Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Plastic Radiator Shroud pop rivet stripped from Factory

Hey all. I'm trying to do the "factory air box mod" where you make a small cut in the plastic at the intake snorkel area to allow cool air in. To secure access to this area, you need to remove some factory Phillips pop rivets.

I can remove the middle one but not the rightmost one which appears to be stripped from the factory.

Any ideas on how I can get it out without breaking the plastic on the Shroud or the part that connects to the headlight housing? I'm stumped and I know if I use brute-force then I'm going to break something!

I'll see if I can get a photo.

In the future I'm also going to need to temporarily remove this pop rivet for other reasons so any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
a small screwdriver or pick and pry under the screw head while rotating the screw and they usually come out. sometimes the pick or screwdriver will pop the philips head push lock completely out without having the rotate it.

mine have come out at least 5 times now and none have broken.

OP
Thread Starter #3
Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Made a small 2"x1" hole where you can't see unless you're under the car. I have some sharp scissors but they wouldn't cut through - had to use a sharp knife.

I haven't tested temps/IAT or anything (will mess around this week if I have time) but I'm looking forward to trying it out with the cool fall Bay Area we're getting now.

The 100+ degree indian summer weather really inspired me to try this out. No overheating issues bone stock with my 2016 so far, knock on wood.

OP
Thread Starter #4
Also, has anyone done any testing with the rubber weather stripping between the plastic radiator shroud and the intake snorkel on vs. off? I imagine that it may help isolate the intake area from hot engine air but it may also block flow.