Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Clicking Clutch Conclusion

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
So some of you might know about my clicking clutch on my car; I've mentioned it multiple times. Well I took it to the dealership a couple months back and they replaced the whole clutch assembly, which I was extremely happy with due to my other dealership telling me they wouldn't. So for a few weeks it was quiet, like a normal clutch in every other manual car I've driven sounds like. But unfortunately the sound came back. So I made another appointment to drop it off last week.

I drop it off and that same day get a call from them saying the techs say it's a characteristic of the part and there's nothing they can do. So I'm mad, ha. So I go onto the internet, which I probably should have done before, and see if anybody else has had this problem. Come to find out it's a very common thing for this car, which is crazy to me. I don't know how Ford, knowing the problem exist in multiple cars, doesn't replace it? I mean they obviously have other manual cars that don't click so why not use those parts?

So to the point of the thread, I'm going to try and remedy the problem myself. I've seen people on other forums use some sort of spray lube to fix the problem. My question to the car guys on here, is which one of these would work best, you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-L616-Lithium-Grease/dp/B00200EFJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436578526&sr=8-1&keywords=liquid+wrench+white

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-L512-Lubricant-CERFLON/dp/B000CPJLE4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436578465&sr=8-3&keywords=liquid+wrench

And just for reference, I've made a quick video. It's more for audio purposes than visual, obviously. The first couple seconds are the first click my car has while engaging, then the next couple of clicks are further down in the engagement, closer to the floor.

[video=youtube;7Z1wJgHqKz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z1wJgHqKz4[/video]

It's annoying as hell to drive in traffic in the city and have to hear these "clickings" every single time I go to shift gears. And I don't think the whole "put your window down, turn the music up" to not hear the clicks suffices as a resolution for this problem. This should be taken care of Ford. This shouldn't be a something you take to a dealership only to hear them say, "You'll have to live with it. Sorry. It's just how the car is suppose to sound." That's bullshit if you ask me.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I used marine grade bearing grease, rubbed it all over the clutch pedal assembly area as much as I could, not a squeak since and that was a year ago

haste

1000 Post Club
The only time I really notice it is when dragging the clutch slightly during shifts to 2nd gear.

That is one noisy clutch, kip... Can't believe there's 'nothing they can do', especially after the replacement started up again. My clutch sure doesn't sound like that, it can't be exactly normal operation.. was that all just sitting still pushing the clutch in and out?

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I used marine grade bearing grease, rubbed it all over the clutch pedal assembly area as much as I could, not a squeak since and that was a year ago
Can you link me the product? And maybe take a quick photo of where you put it?

That is one noisy clutch, kip... Can't believe there's 'nothing they can do', especially after the replacement started up again. My clutch sure doesn't sound like that, it can't be exactly normal operation.. was that all just sitting still pushing the clutch in and out?
And my exact response as well. No other manual I have ever driven makes that sound, ever. And that's their response to it, "just live with it."

And yes, that's just sitting in my garage pushing it in and out. Now imagine that noise every time you push in and let out your clutch in stop and go traffic... yeah, it's annoying as hell.

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
There have been a good many people who have said they also have this noise so this is an announcement to them as of what I was told by the dealership. And the conclusion part is that I was told to deal with it. So my next step is to hopefully take care of it by myself.

If you'd like to contribute though any advice in what grease to use would be extremely helpful.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I have no advice on what grease to use because this is not a normal characteristic of the car, even if that's what your PSA is trying to say. It doesn't make the noise on my car and others within the thread, and I'm sure a poll would show that it's not applicable to the majority as well. And it's not exactly a conclusion if you're still dealing with it and while I understand what you're trying to say, it just doesn't make sense to make a huge announcement over a problem that afflicts very few.

But nonetheless, good luck trying to fix it on your own. In my eyes this is still a warranty claim, regardless of what your dealership is telling you. I would get a different dealership.

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm just trying in form people who are having the same problem.

This is already my second dealership. The first one didn't even look at it. Just said it was a common problem and told me to come pick the car back up. This last dealership has already replaced it once and didn't do it this time. So to be honest I'm getting a little annoyed with having to drop my cat off every month, talk them into giving me a rental only to find out they aren't going to anything.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Yeah, I get it. I'm sure you understand what I'm saying as well. Instead of starting a thread asking for help you titled it in a manner as though you had a solution alread and that it was a common problem. Quite honestly, I can't recall it being so widespread that it is easily recalled in my mind.

Actually, I do have a recommendation-white lithium grease. That's what is used by auto manufacturers on hinges and many other low-load moving parts because it's thick and won't run. Find some and go to town.

That's assuming it's pedal or linkage related; we actually know very little about your actual symptoms. Maybe it's pedal-related, maybe its internal to your clutch, maybe its somewhere in your linkage-who knows? It sounds more like interference to me, but trying to troubleshoot a black screen from across the internet is difficult.

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Yeah I guess I could have worded it a little better. And its feels like it's the bottom of the clutch arm making that noise. I can actually feel the click on the bottom of my shoes, that's how aggressive it is. Now I'm not very good when it comes to the workings of a car so I don't really know all the parts you just named.

I would love to go to another dealership and get it fixed permanently but it's such a hassle to go through for just another dealership to tell me it's a common problem and send me on my way.

me32

1000 Post Club
It doesnt bother me. Mine does it but not really a big deal. Radio drowns it out. Mines an early model. 7/2013. I just assumed it was normal charastics of the car. Doesnt seem to affect anything.

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
I'm just not okay with just turning the radio up and being a fix for something that's not common in any other manual cars. And in the winter when I don't have the windows down and radio isn't loud it's loud as shit and annoying.

me32

1000 Post Club
I'm just not okay with just turning the radio up and being a fix for something that's not common in any other manual cars. And in the winter when I don't have the windows down and radio isn't loud it's loud as shit and annoying.

Lube it up. Thats all that seems to be the issue.

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
That's what I plan on doing this weekend. Just need to figure out exactly where the click is coming from.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
And just for reference, I've made a quick video. It's more for audio purposes than visual, obviously. The first couple seconds are the first click my car has while engaging, then the next couple of clicks are further down in the engagement, closer to the floor.

[video=youtube;7Z1wJgHqKz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z1wJgHqKz4[/video]

It's annoying as hell to drive in traffic in the city and have to hear these "clickings" every single time I go to shift gears. And I don't think the whole "put your window down, turn the music up" to not hear the clicks suffices as a resolution for this problem. This should be taken care of Ford. This shouldn't be a something you take to a dealership only to hear them say, "You'll have to live with it. Sorry. It's just how the car is suppose to sound." That's bullshit if you ask me.
Wow..that's quite a loud clutch pedal creak you have there!

I usually drive with the stereo off and I can tell you that my clutch pedal doesn't make any noise and is relatively quiet and smooth when depressed...Hope they get this resolved for you...I'd be annoyed too...

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Wow..that's quite a loud clutch pedal creak you have there!

I usually drive with the stereo off and I can tell you that my clutch pedal doesn't make any noise and is relatively quiet and smooth when depressed...Hope they get this resolved for you...I'd be annoyed too...
Thanks. I'll be talking to some managers and hopefully some higher ups from here on out.