Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pops out of 2nd gear; Rebuild?

Hey there,

I don't actually own a FiST but a focus ecoboost, so both cars have the same b6 transmission which is why I'm here.
Anyways, a few months ago I installed the whoosh short shifter bracket/plate and now my transmissions pops out of 2nd gear on downshifts and even some upshifts. I put an e-focus rmm on it and while it makes the car feel better as a whole, 2nd still pops out. From here I understand I probably have to replace the fork and synchro for 1-2, but I can't find these parts anywhere. Does anyone have any recommendations on how else to fix this without pulling out this transmissions or where to buy parts for it? Thanks.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
You need to adjust the shifter cable so that second gear is fully engaged.

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
You need to adjust the shifter cable so that second gear is fully engaged..
Yeah that would be really nice but here's how ford "fixed" my adjuster when I was having sensor issues 2 years ago. I'm guessing I should try and replace the cables before going for a rebuild? IMG_6585.jpeg

Last edited:

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Many others as well as myself have had a similar problem as you.
The fix was only the adjustment of the cable.
I am sure it would MUCH cheaper to replace and adjust the cable rather than rebuild the transmission.
I am sure if you removed the trans, you would then want to replace the clutch just to be sure as well.
I would definatily try the cable first.

OP
B
Thread Starter #5
What in the hell? Did they tell you this? I can't imagine you'd accept that.
I definitely wouldn't have accepted it this way but didn't realize until I put the short shifter on a few months ago. Really mad about it and headed to the dealership tomorrow to try and get them to order me the cables for free since they broke them.

OP
B
Thread Starter #7
Remove the short shift adapter and see if the issue persists. I've heard that this can happen with short shifter setups and/or weighted shift knobs. If the issue goes away with the adapter removed and you don't want to give up the shortened throws, either get an adapter with a different design (like Mountune's) or a lighter shift knob.

I had the full Boomba short throw kit with the stock knob and never popped out of gear, but sometimes 2nd was a little more vague than stock.
Thanks for the thoughts, I've had the short shift kit uninstalled for about a month now and made sure to do the adjustment just as the manual says.

Remove the short shift adapter and see if the issue persists. I've heard that this can happen with short shifter setups and/or weighted shift knobs. If the issue goes away with the adapter removed and you don't want to give up the shortened throws, either get an adapter with a different design (like Mountune's) or a lighter shift knob.

I had the full Boomba short throw kit with the stock knob and never popped out of gear, but sometimes 2nd was a little more vague than stock.
This is exactly why I don't use short shifter kits. My OCD prefers the feel of shifting solid in the next higher or lower gear. All short shifters made me feel like I was only "halfway" in gear and I didn't like it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The mountune short shift adapter is the absolute best one out and I've owned 3 and that one is still on the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Two threads to read:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/passenger-engine-mount-good-times.21499/
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/autocross-popping-out-of-gear.20997/

I had very similar symptoms. Caused by a trifecta of:
Shift knob being heavy causing inertia when braking / engine movement
Short shifter transmission adapter being heavy causing inertia when braking / engine movement
Short shifter transmission adapter being tall causing cable boot to rub on battery box

Your transmission may be the same but the parts and pieces around it are not so my problem and solution may not apply to you.

OP
B
Thread Starter #14
When did the problem start occuring?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Probably around the beginning of the summer and I just let it be until September when I took the short shifter off. That didn’t fix it so I reinstalled it, then uninstalled again about a month ago when I installed shifter bracket bushing and an efocus rmm. I then just changed the cables and trans fluid this Sunday.

OP, in my personal opinion if you want to go with a short shifter setup you need to install one that is a short throw from the shifter assembly and not the cables.