Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

One week with a stratified tune an I no longer miss my Abarth. (also, logs, input appreciated)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
2017 FiST
Injen hot air intake (I know I know, but I am a giant child and wanted my jet sounds)
Turbosmart em2 DV
Stratified 91 octane tune, with loud crackles, progressive crackles, and no crackles.
3" t304 catback with vibrant resonators
-> of note, currently running ~e15-e20

*Allow me to clarify - I am not after outright performance - I have other vehicles for that. I wanted my FiST to make me giggle the way my Abarth did.*
One of the things that made me miss my Abarth (other than the exhaust sound!!) was that it was really peaky and you had to work to keep it in boost. With the ST, power delivery was so predictable and smooth that it was kinda boring to me. The car was too quiet, everything worked, and I wasn't "bonding" with it the way I did with my Fiat. (I am a huge believer in "you like something for it's qualities, but you love it for it's flaws" - a little bit rougher around the edges is what I wanted) Here on the forum I asked for advice to "make it mine" - I did exhaust. I did an intake - those were nice, but didn't affect "feel" - I tried not to get a tune like everyone recommended, I really did, because I wanted to avoid warranty issues, etc., but I was getting bored and found myself at a Fiat dealership looking at another abarth, at least as a weekender. Then someone popped up with a used AP3 on the forums. I purchased the AP3, ran the cobb s1 tune for a few days monitoring logs, etc., then I received my Stratified tune. Just a plain-jane 91 octane tune... I flashed the strat tune and...

I *like* driving to work again when I have to actually go in; I used to love riding motorcycles but that's not an option anymore- the Fiat was an absolute hoot but was always broken (3 months for a throwout bearing!!)... The FiST is my daily beater, but I wanted a lil' more perk and this totally did it. Boost comes on hard in a more "exciting" manner - linear throttle is fantastic. The crackles are infantile and obnoxious and I love them (they're really not that bad - pops between slow shifts and dropping throttle at around 30% can give a nice staccato burst of pops; more than anything it gurgles, I think partially due to my 34" 1/4 wave resonator). The whooshy intake sounds are there, though I'm sucking hot air so I might go cowl intake at some point. The turbosmart em2 eliminated the "softness" of the stock DV when you drop throttle then get back on quickly. The car feels angrier, more eager, and has the "barely tame" feel that I was looking for.

Here are my datalogs from part of my drive home this morning. Nothing crazy, no hard pulls, just driving home on surface streets and enjoying it. I'm going WOT a *lot* less often; partially because I am relearning throttle modulation with the linear throttle and partially because the midrange surge is enough to make me smile. I'd love any feedback on the above or on my datalog; as near as I can tell I'm more than safe, it keeps adding timing - the only negative correction I have seen was coming around a corner and shifting to 4th instead of second, and giving it a lot of throttle at too low of an rpm (-0.54 correction, most of the time it's +3.4 or so). Where I fill up there are 2 e85 pumps attached to 91 octane pumps, so unless it's a bad idea I'll probably keep doing 2 gallons of e85 + fill up with 91 octane. The car seems to really enjoy it. I know I could get an e30 tune, but that adds a level of inconvenience to my daily that I am not looking for.

My next modification, per my logs, should probably be an intercooler - one momentary pull saw the IAT's go from 10-15 above ambient to 30+ above ambient. After that, probably a cowl intake for cooler inlet air and even more whooshy sounds.

Me after flashing the strat tune:

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I love the throttle control with Stratified.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You can have switchable maps, i have them on mine and will switch to 91 until i pump e85 in, its really easy to switch, no inconvenience at all.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
You can have switchable maps, i have them on mine and will switch to 91 until i pump e85 in, its really easy to switch, no inconvenience at all.
I would get paranoid and need to test the e85 at each fill up, etc. Right now I'm fine just doing 2 gallons e85 and the rest 91, doing so has so far had zero impact on my fuel economy and I like the peace of mind :p

I get that its not a big deal - if I was looking for bleeding edge performance out of the car I'd probably do it, I just don't wan to go there with my daily (yet lol)

I have to be careful, I have gone too mod crazy in the past and wound up buying another car because I overdid it on my daily. Crazy custom cams, flad slide carbs, pods, aftermarket ignition, etc. on one of my bikes made it fast but obnoxious to ride and I wound up selling it as I didn't enjoy it anymore (but it was a really fast FZ1!). If I do an e30 tune, then I'll start looking at the next steps. I think I'm at a plateau right now where I can be happy :)

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
That doesn't even make sense to me. Mixing E85+gas on an E30 tune is easier and safer than what you're doing now.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
That doesn't even make sense to me. Mixing E85+gas on an E30 tune is easier and safer than what you're doing now.
How is bumping up my ethanol on a 91 tune unsafe? I'm giving some octane headroom in an area known for crappy gas stations :shrug: if I ran an e30 tune and I *didn't* test ethanol content it's a lot riskier than running a higher octane than I need.

Here in Ohio we have 93 as our standard premium fuel which is nice, but I always run my Stratified E30. I laminated the Stratified chart and carry it with me so when I fill up, I always buy a total number of gallons I am sure I have room for. I tested my closest E85 and it is right at 85%. I will test seasonally because Stratified told me it is likely to drop as the winter arrives. If it does drop, I will use the commonly circulated online calculator since the Stratified chart assumes full strength E85. I have all 5 slots full on my AP and it takes about one second to change on the fly. 93, E30, 93 eco (15 psi limit), E30 eco, and valet. I think you're missing out if you are not running a Stratified E30 tune. Have it added to your current file in an empty slot. You may be on a plateau right now, and you may be happy there, but do you see that Stratified E30 peak rising up next to your plateau? Climb it and go from happy to elated. [biggrin] And don't worry about risk running an E30 tune. Monitor ignition correction in cylinder 1 and also monitor knock count in cylinder 1 with your AP to make sure you are good to go. I get no negative corrections and 0 knock count, and my OAR is always -1.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Here in Ohio we have 93 as our standard premium fuel which is nice, but I always run my Stratified E30. I laminated the Stratified chart and carry it with me so when I fill up, I always buy a total number of gallons I am sure I have room for. I tested my closest E85 and it is right at 85%. I will test seasonally because Stratified told me it is likely to drop as the winter arrives. If it does drop, I will use the commonly circulated online calculator since the Stratified chart assumes full strength E85. I have all 5 slots full on my AP and it takes about one second to change on the fly. 93, E30, 93 eco (15 psi limit), E30 eco, and valet. I think you're missing out if you are not running a Stratified E30 tune. Have it added to your current file in an empty slot. You may be on a plateau right now, and you may be happy there, but do you see that Stratified E30 peak rising up next to your plateau? Climb it and go from happy to elated. [biggrin]
lol if the e30 map was on there, then I'd run it, then I would need an intercooler, and wider tires, etc. lol

I specifically avoided adding it. I know I can add it later, but for right now I want to get used to the current tune so I can at least appreciate the difference with the e30. If I went straight to e30 then the only next step is a bigger turbo :p

Just wondering... it's the Abarth 500 we're talking about right? Not the Abarth 124 Spyder?

The LTFT and STFT can handle a decent amount of ethanol before it throws a lean AFR code. I wouldn't worry too much. If you go above I think 25%-35% ethanol, you risk throwing a code.

Overall the logs look good. I would recommend adding "Est. Torque" and "Est. HP" as well as "Ign. Cor. Cly. 1" and "Ign. Cir. Cly. 4" ... Maybe 3 & 4 as well if you want to do everything. Logging the ignition correction on each cylinder tells you if you need to swap plugs. You probablly do, Ford's plugs are too hot (and gapped huge) for a tuned car.

Ideally, you swap to a step colder NGK spark plugs (gap to 0.026-0.028") and and get the intercooler done. Whoosh Motorsports and Depo Racing sells affordable factory fit intercoolers. Whoosh is one of the best vendors we have.

AccessPort, Colder Spark Plugs, Intercooler, Turbo Swap, Downpipe, Intake, Exhaust.

That's is the ideal order to get things done. You don't really make any power on a new downpipe or a new intake. Downpipe might as well be done with the turbo, as you have to pull it off anyway. Stock intake is good for about ~265 HP in hot, humid summer weather. My testing showed the stock intake wasn't too bad of a restriction in cold (50-60F) weather. I have 3rd gear pulls before and after the intake on the same day if anyone cares to see. :p

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Just wondering... it's the Abarth 500 we're talking about right? Not the Abarth 124 Spyder?
Yeah the 500 abarth. It's an absurdly good time to drive. I found it a lot more fun than the 124 spider abarth. I test drove the 124 spider and the top of the windshield was right at eyebrow level, it was untenable for me (6'3" all torso - a... penguin-like build). Stock vs stock I'd say a good comparison would be

FiST -> Champion show dog, pretty, athletic, and well behaved.
500 Abarth -> Scarred up one eyed angry chihuahah that tries to fight trucks.
124 Abarth -> An angry poodle. Looks nice, generally well behaved, but tends to growl at things.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
The LTFT and STFT can handle a decent amount of ethanol before it throws a lean AFR code. I wouldn't worry too much. If you go above I think 25%-35% ethanol, you risk throwing a code.

Overall the logs look good. I would recommend adding "Est. Torque" and "Est. HP" as well as "Ign. Cor. Cly. 1" and "Ign. Cir. Cly. 4" ... Maybe 3 & 4 as well if you want to do everything. Logging the ignition correction on each cylinder tells you if you need to swap plugs. You probablly do, Ford's plugs are too hot (and gapped huge) for a tuned car.

Ideally, you swap to a step colder NGK spark plugs (gap to 0.026-0.028") and and get the intercooler done. Whoosh Motorsports and Depo Racing sells affordable factory fit intercoolers. Whoosh is one of the best vendors we have.

AccessPort, Colder Spark Plugs, Intercooler, Turbo Swap, Downpipe, Intake, Exhaust.

That's is the ideal order to get things done. You don't really make any power on a new downpipe or a new intake. Downpipe might as well be done with the turbo, as you have to pull it off anyway. Stock intake is good for about ~265 HP in hot, humid summer weather. My testing showed the stock intake wasn't too bad of a restriction in cold (50-60F) weather. I have 3rd gear pulls before and after the intake on the same day if anyone cares to see. :p
I have one step colder plugs on order from Whoosh already. I have had the tab for Ron's intercooler sitting open in my browser at home AND at work for over a week now daring myself to do it lol.

I haven't figured out yet how to change what the AP logs, though to be honest I think I spent all of 5 minutes trying.

I did swap to plugs one step colder, but here in Central Ohio I did not install the FMIC I had sitting in my garage, even though my tune is made for one. I don't need it. I monitor charge temp and it is almost always within 10 degrees of ambient. The only time it climbs way high is if I am sitting in traffic, and it would do that with a new FMIC too. I don't track the car, I don't autocross it, we don't have vast expanses of canyon roads that allow extended full throttle runs--just mostly flat, boring driving crawling with law enforcement. Plus the real summer heat here does not last very long. If I ever get negative corrections or charge temps way above ambient, I will install one. Otherwise, not. There are lots of people here who will tell you I'm full of it and an FMIC is the FIRST performance mod to make. Lots of people here who have become experts by being here. There also are many truly knowledgeable people here that I appreciate a lot and have learned so much from. I guess my point is that if you live where I live and drive your car the way I drive mine (and it is driven hard--just not for sustained periods without any break), you don't need a FMIC if charge temp, ignition corrections, and knock are all good. Plus, you might actually build boost a little faster with the OEM lower volume IC.

Last edited:
OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
I did swap to plugs one step closer, but here in Central Ohio I did not install the FMIC I had sitting in my garage, even though my tune is made for one. I don't need it. I monitor charge temp and it is almost always within 10 degrees of ambient. The only time it climbs way high is if I am sitting in traffic, and it would do that with a new FMIC too. I don't track the car, I don't autocross it, we don't have vast expanses of canyon roads that allow extended full throttle runs--just mostly flat, boring driving crawling with law enforcement. Plus the real summer heat here does not last very long. If I ever get negative corrections or charge temps way above ambient, I will install one. Otherwise, not. There are lots of people here who will tell you I'm full of it and an FMIC is the FIRST performance mod to make. Lots of people here who have become experts by being here. There also are many truly knowledgeable people here that I appreciate a lot and have learned so much from. I guess my point is that if you live where I live and drive your car the way I drive mine (and it is driven hard--just not for sustained periods without any break), you don't need a FMIC if charge temp, ignition corrections, and knock are all good. Plus, you might actually build boost a little faster with the OEM lower volume IC.
when i started getting above 85f here it gets pretty noticeable, and on the logs after a single pull i was over 30+ from ambient. I don't think it's "necessary" but I'll probably do it anyways. because reasons :D

when i started getting above 85f here it gets pretty noticeable, and on the logs after a single pull i was over 30+ from ambient. I don't think it's "necessary" but I'll probably do it anyways. because reasons :D
I mean, if you live in Alaska or are near the boarder to Canada (and you don't race your car), you can wing not having an intercooler. Where I am right now, it is 115F in parking lots at lunchtime.

Only upside is that I can run summer tires all year round. I don't drive when it below freezing here anyway because the city shuts down.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
I mean, if you live in Alaska or are near the boarder to Canada (and you don't race your car), you can wing not having an intercooler. Where I am right now, it is 115F in parking lots at lunchtime.

Only upside is that I can run summer tires all year round. I don't drive when it below freezing here anyway because the city shuts down.
I get ya. I used to lust after various AWD cars, but living in southern california near the beach all my life it just didn't make sense. If I lived somewhere that saw snow one day a year or more I would've had a WRX ages ago. I still want to pick up an old bugeye scooby tho.

I did swap to plugs one step closer, but here in Central Ohio I did not install the FMIC I had sitting in my garage, even though my tune is made for one. I don't need it. I monitor charge temp and it is almost always within 10 degrees of ambient. The only time it climbs way high is if I am sitting in traffic, and it would do that with a new FMIC too. I don't track the car, I don't autocross it, we don't have vast expanses of canyon roads that allow extended full throttle runs--just mostly flat, boring driving crawling with law enforcement. Plus the real summer heat here does not last very long. If I ever get negative corrections or charge temps way above ambient, I will install one. Otherwise, not. There are lots of people here who will tell you I'm full of it and an FMIC is the FIRST performance mod to make. Lots of people here who have become experts by being here. There also are many truly knowledgeable people here that I appreciate a lot and have learned so much from. I guess my point is that if you live where I live and drive your car the way I drive mine (and it is driven hard--just not for sustained periods without any break), you don't need a FMIC if charge temp, ignition corrections, and knock are all good. Plus, you might actually build boost a little faster with the OEM lower volume IC.
Pretty sure I saw you earlier this week on Frantz Road in Dublin. I've got an FMIC and have a very similar driving experience from what I can tell, but I noticed a pretty significant change in the way my car felt. It really just gives consistancy going from stoplight to stoplight, as I've felt torque/power fade once the engine gets up to temperature with the stock intercooler.

I would get paranoid and need to test the e85 at each fill up, etc. Right now I'm fine just doing 2 gallons e85 and the rest 91, doing so has so far had zero impact on my fuel economy and I like the peace of mind :p
I thought the same way you did so I added an ethanol content gauge before i even ventured into ordering an e30 tune. I did get my logs reviewed while on 91 then on e30 and they were able to get it running even better after i got my revision, i dont think the canned tune includes it but for the price i think it is worth it.

was stock for 2 weeks. Bought ap and ran OTS S1 93 for two weeks. Stumbled upon strat and purchased the flash tune 91 & 93 tune. Wow am i ever happy with it. 75$? Lol priceless! All i have is a K&N air filter. running Alberta husky 94 and i love it.