Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

octane rating

In the owners manual it seemed to suggest 87 octane fuel. This along with the Low 5w - 20 oil rating this also seems too low for the car and that ford is trying to make the car cheaper to own rather then run correctly. what do you run in your stock vehicles for both fuel grade and oil?

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I use 93 octane. The ECU in the car will advance or retard timing automatically based on your fuel. The better, the more hp although the increases I felt were small without proper tuning. The light oil is due to the tight tolerances of the engine and the fact it's a turbo from what I've gathered on here.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

In the owners manual it seemed to suggest 87 octane fuel. This along with the Low 5w - 20 oil rating this also seems too low for the car and that ford is trying to make the car cheaper to own rather then run correctly. what do you run in your stock vehicles for both fuel grade and oil?
I run 5w50 in mine. Dunno why, just didnt feel right in my gut to go with the Ford manual.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I run 5w50 in mine. Dunno why, just didnt feel right in my gut to go with the Ford manual.
A 50 weight? Why? I could see a 30 weight....a 40 weight is pushing it....IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

CSM

1000 Post Club
On stock tune you can run 87 just fine. It will pull timing to compensate. 93 will unlock most power on stock tune.

You can run 5w30 if you want. In fact I think the FiST in other countries calls for 5w30. I belifve 5w20 is to help with economy and emissions in US.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I believe 5-30 is a ford approved alternate weight. I have used 5-30 since 1k miles. 20 just seems too thin. My old focus calls for 5-20, 242k miles on 5-30. I do think 20 is for emissions.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^There ARE large variances in the actual viscosities of the thousands of 5W-30s out there.

Red Line 5W-30 (the original, highly additized, 'good stuff' in the white concal bottle) is MUCH thicker in HTHSV (High Temperature High Shear Viscosity), at ~3.8 HTHSV, than let's say Ravenol DXG 5W-30 ( at~3.0 HTHSV), or any of the on the shelf at Wal Mart 5W-30s, some of which are UNDER a 3.0 HTHSV. [wink]