Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Please help with gearbox oil amount

Hey guys
My mechanic put in 1.75 litre of oil
Remember reading you are supposed to have 2 litre if you have an uprated diff like mine
Is this true? Will 1.75 do damage? Running an s280 build soon
Thankyou

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm not sure there's a definite answer, but when I changed my transmission fluid, I filled it until it overflowed from the fill hole, which means I put in at least 2 quarts. I did that at 60k and nothing is leaking at 98k so I don't think having a little more will hurt anything. I've heard people say that the tranny is underfilled from the factory.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/transmission-fill-level.25278/#post-425838

Fill till it drips, approx. 2.3 liters. 15k on mine no leaks so far, slightly more than factory spec but no underfilled anxiety.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Differences in fill levels occurred after the manual switched between metric and standard, when measuring from the fill hole. So it's just a rounding difference. Most ST will probably never have their fluids touched, aren't driven hard and will probably never experience an issue. Since there are some that are driven hard and have had issues, it is better to air on the side of caution and use the higher fill spec. It's just fluid sitting in the case that gets sloshed around by the gearing and movement of the vehicle. There's no pump and is not under any pressure. There's no risk in going with the higher fill spec. I've used the full synthetic Castrol brand fluid. In placing the hole where they did, it's apparent the engineers made it impossible to truly overfill.

Last edited:
Confirming the above statements. Fill it until the fill port overflows, close the port and DONE.

I buy two liters of Ravenol MTF-3 and change it every 60k kms. MTF-3 because in Montréal, we regularly go under -30c during winter.