Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil recommendations

I live in S. Fl.... so warmer temp year round. I will soon own a 2014 Fiesta ST. I believe the manufacture recommends a 5w - 20 full synthetic... Isn't 20a little light for a turbo charged engine? In my mini cooper S with the 1.6L turbo I was told by my mechanic who specializes in such vehicles to use 5W-40 liquimoly in my turbo cooper vs 5W-30... why does the factory recommendation have such a low viscosity to a similar sized turbo engine in another car?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Synthetics keep their viscosity levels better at temperature extremes than mineral oil. That's why the recommended viscosities are lower than what used to be recommended with mineral oils. The lower viscosity also aids in fuel economy.

felopr

I live in Puerto Rico and i have found the car likes better 5w30. Europe's stock oil weight is 5w-30. They use 5w-20 because of fuel mileage.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. Yearound. Location: Northeast.
Been using it since 2500mi, now at 13k miles.
Purrs like a kitten.

OEM filter, OEM size.

Oil change every 3k miles... I know I'm crazy, but oil is cheap (Wally World has the stuff for roughly $25, and can be had even cheaper when penz does rebates) and worth the piece of mind, imho.

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

Last edited:
5w20 Castrol Edge and motorcraft FL910S filter. 5k intervals, oil comes out clean and a medium brown every time. FWIW my car is mostly a daily with occasional canyon runs. Never been raced or tracked.

OP
B
Thread Starter #10
I live in Puerto Rico and i have found the car likes better 5w30. Europe's stock oil weight is 5w-30. They use 5w-20 because of fuel mileage.
right thats what i figured.... I didnt get the car for its fuel mileage, I got it for its turbo charged fun factor. I think 5w - 20 is too light for the stress. I just didnt know if the car was designed to run with lighter oil and a thicker one would cause problems. I will switch next oil change

Flaco

2000 Post Club
Been using Castrol 5w30 for 30k miles. I prefer it to 5w20, its just like water to me. I've experienced no difference in mpg. And no issues.