Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil and Oil company trivia test

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I was going to give a big prize but, forget the prize, my wife saw this and slapped me twice, gut punched me and stole my wallet. Made several disparaging comments about prizes. Last seen enroute to mall with my money and cards.

Try this without Google first..................I'll post the answers in a few days. Winners get to look in the mirror and say "I am a genius Superman or woman and know lots of silly useless crap".

Scoring, 5 points for each correct answer, -10 for each wrong or no answer, divided by 1/4 of your age plus 28% of the total age of your children. Then subtract 2 times the age of grandchildren plus the last four numerical digits in your license plate and add the square root of your your 5 digit zip code. When you calculate a score look in mirror and say "I am an idiot!". LOL!

In reality post what you think your score will be @ 5 points for each correct answer before using Google or the answers are posted!

1. Why was Pennsylvania grade crude oil preferred for refining motor oil in the early years of oil refining?

2. Company names.....where did the name ESSO come from?

3. What do the two fingers signify on Kendall Oil ads, "V" for victory or the number 2?

4. What brand "put a tiger in your tank" ?

5. ARCO is an acronym for what?

6. What brand was NASCAR's first Official Gas?

7. What is the impurity that defines "sweet" crude oil and "sour" crude oil?

8. Whose slogan was "The hottest brand going"?

9. Where did you buy "NO NOX" gas?

10. "Trust your car to the man that wears the ______"?

11. In 1954, ________introduced one of the first multi-viscosity motor oils called TropArtic.

12. Where is Shell Oil company parent company located?

13. Who is majority owner of CITGO?

14. By 1923 many American drivers were buying "Ethyl" gas, why?

15. What did the "66" mean in Phillips 66 name?

16. What oil company sponsored the 1968 Lemans winning light blue and orange livery Ford GT40's?

17. The winged Pegasus is a symbol of what oil company?

18. One gasoline company sold unleaded premium gas many years before it was mandated, who was it?

19. What is the largest American oil company based on market share.

20. What is the largest oil company in the world?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
5. Atlantic Richfield Corp.
10. star
12. Netherlands
13. Venezuela

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Those were my guesses off the top of my head. I can't answer the rest, though I'm old enough to remember "put a tiger in your tank" and some other things. I don't remember the exact companies. I imagine some of them no longer exist.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I know most of these (due to my age LOL), but not; 2, 7, 8, 9, or 18 off the top of my head.

I actually had one of those tiger's tails hanging out of the gas filler of my '66 Poncho LeMans ragtop 326, given away as a promo by the company I shall not name, but know. [wink]

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I know most of these (due to my age LOL), but not; 2, 7, 8, 9, or 18 off the top of my head.

I actually had one of those tiger's tails hanging out of the gas filler of my '66 Poncho LeMans ragtop 326, given away as a promo by the company I shall not name, but know. [wink]
Gas stations were a different world "in the day"; fixed flats, oil changes and tune-ups. I remember Sinclair stations giving away small green Dino blowup toys with a fill-up and the tiger tails. Full Service was actually full service.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Trivia answers

1. Why was Pennsylvania grade crude oil preferred for refining motor oil in the early years of oil refining?

It was much cleaner than oil from other fields and a higher paraffin content which was desired in motor oils.

2. Company names.....where did the name ESSO come from?

From S.O. or Standard Oil.

3. What do the two fingers signify on Kendall Oil ads, "V" for victory or the number 2?

It was to signify the first motor oil rated for 2000 mile oil changes up from the 500-1000 that was normal at the time.

4. What brand "put a tiger in your tank" ?

ESSO

5. ARCO is an acronym for what?

Atlantic Richfield Company

6. What brand was NASCAR's first Official Gas?

Pure Oil provided tanker trucks on the beach ( see pic). Yes Pure!

7. What is the impurity that defines "sweet" crude oil and "sour" crude oil?

Sulphur. Low is sweet and high is sour. I found out a great amount of the Sulphur mineral is provided as waste from oil refining.

8. Whose slogan was "The hottest brand going"?

Continental Oil Company...AKA CONOCO

9. Where did you buy "NO NOX" gas?

Gulf stations

10. "Trust your car to the man that wears the ______"?

Star. Texas Company. AKA Texaco slogan

11. In 1954, ________introduced one of the first multi-viscosity motor oils called TropArtic.

Phillips 66, it was also the first approved for military use.

12. Where is Shell Oil company parent company located?

The Netherlands, Royal Dutch Shell

13. Who is majority owner of CITGO?

Venezuela, but USA economic restrictions does not allow them to profit from it to due to politics down there.

14. By 1923 many American drivers were buying "Ethyl" gas, why?

She was a hot blonde......no, it provided the Lead to prevent knocking in engines.

15. What did the "66" mean in Phillips 66 name?

Route 66 and a road test of their new gas formulation on route 66 gave the test car a new top speed of 66 miles per hour.

16. What oil company sponsored the 1968 Lemans winning light blue and orange livery Ford GT40's?

Gulf, the paint scheme is the most iconic on the GT40's. I believe only one remains and worth many, many millions.

17. The winged Pegasus is a symbol of what oil company?

Mobil Oil

18. One gasoline company sold unleaded premium gas many years before it was mandated, who was it?

AMACO or American Oil Company sold "white" high octane unleaded gas. Campers bought it for their Coleman lamps and stoves as it was cheaper than the Coleman brand of fuel. Could also be used for cleaning as it was led free.

19. What is the largest American oil company based on market share.

Chevron

20. What is the largest oil company in the world?

Saudi Arabian Oil Co, AKA Saudi Aramco went public in 2019 becoming the largest oil company in the world by market cap.

Some did ja' know things

Aviation gas still uses lead for the piston engine planes. Illegal to use in cars. But seems lots of it goes into cans for the plane owners classic cars.

Texaco was the first gas stations in all 50 states.

Early Pennsylvania oil companies were Kendall, Quaker State, Amalie, Sun Oil Company and Wolf's Head. Many other companies used it in their oils like Pennzoil and Sinclair. The one most people think is a Pennsylvania oil company is Pennzoil. Not so, is was formed in 1963 from the old South Penn Oil companies merger.

Pennsylvania grade oil is green in color but keep in mind Pennsylvania grade oils do not have to come from Pennsylvania.

Recycled oil can be used to make synthetic base fluids.

Many synthetic oils are made from the same food grade mineral oil that we put on babies. Baby oil just adds a perfume to it.

Metals and Motor oil......Kendall invented the process to add titanium to motor oil, as soon as the patent ran out many others jumped aboard. Kendall's new oil has replaced the titanium with ......with......ummm they are not disclosing it. I think because it is not patentable. Titanium was not patentable but the process to add it was.

More metals and oil....In 1964 Sinclair introduced Nickel in their motor oil for wear protection.

There are many independent refineries in the USA. They make the boutique and store brand oils for companies per their "recipe".

Oil is Oil is a true statement. It is the additives that make motor oils different.

gettyimages-83203814-2048x2048.jpg download-e1509470208171-286x300.png xevhvq26vwp85w.jpg 197108-001-626x834.jpg 317582fb83da46f78dfb522d4eb3898a.jpeg 5321198_1_l.jpg a611f640b008d636b9b3d851cd3778f2.jpg An-advertisement-by-the-Atlantic-Refining-Company-in-the-Au-gust-17-1926-Bridgeport.png c0ff9809ef6292e9a0aeec1455bb9ec3.png download.jpg Ford-GT40-Mk-I-Gulf-149046.jpg hcqchawarhx.jpeg MarketingFuel-Gulf.jpg MarketingFuel-Sunoco.jpg s-l400 (1).jpg s-l400.jpg standard-oil-timeline.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I remember getting one of those little green brontos from a Sinclair station in my youth.

I STILL call BP stations 'Amocos', and my son always corrects me, since he's never known them as Amoco during his driving life. LOL

Brad Penn oils are still green, if that company is even around anymore? [dunno]