Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil temperature.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Which is exactly what it needed to be. That's why cars which do extensive stop and go/idling service have to follow the heavy duty service intervals on oil changes, while cars that see highway use follow the light duty service intervals. The time in the 220-230 temps is getting in the optimal range for oil longevity. I think you are misinterpreting my post, which was to say that unlike coolant temps, you want the oil to be hotter than water boiling temperatures a significant portion of the time. And even the strangely vociferous support for low coolant temperatures on this forum is somewhat misplaced. Sure, you don't want to overheat the engine, but people seem to believe that if their engine goes above 190 degree coolant temperature they are going to blow up their engine or something. In fact, overcooling the engine isn't good for it either.
I think people get an accessport and become obssessed with watching numbers. In this case (Fiesta ST), it's a number that's not even real.

By the way, the temperatures I quoted were not my own; they came from automotive information websites. But I've been an automotive enthusiast for longer than most of you have been alive, and it's the same as it's always been.
You also want those elevated oil temps for a longer time period to cook off all of the fuel diluted into the oil from shorter than 45 minute drives, especially in cooler temps, and with direct injection.

Fuel acts as a solvent, and can thin out the oil's viscosity, lowering it's protection of bearings, lifters/cam followers, and upper cylinder walls and rings, so you do NOT want it in your oil.
Fuel is also not a good engine lubricant at all.

Last edited:

TemecFist

Have you ever run the oil 'gauge' function on the AP at the same time as the dedicated REAL oil temp gauge to see just how far off the interpolated/calculated figures for oil temp are on the AP from the actual temps??
(Or don't you even own an AP in order to do the above?)
Yes, I have an AP. TBH, I've never ran that function on the AP to see how accurate it is. I have a test session this weekend, if I remember, I'll change it over to see how accurate it is, and I'll report back and let you guys know.