Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Post Ford Safety Recall 17S09 (Low coolant sensor) - mountune mTune / Cobb AP - Lack or Flashing

Post Ford Safety Recall 17S09 (Low coolant sensor) - mountune mTune / Cobb AP - Lack of Flashing

Had my 2014 FiST safety recall 17S09 done recently at the Ford dealer and when they tried to reload the MP215 tune it wouldn't do anything.

I contacted Cobb Tuning support and they are aware of this issue. This is due to the Ford PCM update being so different that the MP215 tune or the Cobb tune won't let you load to protect the PCM.

They hope to have a fix available in 2-3 weeks however sounds like they will send instructions to reset everyone's AP who's affected and load it up like the first time ever.

I ended up sending them my AP Info which contains the registered MP215 tune serial number which I believe is ultimately tied to the vehicles VIN.

Can't wait to for them to fix this soon enough, car feels sluggish after all the hardware changes I've done.

Last edited:

Zormecteon

I've had the parts ordered and may be facing the same problem. I asked at the time I started the process at the dealer whether it would require an ECM reset and they said no, but then again they really have no idea what the fix entails until they get instructions. .. Keep us updated please. ..

I got my mp215 directly from mountune.

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #3
Sounds like I will be directly dealing with Cobb to fix this unless mountune steps in. I updated Randy at mountune what Cobb told me so will see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well shit. My car is at the dealer currently getting this recall taken care of and the dealer called me today to say that they finished the hardware install but they were unable to load the new Ford PCM update because of my aftermarket tune. I’m heading to the dealer tomorrow morning with my AP to reload the factory tune so they can finish the work. So this means I have to drive around on the factory tune for a few weeks? This blows.[:(!]

Keep us posted. I’m hesitant to get the recall fixed if I can’t load my tune back in. I have a hybrid turbo and my tuner said I can cause major damage running the factory tune.

Zormecteon

Well shit. My car is at the dealer currently getting this recall taken care of and the dealer called me today to say that they finished the hardware install but they were unable to load the new Ford PCM update because of my aftermarket tune. I’m heading to the dealer tomorrow morning with my AP to reload the factory tune so they can finish the work. So this means I have to drive around on the factory tune for a few weeks? This blows.[:(!]
When I tried to get a new key made, they couldn't get into the (PCM? ECU) programming, saying they were locked out because of the tune. I had to have a dealer reset it back to factory, get the key programmed, then re-install the tune. ... From what I've seen from at least ONE member, the new programming blocks the tune from being able to be reloaded. CRAP. I'll put off the recall fix. If I haven't had coolant loss in 3 1/2 years, I don't suddenly expect it to start, most especially since the effected vehicles exhibited their defect years ago.

Thanks for posting this, I have my appointment for Monday but I am going to cancel it until I know Cobb have a fix for this.

Does anyone know if this exclusively affects mountune flashes or all Cobb AP tunes?

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #9
I asked Cobb Tuning your question and this is their response:

"This would effect all 2014-2015 Fiesta ST vehicles that received the recall regardless of who made the tunes as the ROM is what needs to be recognized and what all tunes are based on. Just sit tight and we should have a solution really soon as our car is back and being guinea-pigged as we speak."

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #10
When I tried to get a new key made, they couldn't get into the (PCM? ECU) programming, saying they were locked out because of the tune. I had to have a dealer reset it back to factory, get the key programmed, then re-install the tune. ... From what I've seen from at least ONE member, the new programming blocks the tune from being able to be reloaded. CRAP. I'll put off the recall fix. If I haven't had coolant loss in 3 1/2 years, I don't suddenly expect it to start, most especially since the effected vehicles exhibited their defect years ago.
I do agree with you for sure, if you monitor coolant levels then really don't need recall. Personally I decided to get it done because they included new coolant hoses, new overflow bottle and most importantly a lower opening thermostat 179F and of course a low coolant sensor. I guess with a major coolant leak it will put the car into limp mode so it can't over heat. I posted in the recall page a link to the 48 page document that shows how to do the recall.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I do agree with you for sure, if you monitor coolant levels then really don't need recall. Personally I decided to get it done because they included new coolant hoses, new overflow bottle and most importantly a lower opening thermostat 179F and of course a low coolant sensor. I guess with a major coolant leak it will put the car into limp mode so it can't over heat. I posted in the recall page a link to the 48 page document that shows how to do the recall.
Does anyone know IF the late '16 builds got the (FULLY open at??) 180*F thermostat as a matter of course from the factory, or if we still have the fully open at 207*F deal?

Were there ANY TSBs issued for the late '16s as far as ECM re-programs go (whether for over-heating/fan turn on temps or otherwise)?

I emailed Cobb today since I haven’t seen anything official from them regarding this issue. I want to make sure I don’t miss anything because driving on the stock tune is killing me.

In a thread on Reddit on this subject Cobb said a fix was coming sooner rather than later. No specific date though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I understand, Cobb has a test vehicle (14-15)that was recently updated with the same part/software. They have to crack the code again, but its not like starting from scratch. I imagine theyll have a new AP firmware that addresses this in the next week or so

TW@

Never realized how much slower the stock tune feels compared to even just a stage 1 tune. Have had a tune on it since I bought the car a few years ago so I've been used to that. Hopefully they get it fixed soon

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #17
Never realized how much slower the stock tune feels compared to even just a stage 1 tune. Have had a tune on it since I bought the car a few years ago so I've been used to that. Hopefully they get it fixed soon
Yep was going to go to autocross next weekend but decided not to until I get MP215 loaded back on, too sluggish for my liking. Guess this makes me appreciate the $$$ I spent on this tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #19
I got an email from Cobb, the update is live and have already updated my mTune accessport. However this update reverts back before the coolant sensor update from Ford. They said they are working on another update that will include the coolant sensor so the safeties can be incorporated just as Ford did.

Zormecteon

I got an email from Cobb, the update is live and have already updated my mTune accessport. However this update reverts back before the coolant sensor update from Ford. They said they are working on another update that will include the coolant sensor so the safeties can be incorporated just as Ford did.
Since it came from COBB and not mountune, may I assume that this if for the mtune..... (COBB tunes) and NOT yet for the mp215 as sold directly from mountune?