Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Plug and Play Mishimoto Oil Catch Can

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I decided that I didn't want to wait for Moroso or Boomba or anyone else to make a plug and play oil catch can. So here is what I did:

Parts ordered:

1. Motorcraft KCV279 PCV Hose $19.94 Rockauto
2. Mishimoto MMOCC-RB Black oil ctch can $84.95 Ebay
3. Fumoto Engine Oil drain Valve (F107N) $29.11 Amazon
4. Two M12 washers $ 0.49 Home Depot
5. Drossbach Split wire loom 1" $ 8.95 Amazon
6. #14 x 3/4" sheet metal screw $ 1.18 Home Depor
67. M6 nut and washer $ 0.89 Home Depot
Total: $145.54

Tools:
1. 3mm Allen wrench
2. 1/4" Drive Socket Set with universal joint
3. Exacto blade
4. Needle nose pliers
5. Small step drill bit
6. Short cordless drill
7. Abrasive disc grinder
8. Teflon tape
9. Spring loaded drill punch

The Mishimoto oil catch can is pretty much complete, except that it has a magnetic oil drain plug. I decided to install the oil catch can on the passenger side strut, so there is not much room to drain the catch can without removing the catch can. Here is what the catch can looks like.

[/URL][/IMG]
I replaced the magnetic oil drain plug with a Fumoto F107N oil drain valve.

I placed two 12mm washers on the threads for the fumoto valve. This was done to reduce the number of threads inside of the catch can, to reduce the amount of pooling oil when the catch can is drained. I also slotted the drain with an abrasive disc grinder (Not shown in photo below).

There is a stud sticking out of the passenger side strut, which is a 6mm stud. I used this as one of my mounting points.

This is what the catch can looks like with the Fumoto valve and hose nipples installed.

This is what the oil catch can looks like mocked up.

I punched in the location of the hole for the sheet metal screw for the top of the mounting bracket, then drilled a hole, using the step drill.

The top and bottom of the oil catch can can be removed, by removing the allen head fasteners. Note that the bottom of the oil catch can has silicone sealer to prevent oil from seeping out of these fasteners. I removed both the top and bottom plates of the catch can, so that the hose nipples and the Fumoto valve lever were in locations that I needed them in. The valve lever points to the fire wall, and the top nipples point to the front of the engine bay.

The next step is to remove the existing PCV hose. Careful with the intake side of the hose, as you need to pull the hose, after pushing the clip, and you can catch your hand on the refrigerant freon block. I kept the old hose and cut the Rockauto hose at the location shown with the pen. One end of the hose hooks up to the PCV valve, the other side to the oil catch can.

The other end of the PCV hose is removed from the valve that mates to the intake. I used an exacto blade and a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the hose from the valve nipple. Take the Mishimoto reinforced hose, place the end into boiling hot water, then press the hose over the nipple. I used a hose clamp to make sure there are no leaks, but this is probably overkill, on this side of the hose. Plug this end into the intake. Route this hose along the same general route as the original PCV hose, and secure it to the catch can.
This is what the finished install looks like.

I installed high temp split wire loom over the clear hose to give it that OEM look.

All complete.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Excellent write-up.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, I'm thinking of further modifying the can by inserting a flared 9/16" brass tube with drilled holes on the inside of the can, then placing stainless steel pot scrubbers in the can. It will depend on how much oil vapor I see coating the inside of the clear tube. I also want to extend the Fumoto lever so I can better reach it, to drain the can out.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I want to see how quickly this starts collecting oil and how much it accumulates.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I'm at the Ford dealer, so I removed my catch can and hoses. Here is the amount of oil I collected.

I noticed that the nylon reinforced tube that I used was slightly collapsed and had some oil in it. I decided to use silicone, wire wrapped hose, and I'm going to mod the interior of the can to trap more oil, as shown in my previous sketch.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Mishimoto came by today, working on getting us an official plug n play kit direct from Mishi

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I was not satisfied with the collapsed clear plastic, fiber reinforced hose that comes with the Mishimoto oil catch can, so I decided to replace it with some thing better.

I had previously modded the catch can to add a 5/8" Dia. copper tube and several stainless steel pot scrubbers placed in the bottom of the can. I attached the copper tube to the bottom of the right side inlet aluminum hose barb. This forces the gas down the copper tube, and out of holes and notches cut into the side of the tube, then through the stainless steel pot scrubbers. This increases the surface area that the vapor laden air passes through, inside the catch can.

I purchased a wire-reinforced, silicone hose (5/8"ID), and removed the Mishimoto hose. It was obviously not doing its job, and was partially collapsed.

This is what the new hose looks like. I used some tape to mark the length I needed, then cut the hose with a hack saw blade.

This should not collapse now!

Is the silicone hose you used compatible with oil? I know most silicone hoses say not to use with oil at all.

It looks really snazzy.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Yes, the ID of the hose is specially formulated for oil, and the wire winding prevents collapsing. Not all silicone hoses can be used for oil. This hose has a fluorosilicone layer, manufactured by Silflex, especially for oil mist applications.

Yes, the ID of the hose is specially formulated for oil, and the wire winding prevents collapsing. Not all silicone hoses can be used for oil. This hose has a fluorosilicone layer, manufactured by Silflex, especially for oil mist applications.
Ahh perfect, exactly what I was wondering. I need to get a new hose on mine. I got a reenforced power steering line, and it collapses under vacuum (not totally but enough that I want to get rid of it).

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Is the silicone hose you used compatible with oil? I know most silicone hoses say not to use with oil at all.

It looks really snazzy.
What he said because they can become brittle...looks great though.

Weird tap a talk didn't even display the responses earlier.
That happens to me occasionally, you have to reload the thread on the phone sometimes before it shows new posts (pull down to refresh on the iPhone). I've done the same thing responding to something earlier in a thread.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
O.K. here's the thing. I might have found this at work, so I really do not know the price or where they got it from (distributor), but If I did, it would be on my previous post, just saying. Probably cost an arm and an leg if I know aerospace stuff.

I don't see the pictures don't know why. Can You send me pictures of how you connect the hose in to the intake and in to the pcv valve at the engine cover (ricardomedina1966.fm@gmail.com) Also I try to push the clips to take out the pcv oem hose and I am scared to break the clips. How is the trick to pull them out?

Thanks !

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
You pull back the clips that are on the hose ends and then pull the hose to remove the hose ends.