Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quality of Gas for E-30 tunes

Spork1569

Hi all,
I have been contemplating trying out an E-30 tune for a while, but have had some hesitancy since there's only one station near me that has it.

My question though is regarding the quity of the gas. As far as I know the station that sells e-85 in my area isn't top tier gas(Sylvas Oil), so for people in a similar situation do you just use the 91/93 octane you find at the station you get E-85? Or do you take a tank to fill up with E-85 and take that to your usual station with you?

I usually fill up with Shell here in CA or any top tier gas if that's not available, so while the power of the E-30 tune sounds nice, I'd rather not comprimise on gas quality if it comes to that.

HBEcoBeaST

you can fill with e85 then drive to your normal gas station to top off 91 just stay off boost. i used to do this.

a lot of Chevrons with diesel sell e85 too. i use the gas buddy app and flex fuel finder but last i checked only 1 or 2 e85 stations in ventura

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #3
you can fill with e85 then drive to your normal gas station to top off 91 just stay off boost. i used to do this.

a lot of Chevrons with diesel sell e85 too. i use the gas buddy app and flex fuel finder but last i checked only 1 or 2 e85 stations in ventura
Awesome, guess I'll do that since there's a shell not too far from the E-85 station. Would you be running the E-30 tune or a pump gas tune on the drive from one to the other?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I've mostly stayed away from the e30 tune. I think I am waaaaaaaay too likely to forget what tune I am running and fill with normal gas.
All the e30 tune really did for me was finish off my stock tires a lot quicker than expected :p

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Awesome, guess I'll do that since there's a shell not too far from the E-85 station. Would you be running the E-30 tune or a pump gas tune on the drive from one to the other?
Even after you fill up with e30 mix, you still need to drive around a bit to get that e30 into your fuel lines and so on, so you should stay on a pump gas tune for XX miles. As for how many XX miles is, someone else will have to chime in. I ran for 20 miles after putting in e30 before switching tunes and it was fine.

HBEcoBeaST

If it was my first e85 fill up ever I would stay on the 91 tune until you had a full tank of E30 and had driven 5 or so miles. Once you're running empty on an E30 tank no need to switch tunes, just don't go WOT if you're running a blend besides E30.

Stratified cleared up a lot of my own similar questions. They told me our ECU is constantly measuring fuel needs and adjusts accordingly.

If you're running a canned tune don't over think it. I constantly fill with 3.5gal e85 and 7ish gal 91. Been doing it for almost 2 years with only 1 or 2 regular 91 tanks when I was traveling. Car runs like a champ.

If it was my first e85 fill up ever I would stay on the 91 tune until you had a full tank of E30 and had driven 5 or so miles. Once you're running empty on an E30 tank no need to switch tunes, just don't go WOT if you're running a blend besides E30.

Stratified cleared up a lot of my own similar questions. They told me our ECU is constantly measuring fuel needs and adjusts accordingly.

If you're running a canned tune don't over think it. I constantly fill with 3.5gal e85 and 7ish gal 91. Been doing it for almost 2 years with only 1 or 2 regular 91 tanks when I was traveling. Car runs like a champ.
this this makes me feel a lot better as my E85 station nearby only sells 91 octane. but I'm curious do you think there's any advantage to running a 93 octane for an e30 blend instead of the 91?

Would you just run less E85 if you had 93 available or would you still do 3 .5/7 gallons?

HBEcoBeaST

this this makes me feel a lot better as my E85 station nearby only sells 91 octane. but I'm curious do you think there's any advantage to running a 93 octane for an e30 blend instead of the 91?

Would you just run less E85 if you had 93 available or would you still do 3 .5/7 gallons?
The higher the octane the better. In CA we only get shitty 91. Your tuner will have you specify what gas you are using

slopoke

I typically use Chevron gas because I get 20 cents off with a Safeway card and the quality is top tier. I think the ethanol content of the e85 is more important. I've only been blending ethanol since mid last year and the station that I get my e85 from has always been 85%. Some have stated that the ethanol content of their fuel varies and has been quite a bit lower.

Anyhow at the station I fill my car directly, I can fuel my car from the same pump, I just have to switch nozzles. I do have an ethanol content gauge and after about 5 miles or so on the freeway, I have a good idea what is actually in the tank.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #12
I know I thought they switched sooner but just noticed a 1-2mpg loss. . Less pollution my a$$
What exactly is it about summer gas that sucks so much? Do they produce so much that it's all just less qualitiy controlled?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
What exactly is it about summer gas that sucks so much? Do they produce so much that it's all just less qualitiy controlled?
It’s formulated to evaporate differently and reduce emissions. It’s part of why our prices are so high, I believe the formulation is still unique to California, and we have no pipelines so it all has to be trucked which raises prices even more, before they even add in all the taxes.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #15
It’s formulated to evaporate differently and reduce emissions. It’s part of why our prices are so high, I believe the formulation is still unique to California, and we have no pipelines so it all has to be trucked which raises prices even more, before they even add in all the taxes.
Either way the gallon of E85 you recommended all but got rid of negative corrections I was having. Now the question is how much do you add on each full up, another gallon?

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #17
I usually fill up at 1/4 tank, and add a gallon ish every other fill
Best part is the interested looks I got at the station when I filled up one gallon and drove off.

Also took me a while to figure out the E-85 pump works differently than a regular pump.