Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil cooler, adapter, hoses, DIY and why

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The stock radiator is asked to cool the water and oil and on hot days, especially higher powered cars, it simply cannot do the job. Disconnecting and even better removing the stock oil to water cooler frees up the radiator to do it's job better and a remote oil cooler is more effective than the stock setup.

For those with the very costly 2-J radiator or willing to DIY a bigger than stock radiator this mod may not need to be done, results may vary. I am going all out but will have big power on road race tracks in hot weather so just doing all I can as many years experienced at what it takes to keep a car drivable on track.

I have ran the car on two track days on moderately tuned Cyborg setup, 75 degrees, highest temp logged during a 25 minute session really going all out was around 205 degrees oil temp and one spike of 230 on water temp but the rest of the weekend the highest water temp was below 220 if I recall. I will look through the hundred+ logs I have to see if I can find the info, which I have posted here likely somewhere before.

-------
NOTE:

This is a thread in progress, I just sent this info to a member and after spending the time on it decided to make a thread specifically for it, I have posted some of this before but wanted to have once concise place to find the info.

If you have links, pics, results of your mods, recommendations, questions, corrections, etc.. please post:)

I will add pictures as I take a few more.

------------------------
To removed the stock cooler you need a 12mm allen socket that is long enough to reach the mounting part used to hold on the cooler. I had to buy one as my regular allens socket set was not long enough, I think it was 2.5 " total length.

*Picture to follow

Then you need a nipple to screw into the block to hold on the Mocal(or other brand) plate, make sure it has a thermostat.

I used a brass one I found, same threads on both ends as the oil filter so you can use a filter to test the threads, but I found one with a hex drive flange in the middle so I could use a socket to tighten it against the Mocal unit. That part was at my local hardware store, I can look again to get specs off it.

UPDATE: I was at the hardware store, it is called a 3/4" Hex coupler.

As you can see, much tighter space to work with leaving the stock oil to water cooler in place, only the stock size oil filter fits and a bit hard to change oil and not make a mess. It was very low cost and pretty easy to remove it.

I will post a better set of pictures if I find them.

Note: I prefer push on hoses instead of braided as much less weight, less cost, less abrasion easier to work with and they are still race grade. I had a hose blow off at high speed once due to miss matching hose and fittings as different brands are not exactly the same, now I use SS crimps for added insurance, low weight, low cost, they are for sprinkler installs and easy to use and not hard to removed if needed, problem solved or prevented.

Note:

The thread on the other side is what you screw the filter onto though I wish it had a couple of more turns on the threads it was all I could find but seems to be just fine as the hoses and fittings keep it from moving anyway but I am looking for something longer if I can find it. I think it is standard pipe thread here and I might use a brass nipple that is a bit longer and silver solder and flange to it to tighten it with if I cannot find a better solution.

*Will post a picture the next time I change my oil

If enough people wanted one I could draw one up and have stainless steel ones made but they would be quite costly.

-------------------

Here is a way to save a bit more weight, the hose and fluid inside it and clean up the area a bit, more room to get to the filter, etc.....

*I have pictures I can post and or take more precise ones

The water from the overflow tank and passenger compartment are met at a tee between the alternator and throttle body.
The one leaving to the right from the front looking at the car feeds to the oil to water cooler and from there to a connector on the right side of the engine to go to the heater through the firewall.

I pulled out the T and removed a little alignment tab and put it back in place flipped over and attached the hose from the overflow tank to it. Then I cut off the outlet hose a couple of inches as it tapered down, slide in a brass thin wall barbed fitting and used clamps and a section of heater hose to match the new outlet side and ran it to the connection at the right side of the engine. I heat wrapped the hose where it passed the throttle body as well.

*Alignment tab is easy to see when part is removed, clip holds this part on, O-Ring sealed.

I did not weigh the parts or estimate the fluid weight as I do many parts but it will save at least 1lb and it all adds up, cost was minimal, effort as well, looks much cleaner, more room to work, worth it to me to do these extra steps.

The oil cooler was chosen for the biggest one to fit where I needed it and fitting on the same end, dual pass, to keep housed out of the air flow. It was mounted to the left as far as possible so at least 1/3 of the air does not hit the AC condenser/radiator area and I opened up the radiator support behind it to allow air to flow through that section better. I also used ABS sheet to block air from leaving the area unless it went through the coolers.

This is a bit more extreme than some may want to do but the overall principle is the same, at leat you can clean up the air flow with using some of the ideas here. Drill holes in the crash beam and vertical section, cooler lines not blocking airflow, etc....

At first I drilled holes in the hugely over sized and very none aerodynamic crash sensor mount beam to all out more air flow but later made a much smaller new unit to be even less restrictive and welded on tabs for the oil cooler mounts. It was much lower in weight and about 30% less restrictive than the stock beam.

I also drilled holes in the vertical support between the ribs for more flow, the one in front of the AC/radiator cores.

I then drilled holes, step bit works best, into the middle of the ribs on the lower section of the radiator support to allow much more air out the back of the IC to make it much more effective.

And made ABS seals for everything.

*Pics to follow

The oil warms up quite quickly with this setup even on cold days, it may not not be as fast as the stock setup but fast enough as I did not check since my car was only stock for 293 miles which I put on less than 20 of them when I did this mod.

As for oil filter I use NAPA branded Wix Gold Gold part number 1355 as superb and low cost and approx twice the size of the stock filter but I could fit an even bigger one and may the next time. I have done this for many many years on pure race cars, street and race, etc, a barely more cost than stock size filters for a gain in capacity and filtering.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Wow when you inform you inform. Great post even though this is not for me other than seeing that a oil filter can still fit if adding a plate for oil temp/pressure monitor. Tight fit but doable. BTW great camera work to.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Temps were with the cooler installed, bypassed stock oil to water cooler, stock radiator, fan shroud opened up a bunch, grill and bumper opened up as well.

------------------

Adding a plate for the temp and pressure instead of a plate for an oil cooler should be easy as long as they supply or you can find the right "nipple" as in the 3/4" hex coupler(verifying the correct info on this) I used to attach the Mocal plate.

------------------

Thanks about the pics, I probably could do better if I took the time to learn the manual settings on my Nikon P510 big point and shoot camera:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Great input, I will get part numbers as well:)

The oil cooler has the ports on the top and bottom on one end which could be a fitment issues for some installs, they do make the with less rows which would help out though not as effective.

They also make them with the ports on one end which I did not come across when searching for the cooler to use, I will look into them as well.

Sigfod

Great input, I will get part numbers as well:)

The oil cooler has the ports on the top and bottom on one end which could be a fitment issues for some installs, they do make the with less rows which would help out though not as effective.

They also make them with the ports on one end which I did not come across when searching for the cooler to use, I will look into them as well.
Part numbers are key, also do you have any images of the fitting used to make mocal fit?
What thread pitch of mocal adapter did you order? Stock filter thread pitch is listed as 3/4-16, but you state you used a 1/2" hex coupler.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Verifying correct info, seems I got something mixed up, looking for the part I used which is no longer stocked where I bought it.

I believe 2" is the right size as mentioned by another member, which I will look up and edit the thread(s) for all the correct info.

Rick

Sigfod

I am going to the hardware store with an oil filter and make sure I have the correct info and will update this thread as needed:)

I will not have the exact length yet, not until an oil change but my car is apart and has been for sometime waiting for the first DHM/RAAMaudio EFR turbo kit:)

I will buy 2 or 3 sizes to ensure I have the right one.

I am also going to order some in stainless steel if I can find them, better to use the strongest I can find but brass is likely perfectly fine as mine has held up well including lots of data logging runs and 200+ miles all out on track.
The Mocal plate is 1 - 5/16" thick if that helps. 2" is probably the best option to have enough nipple in the block and in the filter adapter. I would think that brass would hold up fine as that is what MOCAL uses for their adapter. Also brass will seal better than stainless with less possibility of damaging the block should something happen.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Thanks, I did not see where they used brass as the fitting I used the plate comes with is steel or if brass has a coating on it to look like steel.

The part they sell as an extension seemed to be steel as well.

Brass will seal better but it is not likely a big deal as the amount of oil that could seep through the threads is so minimal it would likely have no ill effect in this particular application.

I am going to dig in a bit more and will edit my posts for the most correct information and I will put it all on the first post.

I will just check the hex coupler I used and get a slightly longer nipple as the coupler was just a bit shorter than I would of preferred.

Thanks again:)
Rick

codestp202

Anyone think this kit will work with the 24 row cooler?
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/RPWOilCoolerKitwithThermo/OilCoolerKits#reviews

All you would need to do is fab up your own brackets, and find the right fitting to connect the two water lines together from the old cooler.

Anyone know if this sandwich plate would function properly out the box? Looks very similar to the mishimoto one.

Edit, does anyone know what I could use as the 90 degree water connector?

2nd Edit: Found what to use:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steel-105-Degree-Hose-Connectors,9295.html

But does anyone know the size of the hoses coming off the stock heat exchanger?

Last edited:
OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Sorry but I have a hugely busy day and will not be able to check this out until tonight or possibly tomorrow though I will try when I take a break, if I take any that is today.
Please be patient, you want to do this right the first time:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
There should be a link to the Mocal adapter needed to replace the stock oil cooler with their tstat plate, try this thread first.

Also if not here then another thread I explained how I flipped the Y connector to shorten the hose going from the front of the engine to meet up with the HVAC heater hose.

I used a brass pex coupler to connect the hoses as there was a change in size at the Y connector.

I also heat shielded the hose to help keep the intake cooler and also shielded the intake tube, stock then later aluminum one.

I also covered the oil cooler hoses in that area.

My preference is push on rubber hoses and then I add a clamp, I like to use Pex clamps when I can, low weight and will never come loose.

Rubber hoses weigh less, cost less, do not wear out things they touch, easier to handle....SS lines are not needed in the least and I rarely use them.

codestp202

Out of interest I am running a universal kit, I am using a Mocal sandwich plate with thermostat. I am still using the OEM heat exchanger.
So you're using the universal kit that racerpartswholesale sells? Did you leave everything connected on the stock heat exchanger, or did you cap off the stock heat exchanger inlet/outlet.

codestp202

There should be a link to the Mocal adapter needed to replace the stock oil cooler with their tstat plate, try this thread first.

Also if not here then another thread I explained how I flipped the Y connector to shorten the hose going from the front of the engine to meet up with the HVAC heater hose.

I used a brass pex coupler to connect the hoses as there was a change in size at the Y connector.

I also heat shielded the hose to help keep the intake cooler and also shielded the intake tube, stock then later aluminum one.

I also covered the oil cooler hoses in that area.

My preference is push on rubber hoses and then I add a clamp, I like to use Pex clamps when I can, low weight and will never come loose.

Rubber hoses weigh less, cost less, do not wear out things they touch, easier to handle....SS lines are not needed in the least and I rarely use them.
Yeah, I'm pricing out the rubber hoses and connectors vs SS lines and aluminum connectors.

My last question is that connector to attach the mocal unit to the block. Could you link to the part number? If you have a part number it would save me.

Disregarding length and thread type

Does the connector looks like this:

Or this

Sekred

1000 Post Club
So you're using the universal kit that racerpartswholesale sells? Did you leave everything connected on the stock heat exchanger, or did you cap off the stock heat exchanger inlet/outlet.
I did not use the kit but it would probably be cheaper to do that. I used a 16 row cooler because of the size, part # MOC-16210. The coolant lines are still connected for the reason I wanted the heat exchanger to still function.

codestp202

I did not use the kit but it would probably be cheaper to do that. I used a 16 row cooler because of the size, part # MOC-16210. The coolant lines are still connected for the reason I wanted the heat exchanger to still function.

Ah okay, so you just bolted this on top of the existing one. Do you still see noticeable oil temp drops & coolant drops?

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Did not measure oil temps because I have not fitted a gauge or temp sender. Something I have been meaning to do at some stage. Made no difference to the coolant temps. My coolant temps run around the 200f range. Euro spec cars do not seem to have the over heating problem some of you guys experience.