Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Performance Igniton Coils

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #21
Just trying to figure out a coil that uses more windings for a more intense spark. Not that there is anything wrong with stock coils....I am just trying to figure out options for people. If they wanna get fancy they can if they so desire.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #22
When I turbo charged by '86 Fox body we used upgraded ignition to fire a spark though a more densely packed charge. The N/A guys wanted (and still want) a hotter spark for a better burn. These days we turbo guys are re-gapping our plugs for a colder spark to avoid cooking our plugs. With this in mind, what's the upside of a more powerful coil if we're asking less of it as we dial-up boost?

Directly from Stratified (http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/spark-plug-tech/): "For the Ford Ecoboost we still recommend a plug that is one step colder than OEM for mildy bolted cars especially since 21+psi of boost is quite common. For highly modified cars that see a lot of heat it is advisable to try a plug which is two steps colder than OEM."

I beat on my FiST - it's a track day car: I drive to the track, pound on it for 3 20 minute sessions, and drive it home. I certainly prefer OEM reliability over an aftermarket coil that is capable of producing a hotter spark that I won't ever use.

That said, there's no gains to be found with exhaust upgrades, either, but they sound and look cool, so that's on my list. I can't hear more powerful coils.

@TyphoonFiST: you're soooo close to having a giant killer! Forget about upgraded coils and get a tubular manifold for the GTX!
Thought about el Ebay tubular manifold.....if I'm doing that...then I'm doing am the TIAL actuator in either an 16 lb. Or 18 lb spring. I also have ATPs upgraded 2 piece v-band style clamp. So.....with that happening....the Turbo could come out and get all the other accommodating Mods then.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thought about el Ebay tubular manifold.....if I'm doing that...then I'm doing am the TIAL actuator in either an 16 lb. Or 18 lb spring. I also have ATPs upgraded 2 piece v-band style clamp. So.....with that happening....the Turbo could come out and get all the other accommodating Mods then.
Not one of the Ebay specials but one of the kits that remove the v-band adaptor all together. I'm hearing stories about much earlier spools on the GTX with a truly bigger manifold. They are more pricey than an Ebay special but they really uncork the GTX.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #24
Yeah the Peron manifold is like $1000 plus....I've talked to my tuner and other Tuners....all felt the best option would be the upgraded Wastegate actuator by TIAL. ATP said this also and increasing the Cold and hotside piping. ...but I dont want clanging pipes producing false knocj....I haven't see any aftermarket Pipes coming with mounting points like OEM.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
................. .......... .. ............. . .............. . ................ . ................ . ............. . ............... ... ............... That said, there's no gains to be found with exhaust upgrades, either, but they sound and look cool, so that's on my list. I can't hear more powerful coils. ..........
Due to repeated failures in the past, went ahead and paid ~$700 for a quad set @ https://energycoil.com/ (Canadian) and believe it or not, the motorcycle does sound a little different. It doesn't have near the complexity of the exhaust system that a FiST has though. What's interesting, the coil resistances are much higher than OEM. So it doesn't operate the spark gap tester tool at anywhere near the gaps that the OEM coils do. Works quite well anyway though. (as long as I have enough octane anyway)

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Yeah the Peron manifold is like $1000 plus....I've talked to my tuner and other Tuners....all felt the best option would be the upgraded Wastegate actuator by TIAL. ATP said this also and increasing the Cold and hotside piping. ...but I dont want clanging pipes producing false knocj....I haven't see any aftermarket Pipes coming with mounting points like OEM.

Whooshes pipes and I know I'm gonna cringe.... Mishimoto hot side both have mounting points. Whooshes is a 2 bolt design mishimoto is an open end mounting holes (single).

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk