Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Passenger engine mount good times.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
So I have been having various clunking noises during autocross along with the car popping out of 2nd during aggressive breaking. Figured I may need stronger mounts to picked up a new passenger and transmission mount.

I went to unbolt the passenger mount and 2 of the 3 bolts to the chassis were loose with the remaining bolt not being exactly tight. The single bolt on top of the mount was torqued just fine. I can see rubbing in the paint where the mount has been sliding forward and back. I do not think I have heard of this particular issue before so I felt the need to post here.

On a side note, anyone know the proper torque for the center bolt? The factory manual has the whole unit being replaced thus no torque spec for it.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #2
An update of sorts. Shifting into 2nd has been a bit rough, so I went to adjust the cables. I looked closely and the top of the gear selector cable end was up against a tab on the battery box (tab holds the plastic cover secure that is over the computer). I took some vice grips and bent the tab up a bit to give it a couple mm of space. Guessing the Boomba shift kit raised it up just a tad too much. Coupled with the motor moving around due to the sloppy motor mount, the tab could very well have been grabbing the cable and pulling it out of gear on hard breaking. Autocross this weekend so I should be able to get it figured out soon.

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Ill have to check my battery box as well now. Sometimes it seems second is hard to engage on downshifting.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #5
Shifting is so very much smoother now. Wish I had noticed this a year ago lol.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Can you snag a pic? My car's 2-3 is still a little rough, and sometimes the 3-4 feels like I have to "wait" a moment to get into gear if I am accelerating briskly

Knowing what I know now back then I would have done the rmm with the Powerflex engine bushings and upgraded bolt together. The rmm alone is not a panacea for what ails the stock setup 😷

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #8
Can you snag a pic? My car's 2-3 is still a little rough, and sometimes the 3-4 feels like I have to "wait" a moment to get into gear if I am accelerating briskly
It may be a bit before I get back to that spot, Been working more OT hours than regular time for the last month. Below are some pics from the manual.

1567100266745.png

1567100330246.png

1567100450554.png

Knowing what I know now back then I would have done the rmm with the Powerflex engine bushings and upgraded bolt together. The rmm alone is not a panacea for what ails the stock setup 😷
I agree! I wonder if a stiffer RMM just increases wear and tear on the upper mounts? My driver's side mount pooped out after I added an RMM and did about a couple autocross events.

I agree! I wonder if a stiffer RMM just increases wear and tear on the upper mounts? My driver's side mount pooped out after I added an RMM and did about a couple autocross events.
Well if only the rmm stiffens up, the engine mounts are going to accept whatever movement there is. When I put the new engine in it was a no brainer to install Powerflex anywhere and everywhere along with the CPE rmm and the upgraded bolt

HBEcoBeaST

force will go towards the path of least resistance meaning the weaker mounts.

I had the rubber on my psmm fail and I'm at 66,000miles. When I took it out I could move the mount almost it's entire range of motion just with my hands 😩 bolt was in tact though

To the OP I noticed"rough" shifting especially into 2nd over rough pavement and I'd find myself 'looking for gears' occasionally. Now that I've replaced my motor mounts with new OEM+inserts that is all eliminated. It feels right and slides into gear like there was a magnet. No excess play.

Much more better👍🏾

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is one reason I went with the Mountune shift adapter! After multiple attempts with other shift adapters.....Mountune comes out on top.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #14
It is not the first issue I have had with the Boomba system. Had to take a dremel to my reverse lockout in order to get it to slide all the way down, had to chase the threads for the shift knob because they were just far enough out of spec that my Lathewerks knob (with metal threads) would only spin on about 1 revolution.

On a different note, the Vibra-Technics road spec engine and transmission mounts are very nice parts and I am quite happy with them so far.

Did you guys really hate the stock shifter that bad you HAD to rip it out? Animals!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The sloppiness of the shifter reminded me of that one drunk chick at all the house parties you went to in Highschool! Just all over the place & really awkward:ROFLMAO:

Just went out this morning to pull out my passenger TTR. Wasn't confident I had everything tight. Had a biotch of a time getting the large center "threaded fastener" torqued to the 160ft/lbs spec:ROFLMAO: These TTRs and AWR88 rmm are def among my favorite upgrades!

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #19
Weekend update. With the smoother shifting also comes the car popping out of 2nd gear each and every time I slam on the brakes during autox. I took off my heavy steel knob and it still did it. I just finished removing the transmission side short shifter and reinstalled the stock knob. I will figure out tomorrow if the problem persists. Last think in my toolkit to try is swapping out the RMM. It is possible that the Mountune one got stretched / damaged with the sliding psmm and has too much play. If that doesn't do it, I am guessing that something inside the transmission itself is the issue. A cursory web search found quite a few hondas and mazdaspeed3's with this problem.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #20
Removing the transmission side short shift adapter, along with putting back on the stock shift knob did the trick. Stayed in gear all day today.