop out of gear many times. Tried the cable adjustment, next step for me is removing the shift adapter on the transmission.

I've had this issue since I got the car brand new. I also had this issue in the manual that I owned before this. Seems pretty common. If I cant get it into gear after the second try, I leave in neutral and then re-engage the clutch and try again and it usually works. Annoying but normal enough I guess.

It feels like it might be related to the hill assist? I'm not sure. If the car is moving and even if the revs should be matched sometimes I have to blip the throttle harder than I think I would, and it slides right in. If the car is stopped and it happens I usually just have to hit the clutch and brake again in neutral to get it to go in smoothly

I've had this issue since I picked my car up brand new. I've heard its common and has to do with the synchros. I have developed the habit of going from neutral to second then first when at a dead stop to avoid this.

A7xogg

I have the same issue with 1st gear about once a week. I have more trouble with 2nd actually, it feels rough going in (especially when cold) and have had it pop out of gear many times. Tried the cable adjustment, next step for me is removing the shift adapter on the transmission.
From what I've seen, the adapters that go on top of the transmission put the cables at a severe angle and cause issues

I've had this issue since I picked my car up brand new. I've heard its common and has to do with the synchros. I have developed the habit of going from neutral to second then first when at a dead stop to avoid this.
All my old VWs were the same way. 1st gear (and reverse IIRC) don't have synchros, so the best workaround was to simply shift into 2nd, and then 1st (or reverse)

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
From what I've seen, the adapters that go on top of the transmission put the cables at a severe angle and cause issues
I was worried about exactly this when I installed the adapter to begin with. The bracket that holds the cables down looks like it can't easily be bent to reduce the angles. A new aftermarket bracket that is designed with the adapter in mind would rock but dunno if there is enough of a market for it for someone to make one. I'll be taking the adapter out this weekend.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yipes. I just put one in. I guess we'll see.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Topic was also discussed here. (and there are some other threads)
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/15374-Is-this-an-issue-Or-driver-error?styleid=10

Manual shifters intuitively learn to rev-match as we push the clutch pedal and move the shift lever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnXLZg_O1rk

My motorcycle, (a sequential shifter, not direct,) is really really bad about not being able to hit first at a stop and you have to roll it back or forward for a relatively long distance to manually align the trans. I'll apply light but firm pressure on the shifter while rolling and it engages the instant it aligns.

Anyway, the way I avoid the problem is to shift into first as I come to a complete stop, just before reaching 0 MPH. The less audible the shift, the better the execution. (note, rev matched at shift, but without actually releasing the clutch pedal/lever) The motorcycle trans will SLAM (very loud) into second or first if your RPMs are way off for the given travel speed.

For the car, no resistance, noise, means good timing and execution. But you move the shifter into first only at *THE* lowest possible speed (but still moving) while your engine is at idle.

Foot off the accelerator, clutch pushed in, engine at 800RPM, it is bad if you move your shifter into a given gear at too high a MPH. Absolutely avoid this, more especially for first. For the Fiesta ST and under those circumstances, you'll want to move the shifter into first, just as it comes to a complete stop.

==================================

My prior car, also with some hydraulics in the clutch, had an adjustable length rod between the clutch pedal and the firewall. When engagement became borderline, no longer smooth, making very small adjustments, lengthening, smoothed out engagement. Just a couple of turns of the 10mm nut at a time, was all it needed. There were specifications for clutch pedal free-play and engage-height in the manual, depicting where the clutch pedal was in relation to the floor, when the clutch was engaged. Do not adjust so far out that you end up riding the clutch. Also, clutch master cylinders are capable of leaking internally (never loosing fluid) as well as externally. http://www.feoa.net/threads/soft-clu...3/#post-691070 IIRC never had to replace that clutch master cylinder until well over 200k.

I've never had a manual trans go bad and therefore have never had to do it. But I've read that folks who have failed synchronizers, are able to compensate by "double clutching". (push clutch pedal, shift into neutral, release clutch, match RPM to MPH, push clutch, shift into gear, release clutch)

The graphic here may be helpful for understanding...
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission2.htm

Hey all,

I have had my manual 2014 FiST since 25k and have a total of 65k on it now. Occasionally, I can't get it to go into first gear from a stop, like when I am sitting at a light. I have to either move the shifter from first, to neutral, then try again or cycle the clutch pedal to get it to drop in. It's actually been this way basically since I have owned it for two years, but only happens about once or twice per day.

Does anyone else ever have this happen?

-Steve

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
My 2014 Fiesta ST started doing this at about 65 thousand kilometres and I have had it from brand new... Very annoying!

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Yep me too... You have to give it just the right amount of throttle and acceleration to get it to mesh nicely and that is not easy to do every time and I did hear that these gearboxes have a crap 2nd gear synchro.. sound very true !

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Troubles with the 1st gear got since the very first ride. Now,with about 71k,things are better changed...still remains some shifting of this gear only with cold engine.[:)]