Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Painting Intercooler πŸ€”

Issafit

U.S. Army Veteran
So i have the black whooshmotorsports intercooler. However i wasnt silver, so i was thinking either painting it silver, stripping it then painting it or just trading someone. Not sure if just repainting it would mess with the functionality of it at all though.

Thoughts?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So i have the black whooshmotorsports intercooler. However i wasnt silver, so i was thinking either painting it silver, stripping it then painting it or just trading someone. Not sure if just repainting it would mess with the functionality of it at all though.

Thoughts?
Powder coat it*

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I would never paint an intercooler, certainly not powder coat (way too thick). Any paint you put on creates a layer of insulation between the metal and the air. That lowers the effectiveness of the intercooler fins. Best to have metal and air touching.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Some of the ceramic coatings claim to actually be (or to
promote) 'heat dissipating' (like CP-E's does), but I am not quite sure that I believe them. [wink]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would never paint an intercooler, certainly not powder coat (way too thick). Any paint you put on creates a layer of insulation between the metal and the air. That lowers the effectiveness of the intercooler fins. Best to have metal and air touching.
The margins are so small it would never be noticed. Or you could get it ceramic coated also* both are great ways to protect your investment and personalize it. It's your CAC ....your choice.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Had to sand the paint off my motorcycle OEM radiator spigots. After eleven years and 65k coolant started to randomly go missing. The paint was starting to break down. Everybody thinks the little bit of black stuff in the coolant is from the OEM silicon/rubber formed hoses but it isn't. That radiator has five connections.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
@vivx - Seems the nutshell of that video would be, larger difference with passive cooling (note: keep out of sunlight), small negative impact to active cooling. One potential impact to cover is dirt/dust adhesion versus corrosion protection. Aluminum or "aluminium" as the Brits say, turns to a white powder as it corrodes. My guess, initially the paint would be a better surface for dirt/dust adhesion, but over the long term the differences would become less significant. (avoid washing a hot radiator BTW)

@vivx - Seems the nutshell of that video would be, larger difference with passive cooling (note: keep out of sunlight), small negative impact to active cooling. One potential impact to cover is dirt/dust adhesion versus corrosion protection. Aluminum or "aluminium" as the Brits say, turns to a white powder as it corrodes. My guess, initially the paint would be a better surface for dirt/dust adhesion, but over the long term the differences would become less significant. (avoid washing a hot radiator BTW)
yeah as a not-so-proud rustbelt inhabitant Im glad my whoosh v3 is coated!