Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OVT's Compound Twin Turbo FiST

hey folks, owner of OV tuning, www.ovtuned.com

Picked up a 2014 Black FiST as the new project car, and have finally decided what we are going to do. The idea sounds crazy, but this is our plan:

-We are going to retain the stock turbocharger, so that we don't loose low RPM response / torque.
-The downpipe / discharge from the stock turbo will flow into a V-band EFR 7163, along with a Tial 38mm EWG.
The 7163 will feed the stock turbo, which will be set to run about wastegate pressure. The 7163 boost psi will be static. the stock turbo will be managed so that it is not working nearly as hard as it does stock.

This way we should be able to retain stock like response, without any top end loss. Already gathering parts and have the 7163. Plan is right now not to go past stock fueling system (if possible)

Couple of questions for you forum folks, if anyone knows...
- highest safe Rev limit for the 1.6 ecoboost? We plan to turn it at least 7500 rpm.
-stock fueling HP capacity, haven't really found a reliable answer as to just how far the stock fueling will go

starting with a bone stock FiST, and going all out ^_^. Right now car is still stock as we're figuring it all out.

J2FoRS

Sounds interesting. What sort of gains are you expecting out of TT setup? Also pics of car and goodies. Keep us entertained!

OP
O
Thread Starter #3
Sounds interesting. What sort of gains are you expecting out of TT setup? Also pics of car and goodies. Keep us entertained!
Nothing crazy, hoping to get 300/300 to the wheels with minimal lag. The entire point of this setup is for minimal lag, with a very wide power-band, without having to rely on aux fuel, and retaining as much stock drivetrain components as possible (like clutch / fueling/ etc). assuming the stock drivetrain can handle it.

We're thinking this setup, considering the stock turbo in a higher gear can get over 10psi at 1500 rpm, We think we'd be able to get the 7163 fully spooled by 2000-2500, and hoping for peak torque as early as 2500, without power falling off

Izzy

Subscribed...looking forward to this. 300/300 is precisely what I want.

hey folks, owner of OV tuning, www.ovtuned.com

Picked up a 2014 Black FiST as the new project car, and have finally decided what we are going to do. The idea sounds crazy, but this is our plan:

-We are going to retain the stock turbocharger, so that we don't loose low RPM response / torque.
-The downpipe / discharge from the stock turbo will flow into a V-band EFR 7163, along with a Tial 38mm EWG.
The 7163 will feed the stock turbo, which will be set to run about wastegate pressure. The 7163 boost psi will be static. the stock turbo will be managed so that it is not working nearly as hard as it does stock.

This way we should be able to retain stock like response, without any top end loss. Already gathering parts and have the 7163. Plan is right now not to go past stock fueling system (if possible)

Couple of questions for you forum folks, if anyone knows...
- highest safe Rev limit for the 1.6 ecoboost? We plan to turn it at least 7500 rpm.
-stock fueling HP capacity, haven't really found a reliable answer as to just how far the stock fueling will go

starting with a bone stock FiST, and going all out ^_^. Right now car is still stock as we're figuring it all out.
Stratified has an aux fuel kit for the FiST so fueling is no longer an issue. With the addition of extra fueling capability up to 500+whp I'd say go for it! But packaging is going to be a nightmare; I have a Tial EWG off the factory manifold going into a downpipe and there is nothing left for space with just that! I still think that using a supercharger/big turbo combo will package better. The boost bypass valve is used under vacuum so the supercharger is not being used, switch it to boost reference and when the larger turbo starts to kick in it will bypass the supercharger! Supercharger can handle boost from off idle to 4000rpms, big turbo will carry from there to 7500!! DO IT!! (*in Arnold Schwarzenegger voice)

OP
O
Thread Starter #6
Stratified has an aux fuel kit for the FiST so fueling is no longer an issue. With the addition of extra fueling capability up to 500+whp I'd say go for it! But packaging is going to be a nightmare; I have a Tial EWG off the factory manifold going into a downpipe and there is nothing left for space with just that! I still think that using a supercharger/big turbo combo will package better. The boost bypass valve is used under vacuum so the supercharger is not being used, switch it to boost reference and when the larger turbo starts to kick in it will bypass the supercharger! Supercharger can handle boost from off idle to 4000rpms, big turbo will carry from there to 7500!! DO IT!! (*in Arnold Schwarzenegger voice)
Understand fueling isn't an issue, but we want to retain stock fueling, and maximize everything without relying on anything except the stock ECM. There has to be somewhere to fit a second turbo :p

Stock fueling without any help like water/meth injection or aux fueling? DHM and MaPerformance have a lot of data in this forum about fueling. I'll be looking for your compound success because I really feel that a compound set up is the best of both worlds (I have a compound set up in my Cummins)...

I don't think anyone has found the upper limits for our RPM range on the 1.6 EcoBoost, judging by its architecture it should be capable of 8-9k, however the valvetrain will almost certainly need upgraded to avoid valve float and things snapping.

OP
O
Thread Starter #9
I think the engine should have zero problem revving to at least 7600 RPM. We rev the mazda MZR 2.5L to 8K just upgrading the rods and valvesprings ^_^. Does the Fiesta head have rollers / lifters or buckets? We're quite new to this platform, don't really intended to bring anything to the market, this is more of my personal fun car / shop project.

I've always wanted to do a compound turbo 4 cylinder, and I think the Fiesta ST is such a nice platform for it.

I think the engine should have zero problem revving to at least 7600 RPM. We rev the mazda MZR 2.5L to 8K just upgrading the rods and valvesprings ^_^. Does the Fiesta head have rollers / lifters or buckets? We're quite new to this platform, don't really intended to bring anything to the market, this is more of my personal fun car / shop project.

I've always wanted to do a compound turbo 4 cylinder, and I think the Fiesta ST is such a nice platform for it.
Mazda has a diesel compact compound set up, could get some packaging ideas from it. The timing belt is the limiting for higher revs, but a Kevlar belt will solve that as well as better springs. Piper cams from UK has higher rating springs for their Stage 4 cams, could use those... it's out there, just have to put it together!

Right now your RPM limit is going to be caused by the ECU. The Cobb AccessPort has a hard limit on how high you can go.

OP
O
Thread Starter #12
Right now your RPM limit is going to be caused by the ECU. The Cobb AccessPort has a hard limit on how high you can go.
now is this actually due to cobb, or limits of the stock programming? Are these ECU's 16 or 32 bit?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Factory hard limit is 7,700 RPM.

Going to be a tight fit with a compound setup, I have the 6258 EFR now and there is room left but not a great deal of it, it is for sale, going to a GTX.

PhoenixM3

Factory hard limit is 7,700 RPM.

Going to be a tight fit with a compound setup, I have the 6258 EFR now and there is room left but not a great deal of it, it is for sale, going to a GTX.
A little off topic, but do many opt to raise the redline to 7K or over? I'm wondering if the valve train or rods would be the weak point...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have been at 7400 for months now and many tuning runs to that RPM, sounds great as well!

No use if on the stock turbo though, it runs out of steam way before then.

OP
O
Thread Starter #17
I have been at 7400 for months now and many tuning runs to that RPM, sounds great as well!

No use if on the stock turbo though, it runs out of steam way before then.
Perfect, We'd be satisfying with 74-7500rpm

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PunkST Fiesta ST Tracking, Autocrossing & Dragstrip 27