Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Okay, I'll say it: I like the sounds of the new F1 engines

Perry

Call me a heretic, I don't care. I prefer the sounds of the new engines--1.6L V6 Turbo, and a beautiful turbo whine as they let off the power. RPMs are also limited this year to 15K, versus 18K in past. And there's also a new ERS in play--now available for 33 seconds per lap, if I understand correctly, with the energy having been regained from both kinetic sources and heat. The technology is amazing.

The Devil only screams through 8, 10, 12 cylinders but I like the tech with the new engines and they have virtually the same lap times as the old engines...safer too

Can't say I prefer them, but I don't mind them one bit. I can't wait for this weekend!

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I am interested in the recovery technology these engines are using, particularly the Turbocharger. The turbocharger runs without a wastegate and is connected to a electric motor which spools the turbo when there is not enough exhaust flow so the system basically has no lag.

Parcial quote from a press release.

HOW THAT ALL FITS TOGETHER

"In 2014, the fuel quantity for the race is limited to 100 kg and the fuel flow rate limited to 100 kg/hr. If the conditions and percentage of wide open throttle are such that the driver demands maximum power for more than one hour, there is clearly not enough fuel to make it to the end of the race. However, since the car will be propelled by both fuel and electricity, the balance between the two will become a key success factor, with the goal to maximise speed and minimise lap time.

A standard lap
Under acceleration (eg. down the pit straight) the internal combustion engine will be using its reserve of fuel. The turbocharger will be rotating at maximum speed (100,000rpm). The MGU-H will act as a generator and recover energy from the heat and energy lost in the exhaust and pass to the MGU-K (or the battery in case it needs recharging). The MGU-K, which is connected to the crankshaft of the ICE, will act as a motor and deliver additional power to pull harder or save fuel, should the control electronics be so configured. At the end of the straight, the driver lifts off for braking for a corner. At this point the MGU-K converts to a generator and recovers energy dissipated in the braking event, which will be stored in the battery.

Under braking the MGU-H converts to a motor to keep the rotational speed of the turbocharger high enough to avoid the curse of the turbo engine – turbo lag. This is a phenomenon experienced under braking when the turbocharger speed slows as a lower volume of gas is produced. When the driver accelerates and more gas is produced, the turbo can take time to return to full rotational speed. To prevent this lag, the MGU-H turns to a motor and powers the turbo, keeping the rotational speed as close to optimum. When the driver exits the corner and gets back on the throttle, the MGU-H returns to a generator and picks up the energy from the active turbocharger and exhaust gases. The energy recovered can either power the MGU-K to keep the fuel burn as low as possible or charge the battery.

Over the course of the lap, this balance between energy harvesting, energy deployment and (carbon) fuel burn will be carefully monitored".

I think you're crazy man. Nothing will ever beat the V12 and V10 era F1 cars for me at least. Obviously if this motor wasn't so restricted by the sport, then maybe I would change my mind, but a 1.6L turbo in an F1 car seems....... well.... I'm sure you know where I'm getting at :)