Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil or something similar in boost hoses

Hey all,

I did a radiator upgrade yesterday, and while I had the FMIC off I noticed some brown sludge on the cold side of the Boost hose just after FMIC [mecry][:(!]. Feeling on the inside of the hot side, I noticed it was a little oily. Should I be worried?

I am assuming this is due to seals failing in the turbo mixed with condensation from FMIC? The car only has 37k miles on it, would these really be going bad already?

Sorry for the bad pictures, I didn't think to take a picture of the piping till after i cleaned it, so i just had to crop pictures from the radiator install.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0cjHZzvWiWmiei5h2
MVIMG_20180128_145710.jpg IMG_20180128_145703.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

felopr

I have seen something like this in my car before putting a catch can, now, dry as the sun

OP
mattw
Thread Starter #3
I have seen something like this in my car before putting a catch can, now, dry as the sun
Oh that is good to hear! I did install the FMIC ~10k miles ago and haven't had it off until yesterday. I installed a catch can only ~2k miles ago, so that could be it.

Thanks!

felopr

Oh that is good to hear! I did install the FMIC ~10k miles ago and haven't had it off until yesterday. I installed a catch can only ~2k miles ago, so that could be it.

Thanks!
When i bought the car new, and changed the stock fmic, it was about 5k-10k miles, i saw like a mixture of little oil residue and water condensation. it was very small amount though.
This my opinion, the pcv hose connection at the manifold is directly on top of the throttle plate, so redisues would go down the cold charge pipe and log themself in a flat part downstream of the cold pipe (the rubber hose). Also the cold charge pipe joint (the place where the rubber hose and the hard plastic one meets, the one with little ribs) that part doesnt make the greatest of seal and is prone boost leak with the stock clamps. I installed a catch can and put a turbo clamp in that joint. After 40k miles, i remove the system to put charge pipes and the hoses where dry inside.
If you suspect the turbo is leaking oil, just pull the hot side, see if there is oil there also