Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Opinion time guys

Ok so I have to admit I've been playing with the idea of buying a totalled fist just to build race car. But with just having an accident and denting the fender and snapping my either tie rod or steering rack end and messing up the door and fender. So wat I'm wondering is what are yalls opinions on that

OP
zumakid70cc
Thread Starter #5
Adjuster take a look at it already? Have any pictures?

Glad everyone is okay!
Not yet ND yes pics have them lucky me it wasn't my fault

Attachments

That totaled out the car? Yeesh, looks like minor damage - if you can buy it back for cheap it seems like a great start to a project!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Insurance company wanting to "total" that would be some crooked shady shtif. You *never* know what you'll get into underneath it all, but bumper cover, fender, repaint the door, pull/pound out the wheel well and prime it, wheel and tire, possible steering linkage components... guesstimation 3-4k for a guy off the street... add another $500 or $800 for a woman off the street... 5k for a business, 6 or 7k for insurance and 14k if govt is paying for it...

You have to take care of your primary ride before considering something as optional as a project race build. We don't know anything about the condition of your current vehicle, but assuming its spent its entire life down South and away from the coast, rust is not really a factor. If the oil has been changed regularly and the engine solid, it is better to fix what you have versus start with a new car payment. (provided it is fixed right)

If all this costs you little or no money because the other party and/or their insurance isn't trying to bend you over, then this wreck changes nothing but time.

OP
zumakid70cc
Thread Starter #9
Insurance company wanting to "total" that would be some crooked shady shtif. You *never* know what you'll get into underneath it all, but bumper cover, fender, repaint the door, pull/pound out the wheel well and prime it, wheel and tire, possible steering linkage components... guesstimation 3-4k for a guy off the street... add another $500 or $800 for a woman off the street... 5k for a business, 6 or 7k for insurance and 14k if govt is paying for it...

You have to take care of your primary ride before considering something as optional as a project race build. We don't know anything about the condition of your current vehicle, but assuming its spent its entire life down South and away from the coast, rust is not really a factor. If the oil has been changed regularly and the engine solid, it is better to fix what you have versus start with a new car payment. (provided it is fixed right)

If all this costs you little or no money because the other party and/or their insurance isn't trying to bend you over, then this wreck changes nothing but time.
I agree šŸ’Æ% Monday I'm having it towed to the ford dealership and getting it fixed hopefully it won't take forever. I wanna use the car as my daily/weekend track car long term.

Nowadays what totals a car is if the Air Bags go off, with some cars that alone can be up to a 14K hit. If the airbags didn't go off that is repairable but you'll want to see the measurements of the front end alignment immediately after the repair and don't sign off on the repair if the alignment is not within the factory specification. Because some shops will straighten the body until it looks good and call it done. When that happens you can end up with a car than cannot be aligned to spec and eats tires like salt water taffy. So tell the body shop up front you will not sign off on the repair until a third party shop passes the alignment as good to go.

PS; what the auto companies charge for an air bag is near criminal. Parts they get for maybe 20 bucks and charge 300 dollars for is offensive. IMO every car owner in the country should start lobbying their legislators to so something about these ripoffs.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Nowadays what totals a car is if the Air Bags go off, with some cars that alone can be up to a 14K hit. ..... ......... ................ ................ ........ ..... ... ................ .............. ....... .......... PS; what the auto companies charge for an air bag is near criminal. Parts they get for maybe 20 bucks and charge 300 dollars for is offensive. .............
Sounds like Takata is trying to pay for the dirty bomb debacle. Wonder whether other manufacturers are both taking advantage of the supply shortage and paying for their own increased cost to insure their business; in light of the fact that they're selling more bombs than ever. If I could disable all those bombs without getting a cacophony of lights and whistles, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^YES!!
For what it co$t$ to replace some of the exploding whoopee cushion parts/devices, one could spend FAR less just paying their insurance company an increased medical liability premium over what factory bag equipped cars pay (yes, IF they would even ever agree to that at all).

I am so old, that I may just take my mortal chances eventually, and dump the steering wheel, and seat bombs when i go for aftermarket, 'NON Joan Claybrook' sanctioned versions. [wink]

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My son just got hit and knocked off the interstate at 70 mph 2 months ago.....totaled his 9 month old Mitsu Mirage...he walked with zero injuries thanks to those airbags after rolling the car and hitting a armco barrier. To each their own but our family will keep airbags.