Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

P2282 - Air Leak Between Throttle Plate and Intake Valve

kevinatfms

Anyone else get this code only at high RPM?

It seems it only comes up when im in 3rd gear at redline during track days or autocross. STFT and LTFT both show fine. Spraying carb cleaner around the intake produces no discernible issues or engine stumble.
Going through the Ford workshop manual DTC and pinpoint diagnosis test(Pin point test HG per the manual) it states check PCV/evap harness for leaks and smoke test evap system. I assume that a check valve is leaking or broken at some point causing the excess air from the PCV/evap system hose assembly into the intake.

Making this thread to track the progress for this fix since it seems a few people have had issues in the past. I am doing a trackcross event this weekend and plan to datalog to see when it happens through the STFT and LTFT. It should indicate when it goes leaner than usual as its only at extremely high RPM cycles(holding 2nd or 3rd gear).

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think it would go richer, no? At high RPM you are making boost and if the leak is downstream of the turbo, you would be losing that air. The car only has vacuum in the space between the throttle and intake valves when not in boost.

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #3
I think it would go richer, no? At high RPM you are making boost and if the leak is downstream of the turbo, you would be losing that air. The car only has vacuum in the space between the throttle and intake valves when not in boost.
I would assume a boost leak code would pop up at that point. Its an odd code as it specifically looks at the PCV system leaking air into the intake manifold after the throttle body.

Im going to datalog the boost, SFTF and LTFT and see what goes on. Its even more odd that it only happens at WOT at extremely high RPM(like during an autocross or track day). Running around town and it does not set a code.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would assume a boost leak code would pop up at that point. Its an odd code as it specifically looks at the PCV system leaking air into the intake manifold after the throttle body.

Im going to datalog the boost, SFTF and LTFT and see what goes on. Its even more odd that it only happens at WOT at extremely high RPM(like during an autocross or track day). Running around town and it does not set a code.
From my experience the engine won’t throw codes with a boost leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #5
From my experience the engine won’t throw codes with a boost leak.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont think its a boost leak per say. I think the ECU is seeing a vacuum leak after i let off the throttle on a sustained high RPM pull such as those in autocross and track day events where i hold 3rd gear entering a corner at 5500+rpm. Maybe DFCO is causing it to pull vacuum from the evap hose or a leak at the MAP o-ring? No clue at this point.

It will hold 26.25psi of boost in 3rd and 4th gear. I plan on datalogging the next event and send it to the tuner since its a mystery at this point.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Since this thread is older than mine I'm going to bump. Getting the same code as well. So far I've changed: crankcase vent valve, valve cover which includes pcv valve, checked all vacuum lines and made sure both catch cans were closed, cleaned throttle body, reinspected and reinstalled intake gasket for both manifold and aux fuel, bought a brand new manifold as a known good, rechecked throttle body gasket and realigned, recalibrated throttle body, replace MAF sensor, checked for leaks in all charge pipes, tightened all bungs including tmap sensor, installed new o ring in map tap for better seal, bought new oil dipstick, checked for exhaust leaks, resealed exhaust anyways. I cannot find where this p2282 is.... The only other options I have are 1 tune isn't measuring air properly or 2 an intake valve is messed up. I would otherwise ignore it but it's causing an excessively high number of misfires at high rpm. With a tech in the car with a diagnostic tool in mode 6 we saw 500 misfires on both cyl 2 and 3 in 10 seconds at 4000 rpm held.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #7
Mine ended up being the PCV/EVAP hose which connects the throttle body to the evap solenoid and intake hose. Replaced it and it hasnt come back.

Check the o-rings(mine had a slight nick) and see if the valve is loose by removing the hose and shaking it. Mine felt like the valve was not fully closing or has something broken inside while the new piece is dead silent a tight.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I actually just bought a new 2015 conversion but am thinking the guy who installed it just used my old purge valve. Did you replace the evap harness and the valve? I can't remember if the part I got from Ron had the valve or not. I'll take it off and shake and see if it makes noise.

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #9
I actually just bought a new 2015 conversion but am thinking the guy who installed it just used my old purge valve. Did you replace the evap harness and the valve? I can't remember if the part I got from Ron had the valve or not. I'll take it off and shake and see if it makes noise.

I replaced just the hard tubing. It included one small valve in it which splits to the intake and intake manifold.

And i can 100% confirm its fixed. Just did a track event yesterday and every condition which would have set the CEL last time occured and no CEL this time.

I replaced just the hard tubing. It included one small valve in it which splits to the intake and intake manifold.

And i can 100% confirm its fixed. Just did a track event yesterday and every condition which would have set the CEL last time occured and no CEL this time.
Do you recall where you bought the hosing that came with the valve. This exact same thing is currently happening to me its only popping the code under boost city driving doesnt pop the code and smoke the car for about an hour....nothing. Would be very helpful to follow your footsteps!!! Thanks for the thread!

OP
kevinatfms

kevinatfms

Thread Starter #11
Do you recall where you bought the hosing that came with the valve. This exact same thing is currently happening to me its only popping the code under boost city driving doesnt pop the code and smoke the car for about an hour....nothing. Would be very helpful to follow your footsteps!!! Thanks for the thread!
I dont remember the part number but its the PCV / EVAP hose assembly that Whoosh sells. I got it through my old Ford dealer since i still have friends that work in the parts/service department. Got it at cost which was significantly less.

https://whooshmotorsports.com/colle...-to-convert-2016-fiesta-st-to-2014-2015-specs

If you can find a dealer to sell at cost it will be less than what Whoosh sells it for but he is about as close as you can get.

d2bz-9c047-e
I believe that is the correct one! Yeah I might have to get it. My cousin owns a shop so we get cost from like autozone/ O’Reillys etc. So I’m going to try that before ordering through whoosh. I really hope this fixes that problem half it did for you it’s such a pain!! And thanks again for replying so fast to the thread