Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PSA: New Brakes should not squeal or grind...

Over the past two weeks I encountered a number of issues. The culprit were my front brakes, but the hard part was the diagnosis. I hope this PSA helps anyone who may be in a similar situation in the future.

How it started: while coasting (at practically any speed), I could hear a rotational noise. It was a mixture of squealing and grinding. Upon braking, I was also getting a (different) squealing. When braking to full stop slowly, I would hear and feel grinding. I was totally confused by the myriad of sounds (mostly squealing at different pitches plus grinding), and took my vehicle to the Ford dealer. I figured something was touching my rotors, but what was causing all that squealing? My brakes were practically brand new (front rotors were replaced at this dealer just the week before... and all was good originally).

They discovered a clip as part of the brake pad assembly touching the rotor (caused a groove, too). They 'adjusted' the clip and sent me home. I found that the noise was still very evident. I took it back and they said they could not adjust the clip again (it won't stay in place), so they will replace the brake pads and resurface the rotor. They clip does not come by itself, only as part of the brake pad set. They sent me home again once again, thinking that all had been resolved. Each time they claimed they had test drove the vehicle. I found that the squealing sound while coasting was gone, but when I hit the brakes I would still get the squealing. It was loud, obnoxious, and occurred at almost any speed. It was present during light and moderate braking. I could hear it even over highway noise. I took the vehicle back with my complaint. They asked me to just drive it and break the pads in. I drove it, a lot, and when the squealing still persisted, I took it back.

They didn't know what was wrong, as everything appeared normal. For a period of time, they suspected a bent caliper. Ultimately, they discovered that it was 'bad brake pad material'. They replaced the front pads and resurfaced the rotors again. The car is absolutely quiet now under braking. I don't care what some people say about the "aggressive brake pad material"... new brakes should not squeal, grind, or feel unsafe!!! Mine was all of the above.

I had two bad sets of brake pads in a row, and should show you that this is not uncommon! Please do not settle for some excuses that your dealers give you... "You have aggressive brake pads...", etc. Your new brakes should NOT be squealing or grinding at all! Since my original pads (which, as I mentioned, very recently replaced), and subsequently replacement pads were faulty, everything was covered under parts warranty. My brakes are perfectly quiet now - as they should be! If something is wrong with your vehicle, especially if it is under warranty, insist that they take care of the issue! Be persistent, but always polite. I am very happy to have my vehicle back. Hope this was helpful to someone.

Was your car brand new ? I got mine brand new had it for 5 weeks now and sometimes I can hear something kinda grinding not sure if it was normal ?

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Was your car brand new ? I got mine brand new had it for 5 weeks now and sometimes I can hear something kinda grinding not sure if it was normal ?
My car is a 2014 CPO.

The brakes (all four corners) were essentially brand new. Front rotors were replaced at the dealership of purchase. All brake pads were replaced by them as well. I drove the car about 1 week before the issue occurred (horrible sounds). Every part you buy from Ford will have a warranty that covers a defective part.

You'll have to describe what kind of grinding, as there can be many types and probably many sources of the problem. With my grinding, I could feel it in the brake pedal. It would occur while slowly coming to a stop. It was a rotational grind that would occur as the wheels were turning.

If there's anything unusual, take it to your dealer. In your case, utilize your bumper-to-bumper warranty. Ask them to check it out and fix it. I always recorded videos (mainly for audio in this case) to show my service advisor, and I always offered to 'replicate the issue' if the technician could not do it.

It isn't bad it's almost if I can just hear the brakes braking haha if that makes sense ?

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
It isn't bad it's almost if I can just hear the brakes braking haha if that makes sense ?
Suffice to say it's probably pretty normal to hear brakes braking :) Perhaps you're kinda imagining it, as we often do. Keep in mind if you bring your vehicle for any issue, they will have to replicate and acknowledge it. I had tons of videos/audio recorded to show them how severe (and annoying) my issue was. They were also able to replicate without any trouble at all.

But the moral of the story is, your brakes should not have any abnormal squealing or grinding, and our pads being an "aggressive compound" or considered performance brakes/performance vehicle is not a valid excuse. Especially if your brakes are new!!

I have 865 miles on my '16, and I'm noticing noise from the brakes when applying light to moderate pedal pressure at low speeds. I don't THINK it has been there since the day I got it, but it's possible I'm just now noticing it. I don't quite know how to describe it. It's not quite a "grinding," but just the sound of "friction," for lack of a better description. Normal, perhaps? I'm probably just being overly sensitive. [wink]

Suffice to say it's probably pretty normal to hear brakes braking :) Perhaps you're kinda imagining it, as we often do. Keep in mind if you bring your vehicle for any issue, they will have to replicate and acknowledge it. I had tons of videos/audio recorded to show them how severe (and annoying) my issue was. They were also able to replicate without any trouble at all.

But the moral of the story is, your brakes should not have any abnormal squealing or grinding, and our pads being an "aggressive compound" or considered performance brakes/performance vehicle is not a valid excuse. Especially if your brakes are new!!
The real question is what is "abnormal". Indeed the 2014 FiST comes with very high metallic content pads that have tremendous bite and wear the rotors pretty quickly. These pads do indeed make fairly loud scrubbing sounds and grow surface rust really quickly. Most people who buy a fiesta have no idea what real high performance brakes sound like. They are quite noisy. Anyway, what the dealer did for you is likely install the later pads that are much softer for less noise. Unfortunately they affect the braking performance as well. The overwhelming majority of owners are like you and don't want to "hear" any sounds from the brakes.

OP
S
Thread Starter #8
The real question is what is "abnormal". Indeed the 2014 FiST comes with very high metallic content pads that have tremendous bite and wear the rotors pretty quickly. These pads do indeed make fairly loud scrubbing sounds and grow surface rust really quickly. Most people who buy a fiesta have no idea what real high performance brakes sound like. They are quite noisy. Anyway, what the dealer did for you is likely install the later pads that are much softer for less noise. Unfortunately they affect the braking performance as well. The overwhelming majority of owners are like you and don't want to "hear" any sounds from the brakes.
FYI - Each time I took my vehicle in, the service advisor and technician would drive the vehicle and come back with their eyes wide open. They'd say, quite frankly, we have no idea what that is but we can definitely hear it and feel it. Not sure why you post is full of condescending and judgement in tone. My advice to others is to make sure Ford fixes it. It's easy for consumers who don't know any better to take excuses (you know when your service advisor has a day off and someone else trys to shoo you away without even understanding the full extent of the issue?), but you should know what your car should sound like in stock form and if you don't, then its best to get a reference.

I highly doubt my dealer would install different (non-OEM) pads, and then lie about it. Does your dealer often do this to you? I've had multiple set of OEM pads on the vehicle, so I have a baseline. The braking feel and bite is absolutely astounding on mine currently, just like when I first got the vehicle, so if these are 'softer pads' like you presume, then these softer pads rock.

I've driven multiple STs and consider them to be relatively quiet, so I don't necessarily agree with your statement. I've also driven vehicles with more aggressive brake and pad setups and there is a discernible difference, IMO. Maybe its just yours that are just annoying with 'loud scrubbing sounds'.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
To clarify, OEM brake pads shouldn't squeal or grind. The more performance oriented you get with pads, the more noise they'll inherently make.

Scent from Glade Air Freshener

FYI - Each time I took my vehicle in, the service advisor and technician would drive the vehicle and come back with their eyes wide open. They'd say, quite frankly, we have no idea what that is but we can definitely hear it and feel it. Not sure why you post is full of condescending and judgement in tone. My advice to others is to make sure Ford fixes it. It's easy for consumers who don't know any better to take excuses (you know when your service advisor has a day off and someone else trys to shoo you away without even understanding the full extent of the issue?), but you should know what your car should sound like in stock form and if you don't, then its best to get a reference.

I highly doubt my dealer would install different (non-OEM) pads, and then lie about it. Does your dealer often do this to you? I've had multiple set of OEM pads on the vehicle, so I have a baseline. The braking feel and bite is absolutely astounding on mine currently, just like when I first got the vehicle, so if these are 'softer pads' like you presume, then these softer pads rock.

I've driven multiple STs and consider them to be relatively quiet, so I don't necessarily agree with your statement. I've also driven vehicles with more aggressive brake and pad setups and there is a discernible difference, IMO. Maybe its just yours that are just annoying with 'loud scrubbing sounds'.
Not trying to be condescending, but Ive become quite cynical reading about the "problems" people seem to have because so many people that buy a Fiesta ST are relative noobs to cars in general. It is difficult to accurately assess "noise" without hearing it first hand and I can tell you for sure that the Ford "technicians" responses in general are not a reliable source of what is "normal" or not. Also if you review the production history of the FiST brake pads they've been changed several times to try and reduce the noise. If your perceived problem was corrected by the dealer then I'm happy for you. Enjoy the car because it is quite good for the money.

The fact that your dealer screwed up the install of the anti-noise hardware and damaged a rotor should be an indicator of their competence... Just sayin'