Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PSA: Coolant LEAK (Possibly recall related)

XuperXero

So this happened.

So I looked into it and found two causes. Cause 1:

Connector is absolute garbage quality that was deteriorated and broke upon touching, I couldn't even remove the remainder of the connector from the hose so I had to cut the whole section with the connector in it off.
Called Ford dealership and they informed me they had no parts in stock and they have no information on the recall. So I fabricated my own fix

Cause 2:

Coolant tank is also garbage quality with multiple cracks forming. One of them already cracked all the way through (note in the middle with the black line, that's the point of leak where black sediments got stuck in the crack).

Fix it with some epoxy resin.

Final result:

Hopefully this temp fix will hold until dealership gets me the new recalled parts... *cross fingers*

Check your connector and coolant tank guys!

me32

1000 Post Club
Wow that's the 1st of I seen on issues with the coolant tank

haste

1000 Post Club
Are you sure you don't have another issue like combustion gases getting into the cooling system?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Maybe Mishimoto aluminium tank for replacement?
One of the few Mishi parts I might be willing to use (IF; Moroso, Canton, C&R, etc. do not now, or never will make one to fit our ride) if/when my factory tank 'tanks'.

The Porsche 986 Boxter plastic coolant overflow tanks are KNOWN for springing leaks everywhere (my brother has had to replace 2 GENUINE PORSCHE tanks so far AFTER the factory one took a shit), and they are like $350.00+ a pop, so I am not surprised at all that ours can go so soon.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #7
Update: My fix failed, burst coolant all over the engine bay. The clear tube was cut by the edges of the hose clamp. Ghetto fixed with teflon tape on the nozzle attached to coolant hose and shove it in the tank for seal then fastened by by zip tie. Managed to get to work (30km away) without overheating, but still leaked below min and above coolant hose connection. Dealership just called and told me parts arrived, will be leaving after this post to go change it.

Are you sure you don't have another issue like combustion gases getting into the cooling system?
Yes I do. FML. Not even sure where to start looking. I really hope it's not the head.

haste

1000 Post Club
Update: My fix failed, burst coolant all over the engine bay. The clear tube was cut by the edges of the hose clamp. Ghetto fixed with teflon tape on the nozzle attached to coolant hose and shove it in the tank for seal then fastened by by zip tie. Managed to get to work (30km away) without overheating, but still leaked below min and above coolant hose connection. Dealership just called and told me parts arrived, will be leaving after this post to go change it.

Yes I do. FML. Not even sure where to start looking. I really hope it's not the head.
Ah, sucks. If you can fix the coolant leaks for a bit you could always get a combustion gas tester like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #11
Update: Recalled parts are not upgraded, dealership said upgraded parts won't be available until 2018. Coolant still leaks, up on the hoist and it's coming from water pump. Getting that changed too...

Also informed them about the combustion gas smell, they called it normal and not to worry about it. Won't do the leak test for me either.

me32

1000 Post Club
Have you been able to log coolant temps? I'm wondering if your coolant temps are staying hotter than normal causing extra wear an the leaks on the tank. I notice you are also 2013 non USA version..maybe some different things used.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #13
Have you been able to log coolant temps? I'm wondering if your coolant temps are staying hotter than normal causing extra wear an the leaks on the tank. I notice you are also 2013 non USA version..maybe some different things used.
I monitor via Torque app, always between 96C and 99C for most cases, I've only managed to hit 103C once on track.

I did hit 120C twice with this coolant leak though. Surprisingly, at 120C it's only 7/8 bar on the dash temp. Ford is insane and I don't wanna find out what 8/8 is.

OEM Motorcraft coolant since day 1 with one change at 50k km and another now at 79k km due to coolant loss.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #15
Coolant tank and turbo return line. Still same parts as before. Upgrade parts not available until 2018.

Water pump replaced, no more leaks, but car constantly overheats (100-116C range), going to try to burp the cooling system.

me32

1000 Post Club
Coolant tank and turbo return line. Still same parts as before. Upgrade parts not available until 2018.

Water pump replaced, no more leaks, but car constantly overheats (100-116C range), going to try to burp the cooling system.
Sucks it wont be till 2018 on the upgraded tank. Did you do the water pump yourself?

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #17
Sucks it wont be till 2018 on the upgraded tank. Did you do the water pump yourself?
No, the dealer did it. FSM calls for pulling off the timing cover to remove the pump, so I let the dealer do it.
Pump itself costs $165 here and $200 in labor.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #20
Update:

Burping cooling system reveals foamy bubbles in coolant tank. Sounds like I have a leak. Coupled with combustion gas smell in coolant tank means it's either head gasket or cylinder head. FML