Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Only 5lbs of boost (not eco mode)

JayID98

Hey guys, posting here is my lasr resort but i cant figure it out. So I've taken my FiST to 2 mechanics, both did a compression and smoke test, reflashed to stock from stage 2 tune, uninstalled the AP entirely and reinstalled, nothing. I also made sure I didn't set to eco through the steering wheel or valet mode. I can't figure it out. The only other thing I can think of is the wastegate actuator but the last mechanic told me he adjusted it. Figured I get some advice before spending $$$ at a tuner that's 3 hrs away. Car had the stock turbo replaced, upgraded intercooler, turbosmart bov (I installed recently), engine mounts, and stage 2 93 octane tune. Also mapped a data log through datazap if anyone needs it. Much appreciated.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Did you confirm the boost control solenoid is functioning properly? Also smoke tests are relatively worthless on boosted cars. It could be a boost leak.

Dialcaliper

Sounds like something bad with the wastegate actuator - 5psi is roughly the base spring pressure.

Is the car throwing any codes?

Possible failures
- bad boost control solenoid
- electrical connection to BCS
- loose or broken vacuum line to wastegate actuator
- damaged diaphragm inside wastegate actuator.

OP
JayID98

JayID98

Thread Starter #4
Did you confirm the boost control solenoid is functioning properly? Also smoke tests are relatively worthless on boosted cars. It could be a boost leak.
I have not ill test it when I get home, do you know what the ohm spec should be?

OP
JayID98

JayID98

Thread Starter #5
Sounds like something bad with the wastegate actuator - 5psi is roughly the base spring pressure.

Is the car throwing any codes?

Possible failures
- bad boost control solenoid
- electrical connection to BCS
- loose or broken vacuum line to wastegate actuator
- damaged diaphragm inside wastegate actuator.
No codes whatsoever (other than the oil life maintenance light just coming on yesterday lol). Considering even me trying everything with the AP, I figured it has to be something mechanical. I should have a voltmeter laying around somewhere, ill test the solenoid and actuator when I get home. Do you know the factory ohm spec for the ST solenoid?

It sounds like you have a boost leak, the smoke wont show you where the leak is but the smoke is probably under 1 PSI and the compression test will be mostly for internal issues. I would take off your intake filter, cap it off with a boost leak tester and pressure the system by 5 psi at a time and you'll hear where the boost leak is and then you can determine if it's a loose fitting, cracked intercooler, broken coupler, etc.
Here's a link to a random tester I found online:
https://powerdrivendiesel.com/produ...utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=572065&v=7516fd43adaa

OP
JayID98

JayID98

Thread Starter #8
It sounds like you have a boost leak, the smoke wont show you where the leak is but the smoke is probably under 1 PSI and the compression test will be mostly for internal issues. I would take off your intake filter, cap it off with a boost leak tester and pressure the system by 5 psi at a time and you'll hear where the boost leak is and then you can determine if it's a loose fitting, cracked intercooler, broken coupler, etc.
Here's a link to a random tester I found online:
https://powerdrivendiesel.com/produ...utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=572065&v=7516fd43adaa
I might as well try that but I had already taken it to 2 mechanics to do a compressions test, which is why I haven't tried that yet. I just checked my wastegate actuator yesterday, increased about 2 mm and gained .7 lbs. I'm thinking maybe my boost solenoid is out of wack/ consistently opening my wastegate. Any other possibilities are appreciated