Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overboost Turbo problems? - advice plse..

Andygums

I have a 70k mile UK 2015 Fiesta ST3 from new that has just been serviced. I'm told by a non ford garage that i may well have an overboost issue with the turbo as when giving it some beans, the service light comes on and the car initially pulls hard and then completely backs of into limp mode. Anything nearing 2500 revs triggers the issue every time. Normal driving of the car is absolutely fine bar a much reduced Mpg. His diagnostic kit wasn't able to pinpoint the exact fault. My local Ford dealer wants £90 for an inspection only...would anyone be able to suggest a better course of action/what the fault might be? as there is clearly something amiss that I'm keen to fix. Being overtaken by a Vauxhall in the week has certainly focused my mind...thanks.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a 70k mile UK 2015 Fiesta ST3 from new that has just been serviced. I'm told by a non ford garage that i may well have an overboost issue with the turbo as when giving it some beans, the service light comes on and the car initially pulls hard and then completely backs of into limp mode. Anything nearing 2500 revs triggers the issue every time. Normal driving of the car is absolutely fine bar a much reduced Mpg. His diagnostic kit wasn't able to pinpoint the exact fault. My local Ford dealer wants £90 for an inspection only...would anyone be able to suggest a better course of action/what the fault might be? as there is clearly something amiss that I'm keen to fix. Being overtaken by a Vauxhall in the week has certainly focused my mind...thanks.
So was there any codes present at all? Is there a boost leak or a charge pipe hose blown off? This can be done by tracing the charge pipes and hoses. But You will need to do a boost leak test to see if you have a leak.There are tons of videos on YouTube and testers available on line but you will need an air compressor or access to accomplish this test. Keep us up to date! Good luck mate!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
About 22,000 miles! WOW! That's low mileage for buildup..... How often do you change the oil? And what Type of fuel cleaner did you use?

First of all I started to use 98 octane fuel instead of 95 octane fuel and it was better but not solved.
After that I started to use 100 octane fuel and it was even better.
Then I ordered ELF PERFO 105, which is 113 octane fuel and the problem was over, but the fuel price was crazy.
Oil changes every 7500 km https://www.aci.cz/mi-79535-millers...olej-triesterova-technologie-5-l_d295915.html
Additivum: https://www.autokelly.cz/Product/AC-VF019/9420398

I Wish we had 98 octane here readily available!
What fuel do you have at disposal?
In my country is it 95 octane fuel (recommended in my Fiesta ST Owner´s manual), which has compulsory 5% alcohol as a biocomponent.
Plus 10% costs 98 octane fuel, which has Ethyl terc.Butyl Ether to reach more octanes. ETBE comes from alcohol and is considered as a biocomponet. So no need to add alcohol. The fuel has also less olefins and makes less dirt inside the combustion chamber.
And also 100 octane fuels with more ETBE and various injector cleaners and so on

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
We also have 93 with Ethanol 10% formulated into it. I Run e50-e60 with My Gen2 GTX2860R BT. In the winter time here they formulate the gas differently due to the cold Temps we get into. So it cuts into its ability to provide good combustion*

the duke

About 22,000 miles! WOW! That's low mileage for buildup..... How often do you change the oil? And what Type of fuel cleaner did you use?
Seriously, that's aggressive. I'd wonder how your fuel filter is.

I Wish we had 98 octane here readily available! I'm glad you found a fix!
Europe doesn't use AKI, they use RON.
  • 87 AKI = 91 RON.
  • 91 AKI = 93 RON.
  • 93 AKI = 98 RON.
  • 100 AKI = 104 RON.
  • 104 AKI = 108 RON.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
First of all I started to use 98 octane fuel instead of 95 octane fuel and it was better but not solved.
After that I started to use 100 octane fuel and it was even better.
Then I ordered ELF PERFO 105, which is 113 octane fuel and the problem was over, but the fuel price was crazy.
Oil changes every 7500 km https://www.aci.cz/mi-79535-millers...olej-triesterova-technologie-5-l_d295915.html
Additivum: https://www.autokelly.cz/Product/AC-VF019/9420398
Millers is good stuff, but a 4.08 HTHS is a bit too thick for these engines, unless one is constantly open tracking their FiST in the extreme heat (or running a long stretch of steady state 230+ KPH speeds on the Autobahn, or any of the other Euro super-highways).

That high TBN number could also indicate a very high calcium/sulfated ash content which would/could also lend itself to intake/injector/combustion chamber deposits, as well as possible LSPI. [:(]

Well.
No engine has crashed yet because it did not use the best possible oil, but every engine crashed when it had no oil.
The oil I use:
Has the fully syntetic base (PAO and esters)
Has change every 7500 km
Has oil level check often
The engine has maximum 3000 revs and small load until the engine oil temperature is 60 deg. Celsius.
So I will continue testing my new suspension setting, assuming that the engine has good working conditions