Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Possible Trans Driveshaft Seal Leaks?

Noticed thise while under the car doing my radiator job. If you look close, the pic of the passenger side of the trans, that is accumulated fluid on the lip of the trans just past the bearing and seal.

Quick facts: car has been sitting about a week, its been on jackstands in the front for about 4 days. 8500 miles, trans fluid has never been changed as far as I know (not surprising for 8500 miles). I bought the car at 7500 miles in Feb.

The original 3 yr/36k is up as the car was originally registered March of '17 but I'm still in the 5 year powertrain and I also bought an extended warranty when I got it (from a Ford dealer so Ford warranty).

Questions: does it looks like failed / leaking seals? If so, will the dealer try to deny me a claim since I have a RMM installed? Will they hassle me for the other parts I have installed (IC, Mountune rad, wheels, short shift kit, boost hoses)?

When I first got the car, I had like 3 weeks before the original warranty expired so I had my local delaer replace the passenger side drip rail molding on the roof as it was peeling up and they replaced the brake switch which was causing the Hill Assist to not work, no issues with coverage but the car was totally stock then.

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Its weeping for sure. I would bring it in....But the next seal is as only as good as the installer. Some people have had them done multiple times due to most likely the same shitty tech installing them incorrectly. I had mine done and they still look just fine. I spoke with the Tech who was working on mine and he said he has fixed numerous comeback from other Techs not doing them correctly. Good luck!

OP
New_Daily
Thread Starter #3
Its weeping for sure. I would bring it in....But the next seal is as only as good as the installer. Some people have had them done multiple times due to most likely the same shitty tech installing them incorrectly. I had mine done and they still look just fine. I spoke with the Tech who was working on mine and he said he has fixed numerous comeback from other Techs not doing them correctly. Good luck!
Hmm alright then, thanks for the response. What say you about the aftermarket parts?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd been told there was a revised seal also....I'm not 100% what the part number was though. You could always ask then. But maybe they were blowing smoke

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
New_Daily
Thread Starter #5
Got my appointment set for Tuesday morning to take it in. Fingers crossed they don't try to hassle me for the mods :rolleyes:

OP
New_Daily
Thread Starter #7
Why don't you search the forum? This is a common problem that has been documented many many times.
I did actually. And searching now again doesn’t even turn up this thread. At least not within the first 3 pages. Sooo ?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The secret to any search is to use Google. "Ford Fiesta ST axle leaking" pulls up a handful of post about this.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I'm actually having the same issue with my transmission everything inside is solid, lsd 4.3 final gear and the rest but it's got a leak coming from the passenger side seal. I've heard some pretty crazy stuff about Lucas transmission additive and am gonna give it a shot since mine was rebuilt I can't fix under warranty. Lucas works by expanding the seals but it's designed to expand older seals that have shrunk and don't know if it'll work on mine. Worst case I'll need to take it into the shop to have it worked on but I'll report back if Lucas can work it's magic on my transmission.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
When I went to go fill up the transmission with the Lucas I saw clearish brown fluid leaking out the bellhousing. Pretty sure that was tranny fluid

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
New_Daily
Thread Starter #19
Just got a call from the dealer, no issue on warranty coverage under 5yr powertrain. They only had 1 of the 2 seals in stock, but should be done tomorrow. So I guess only thing remaining to be seen is how good of a job they do on the install.

OP
New_Daily
Thread Starter #20
Got it back yesterday, it seems good. I got under the car as soon as I got home. I cleaned up the area of spilled / excess fluid from the install and I’ll check again in, I dunno, 100 miles or so to make sure the leak is actually fixed. But it does look ok for now.

Attachments

Ford Community Posts