Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil drip following GFB install

Just recently installed a GFB VTA along with a Dizzy Stage 1 tune and noticed a bit of oil on the garage floor. I know the install instructions state that it's normal to have residue around the atmosphere outlet, but I didn't expect dripping. Even some of the wiring loom that runs through there had some oil residue on it.
I'm fairly confident everything is tightened down and I'm positive they haven't backed out as I paint marked them.

Do you think it's something with the DV install or something else?

I'm a bit annoyed as the car only has 4k on it and I keep the engine bay & underside very clean

Attachments

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Did you get the oil super hot any of the days??
My car did this autocrossing on a 100 degree day. Oil got a bit hot and thin. And found its way past the turbo seals. I since switched BOV types and locations, and monitor my temps a lot closer. Hasnt ever happened again. Pull the charge pipe and its dry as a bone. My only guess is it had to have come literally from behind the compressor wheel. And a little bit will look like a disaster since its pressurized. Lol.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Hey did you install the bov while the turbo was on the car or off the car? That bov fitment is very particular and if you mixed up the bolt holes it could be leaking by at the sealing surface. There is quite a bit of oil that runs through the charge pipes but usually it makes its way back to the engine via the pcv system and isn't usually an issue or gets burned off. It comes out as a vapor but sometimes can pool up. I noticed you said it's dripping and one drip would be fine anymore than that I'd agree there may be an issue. Also, the bovs usually have lube on the piston that comes from the manufacturer and it's possible since it's brand new some of this oil is being blown out and that's normal. My tial did this and so did my turbosmart bov for about a week or so.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
WutApex
Thread Starter #5
Did you get the oil super hot any of the days??
Nope - I've only driven it 96mi total following the install of plugs/tune/DV. Almost all of it 20min trips to work and back. In fact this last week I hardly got on it as I was seeing how good of MPGs I could get with the Stage 1 tune.

Hey did you install the bov while the turbo was on the car or off the car? ...
It was installed on the car. It's my understanding that the bolts holes are not symmetrical, so it could only go on one way. The electrical connector is located in the same position so I'm confident it's orientated correctly.

Are you positive that it is not coming from the turbo's oil feed line's flange/seal?
I'm not positive of anything - the only thing I've done was check the oil level, crawl under the car to take a pic and to see if I could spot where it was coming from, which I couldn't. Feed line is up top, right? Is that easily accessible?

Between work, graduate studies, and the fam, I'm tapped for time right now.
If I take it to Ferd, since it's obviously still under warranty, will they balk at the tune & VTA?

p.s., the oil dipsticks on these things suck balls...

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Tune and bov is only an issue if it can be proven it caused the leak. You didn't take turbo off the car so I doubt they'll prove anything.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

jayrod1980

Wipe everything off and go drive it the same away again for a week or two and check. Could be oil from taking off the hot side charge pipe from the turbo when installing, could be a lot of things. You first need to see if this continues. I pulled off my catch can...soaked my alternator with oil. Terrible, I had to degrease a lot of stuff. I spent a good 2 hours cleaning it all up. Next time I went under my car, I still had little oil runs and pool spots from the previous mistake.

The hot side turbo pipe in the picture will often drip oil when it’s removed. Was it really tight to begin with? If not, oil could be weeping and moving to other areas.